Trim Tabs Not Working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Burns

Reaction score
After 9 years on my 2120 Sport Cabin my trim tabs and not working. No movement at all. Luckily they are in the up position.

Going to start troubleshooting tomorrow. Anyone have advice or pointers?

The trim tabs are Lenco delivered on new 2120 Sport Cabin in June of 2013. There is no specific model number that I can find.

I went to Lenco and downloaded the manual for you. I think the troubleshooting guide starts on pg 23. Checking fuses and having a well charged battery are good places to start. Good luck.........

Attachments

• Trim_Tab_Manual_TCHDAT.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 33
Thank you.

Dont know why I didn’t think of that. Must be old age!

I will let let you know how I make out.

Thank you for your input. I have done some trouble shooting and found the trim tabs are actually moving up and down correctly. The control panel indicates there is no movement and only the lower lights on the right hand flicker

Spoke withLenco and they tell me , it is corrosion some where in the wiring. Similar to your diagnosis

Unfortunately I cannot l am not able to do anymore trouble shooting until the weekend. Will post my results

With lenco tabs it depends, lenco has gone from the black control box to that actual tab indicator on the dash being the control pad and the (box). Lenco now replaces the dash tab indicator attached to a cylindrical smart box. So if you have the older square black box and have an issue, you now order the updated lenco controller which is an all in one dash indicator/circuit board. Everything is still plug and play with the deutsch connectors. Signs of the controller going bad is random spaced led's on each side of the dash controller, tabs will still work but lights won't be functional.

I replaced a controller and an actuator yesterday. Buy the cylindrical controller and then plug it in to power, ignition power, port connector and starboard connector. You ahould be good. Also check all your grounds. House and starter battery needs a common ground in since there is an ignition connection. Lenco has good diagrams for all the connections.

I replaced a controller and an actuator yesterday. Buy the cylindrical controller and then plug it in to power, ignition power, port connector and starboard connector. You ahould be good. Also check all your grounds. House and starter battery needs a common ground in since there is an ignition connection. Lenco has good diagrams for all the connections.

Good advice, also, the orange wire is a signal wire and can cause issues. It's meant to be attached to an ignition source or switch so people at boatells tabs trim to the upright position when the battery power is killed to prevent damage from forklifts. Good luck, hope to hear a follow up

I finally had time for trouble shooting my system, and I am sorry to say I had little success.
i have a 21 Sport Cabin and my 1st action was to climb in under the steering console. Now I have had the boat, which I bought new, for 9 years. Fortunately I have not had to do much if anything under there in the whole time I have owned the boat.
When I looked in I was aghast, see photo.
With great difficulty I traced the wires best I could. I pulled the switch out of the console and removed the connector and cleaned the terminals.checked the boat batteries for voltage and then tried to get to the terminals on the trim tabs.
All the wires from the trim tab control box are connected to a harness of wires that go into gunnel running to the back of the boat.
In the stern the wires go into the battery compartment and then into hull. There is no access to the trim tabs so I could check the connections.
Any advice on how to get to the trim tabs, without removing them from the stern?

Attachments

• CD2578B3-5D69-49C2-BC4E-C3CB48E96B0A.jpeg
    CD2578B3-5D69-49C2-BC4E-C3CB48E96B0A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
I see the Lenco control box. It has a heavy sheathed wire that goes to the tab control buttons. Make sure that connector isn’t broken off at the buttons. They break easily.

Things just got worse. I decided to just bite the bullet and replace the switch. Tried to order a new switch. They are out of production. You have to buy a new redesigned switch which encompasses the old switch and the trim tab control box. 😡

I just did the exact same thing. It’s plug and play and fits in the existing hole saw opening of the switch.

Somewhere under the deck are the connectors. Parker did not place them where they are accessible. The wiring is a section that runs from the connectors under the helm to the connectors under the deck. The trim tab wiring is not a single run from the tabs to the control box. You could attach string to the wiring under the helm after disconnecting then pull the wiring from the trim tabs then check those connections for corrosion, then using the string, pull the wiring back into the helm. Tape the string well so as to make the connectors bullet shaped so square edges don't grab anything.

I think I found where the connections are. I believe the are folded in a wire bundle under the engine control adjacent to the helm seat. I think if I lift the seat off the pedestal access might be easier.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will keep you posted on my progress

Attachments

• 62DFF470-D60B-4AB5-B818-A9EACACD0181.jpeg
    62DFF470-D60B-4AB5-B818-A9EACACD0181.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • A306DE7D-5618-4DEA-A5F5-FD504BF7C812.jpeg
    A306DE7D-5618-4DEA-A5F5-FD504BF7C812.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Unfortunately, Parker like most manufacturers uses plugs in many places throughout their wiring harnesses. It is simply a matter of assembly efficiency, and offers no benefit to the end user. Plugs are a magnet for corrosion and electrical gremlins, and are hard to inspect and diagnose issues.

Wherever you find them, I’d replace them with heat shrink butt connectors, or terminal blocks with heat shrink ring terminals if you think there may be a need to disassemble the connection in the future.

I think I found where the connections are. I believe the are folded in a wire bundle under the engine control adjacent to the helm seat. I think if I lift the seat off the pedestal access might be easier.

That is the helm end. There will be another set in the stern.

I think with the Possibility that there maybe a second set of connections at the stern of the boat, I have decided to turn this repair over to the professionals. At 78, I am just not flexible enough to take on this task.

Laying on my back, bending and twisting no longer comes easy so I am going to attempt to concentrate on fishing and not repairing.

Thank you everyone for you support

Yes, the new integrated system combines the old box, and a new clinical master supply that's connected to the led tab switch. Everything is plug and play. I've come across a few boats that act funny during the switch.....but the new integrated motherboard attached to the led selector is the way to go. Seems like a pain, I've seen some fail withing the first year but it's very rare. I'm thankful enough they continued to use Deutch connectors when other brands didn't.

Back