Trim tabs, yes or no

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahare

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Parker 23SE since new and have had 3 different engines on it but never trim tabs. Tell me what I am missing by not having trim tabs. And what size trim tabs are optimal for this boat? I know Parker uses 12 x 12 for this boat, but Bennett recommended 24 x 9 to me. Thanks

Attached is a picture of my 23SE after my converting it to a dual console set up which I like very much. I can post more pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
I have a 1988 Parker 23SE since new and have had 3 different engines on it but never trim tabs. Tell me what I am missing by not having trim tabs. And what size trim tabs are optimal for this boat? I know Parker uses 12 x 12 for this boat, but Bennett recommended 24 x 9 to me. Thanks

Attached is a picture of my 23SE after my converting it to a dual console set up which I like very much. I can post more pictures if anyone is interested.
Do you have trouble getting up on plane? Do you find the boat leaning to the left or right? Unbalanced load? People moving around? If not, then you may not benefit from tabs.
Our Parker (2520XLD) has factory-installed trim-tabs. I don't use/need them to get on plane, but I find them very useful to balance the boat when listing to port or starboard. Now, I would not want this type/size of outboard boat that didn't have them; ('if you never had sugar in your coffee, you you wouldn't know to miss it'). The boat runs best and is more comfortable when it is not leaning to one side or the other. Our tabs are 12" wide X 20" long; they would work better if they were 20" wide X 12" long... From advice here on CP, most folks recommend them to be 'sized' "longer width/ shorter length, and I can see where that is an advantage. If for no other reason, ours are in the way sticking out that far! Your Bennett recommendation of 24" X 9" is the favorable way to installed them. As for sizing, it sounds like that would be a good size for your boat; some might say 'over-sized? but I think the largest size that fits the space is best.

Last edited:

If for some reason you think this crowd would be upset if you posted more pictures of your converted duel-console Parker, you would be mistaken! ☺
This is the first one I've seen like this; yes. more pictures would be great! Did you do it yourself?
(One thing missing on your Parker, are Parker emblems; hey, get with the program!)

I know Parker uses 12 x 12 for this boat, but Bennett recommended 24 x 9 to me.

12X 12 are not Big enough. The Wider the plane.....the less it must be deflected to get results. This results is less drag and better fuel Millage. 24's are pretty Damn wide on a 23ftr with a 8 1/2 beam. On 23's I usually recommend 18's.

I can tell you... 2 identical boats.... 1 has 12 X 12's The other has 24's......The one with 24's will get better millage.

The 24;s may very well look out of place and not be a good fit.... Look at the installation instructions....Do some measuring.....BEFORE you order..... I think your gonna find that the 18's are a better fit.

12X 12 are not Big enough. The Wider the plane.....the less it must be deflected to get results. This results is less drag and better fuel Millage. 24's are pretty Damn wide on a 23ftr with a 8 1/2 beam. On 23's I usually recommend 18's.

I can tell you... 2 identical boats.... 1 has 12 X 12's The other has 24's......The one with 24's will get better millage.

The 24;s may very well look out of place and not be a good fit.... Look at the installation instructions....Do some measuring.....BEFORE you order..... I think your gonna find that the 18's are a better fit.

I agree with you on this, was thinking the 24's might be too wide for that hull. Hitting the switch on the 9'6" hull with 24's for just a second makes a difference! To answer the question, I use mine a lot in everything from running shallower to heavy seas!

all my parkers had trim tabs because they came to me with them. i know there are guys that love tabs. personally, i rarely if ever use them on my 23 se cc. i find the motor trim more than adequate for that boat while running and its so stable i’ve never had a leaning issue.

First off, kudos on maintaining your 1988 Parker 23SE since new and adapting it to a dual console setup – it looks fantastic!

Now, regarding trim tabs, you might be missing out on several advantages. Trim tabs can significantly enhance the performance and overall boating experience, especially on a boat with multiple engine changes. Here's what you could gain:

1. Improved Stability and Ride Comfort: Trim tabs provide better stability, reducing the boat's tendency to rock and roll. This is particularly beneficial in varying sea conditions, offering a smoother and more comfortable ride.
  2. Enhanced Fuel Efficiency: By adjusting the trim of your boat, trim tabs can optimize its running angle, leading to improved fuel efficiency. This can be especially noticeable during cruising and long journeys.
  3. Better Control in Challenging Conditions: Trim tabs allow you to adjust the boat's attitude, providing better control in challenging situations like heavy seas or strong currents. This is crucial for maintaining a safe and predictable ride.
  4. Optimal Planning: Trim tabs help the boat plane more efficiently, reducing time to plane and improving overall planning performance. This is particularly advantageous when dealing with different engine setups.
Now, regarding the size recommendation, it's wise to consider both the manufacturer's suggestion and Bennett's recommendation. While Parker may recommend 12 x 12, Bennett's suggestion of 24 x 9 could potentially offer more surface area, providing greater control and stability.

However, it's crucial to strike a balance. Too large trim tabs can create excess drag and potentially lead to some of the issues mentioned in the previous response. I'd recommend consulting with a marine professional or contacting Bennett directly to discuss your specific setup and get their expert opinion.

Feel free to share more pictures if you'd like, and happy boating!

Back