TRIM TILT

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qsweet

Reaction score
I have a 97' 225 yamaha sws2. Had to replace the seals and dust caps on the two trim pistons, the main is good. I am having a problem getting what i believe to be all the air out of the system. They trim up great but trim down very little if all. I have been raising it completely, opening the cap to release air, adding fluid (if needed), closing the cap, and releasing the manual let down screw and letting it all the way down. Repeat. Done it about a dozen times and it still is about the same... gets a little better but not much. Any recommendations that may help me out? Is it possible i have a faulty check valve in there somewhere causing them to not trim down? Any insight would be great, starting to get frustrated, thanks.

No, the main cylinder will pump up and down fine. When pumping up ive tried to tilt back down before the trims are all the way out and they may move a 1/4" at most and then stop. My thought is that one of the check valves is stuck which wont let them tilt down. I just wanted to see if anyone else though the same before I got taking it all off and apart, or if there was something else that it could be.

It's a self bleeding system. No need to open the bleed valve.

Continue to cycle the trim up/down with the valve closed and be sure the fill reservoir stays "filled" each time you cycle up. You can use the Yamaha Trim/Tilt fluid or simply use any ATF #2 fluid or hydraulic fluid (I know it sounds crazy, but you can easily substitute hydraulic fluid for a hydraulic trim pump). :)

Yea the problem is i cannot get the two trim cylinders to tilt down using the pump. Only the main center cylinder works as it should. Even with all my weight I can not get them to go in.... unless i bleed the valve. I am pretty sure it is not air that is keeping them up... and if it is... how do i get it out cause I have tried everything.

Looks similar to my 115 which does come off without any difficulty....other than dealing with corrosion.
Raise it up and block/secure the motor up.
Remove the top clips and pin.
Retract pistons
Remove the wiring at the solenoids.
Remove bottom clip and pin (this took a little hammer time)

Last edited:
Very possible you have a contaminated shuttle valve or in the system. The question is did this happen before you replaced the rods and seals? Were you thorough to make sure NOTHING dropped into the housing while doing so? The pumps are more sensitive to debri than a carburetor jet.

Very possible you have a contaminated shuttle valve or in the system. The question is did this happen before you replaced the rods and seals? Were you thorough to make sure NOTHING dropped into the housing while doing so? The pumps are more sensitive to debri than a carburetor jet.
I am thinking it is the same thing.... it started doing it before i changed the rods and seals but not as bad... im thinking because it was leaking that shuttle valve is all gunked up or something did get inside. Got one bolt to cut and we will be finding out very shortly. Thanks.

If you like i have very detailed pictures of the pump assembly and how they fit together in order. Also, use Vaseline to hold the balls in. It breaks down immediately in trim fluid and getting the pump back together without using Vaseline can be very difficult

Also I've come across a very similar issue on the same system. If you trim it all the way up, remove the whole system( or you can do it on the boat, just a little more difficult) there is a screen filter that can get clogged, have had it happen on 2 brand new systems with less than 50 hours. Remove just the screen, clean with AIR, and replace. It doesn't take much. Don't use rags or anything else besides air because all it takes is a small fiber. It doesn't take much to clog that screen, it might look clean but clean it out.

Okay so i have the unit off finally.... couple of sheered bolts and headaches later but we got it. My first stop is the shuttle piston as well as the main valve seal / spring seal. I took out the snap ring but the valve seal wont come out? Any ideas on how to get it out? The shuttle piston is locked right now and i think ill need to put it in a press to put enough pressure on the flat head without it slipping. Is this screen in the motor? Do i dare try and take the motor off? Its old and everything seems to be locked up.. go figure lol. Anything you have or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much @Gsully23

I just took my PT/T unit off my 2002 Yamaha 250hp Ox66. No sheered bolts on the main unit, but snapped one off when trying to remove the electric pump on the unit. Luckily a buddy of mine was able to tap it. I replaced the pump with an aftermarket, which was around $100 vs. the Yamaha OEM at over $600. Hope it holds up. I also had all the seals replaced and the fluid changed since it's over 18 years old.

I just took my PT/T unit off my 2002 Yamaha 250hp Ox66. No sheered bolts on the main unit, but snapped one off when trying to remove the electric pump on the unit. Luckily a buddy of mine was able to tap it. I replaced the pump with an aftermarket, which was around $100 vs. the Yamaha OEM at over $600. Hope it holds up. I also had all the seals replaced and the fluid changed since it's over 18 years old.
Nice, was your motor not running? Or were you replacing it just because.

Okay so i got the shuttle piston out and everything looks good. Took the motor off and everything was pretty nasty in there so im cleaning that all out. I cant get the spring seal out at the moment and im guessing this is my main problem. Any insight on if this would cause my issue/ any idea on how to get it out? thanks.

Attachments

• 20210405_085537.jpg
    20210405_085537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Sorry, I didn't see your reply. I have my detailed pictures on a USB at work, but have my ymu book here to help.

We use air to remove the shuttle pistons, a compressor and air pressure and they pop out sounding like a little .22lr.

You do have a 69j unit.

I can't tell exactly what spring your referring to in that picture, enlarge it. There are screen filters that can be removed and replaced. But usually when you remove them you damage them.

Attachments

• 16187074437762371243710241081235.jpg
    16187074437762371243710241081235.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 16187074784927686812083874709363.jpg
    16187074784927686812083874709363.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back