Trollers, Casters, Jiggers-- "Reel" advice sought

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just keep swimming

Reaction score
I am looking to troll, cast, and jig for stripers and blues this summer in new england, and ideally make the occasional run for some smaller tuna or mahi (but this may be 1/2 out of 10 trips). Any recommendations for the size of spinning reel that will "cover the bases" between my 3000s and 10,000 and can be trolled, jigged, and casted to the most fish without losing the fun of it? Thanks!

My current set-ups are not super fancy:
2x 3000 penn reels on 7' medium action rods
2x penn rival 30w on 6'6" boat rods with lead core
1x okuma classic level-wind 450 with a 7' daiwa harrier trolling and jigging rod
1x saragosa 10,000 on a med-heavy 7'2" shimano talus bluewater spinning rod

I've been very impressed with the Penn Spinfisher V reels. The new VIs (with the exception of the Liveliner feature, which is garbage) look even better. The 6500s that I have are a pretty good "all around" reel, when considering the 3000s you have already. Big enough to tackle smaller mahi, cobia, and small skipjack/tuna, although if you're trolling for offshore species you should really be using small conventionals. I have mine paired up with Penn Rampage jigging rods, which are stout enough to handle most tasks.

I can't speak to tuna setups (yet...) but I do a lot of striper fishing and I'm a big fan of the Shimano Baitrunners for a multi-use reel. They're Shimano's version of what pelagic suggested in his post. The Shimanos have a secondary drag knob to adjust the baitrunner drag, and the Penns have a "drag lever" that I can only imagine is annoying and easily bumped out of place. I love my other Penn reels, so if it weren't for the new drag lever I might have switched over to the Penn Spinfishers, but I like the live-liner/baitrunner feature too much to leave the Shimanos.

I have both 6000 and 8000 sized Baitrunners and I use them for casting medium to heavy plugs/jigs as well as chunking and live-lining bunker and mackerel. I think I've even trolled a few plugs with them, too, although I usually leave trolling to my conventional Penn Squalls or Senators. The 8000 and the rod it's on is pretty big/heavy to be casting all day, but when I'm in run-n-gun mode I like to have options and I'll usually have a huge plug tied on to that setup. They're pretty reasonably priced, and they've lasted me a couple of years of abuse so far.

Have you ever used or do you like using low-profile baitcasting reels? I started using a freshwater baitcaster last season and picked up a cheaper saltwater baitcaster and they've been game-changers for my striper fishing. I find them so much more user-friendly than spinning reels for casting - they're usually lighter, cast just as far or farther, and there's no bail to flip on you during the cast. I'd image they're fantastic for jigging as well when paired with the right rod. Plus, my fiancé and friends who aren't fishermen learned to cast with them much faster than with spinning reels (with the spool drag cranked way up to prevent birds' nests). Penn's Squall and Fathom baitcasting series both have pretty impressive line capacities and max drags for baitcasting reels to make them better suited for saltwater. I don't have experience with them yet, but I picked up a Squall 300 size casting reel in the offseason and can't wait to get it on the water. I don't want to sound like a salesman, but if you can use your conventionals for trolling then I'd give it a shot swtiching to a baitcaster for one of your "between 3000-10000" setups.

Pelagic- you never fail to give solid advice, and I appreciate this- I will check those out, but was hoping you wouldn’t say “conventionals”! I have been watching WAYYY too much YouTube this winter to prep for the season in New England and after about 60 Hogy videos I was just hoping to avoid conventional reels as much as possible since with 3 young ones my water time devoted to offshore is limited to say the least. Thank you!

Seaway- love this advice! I have been afraid to try baitcasters but my brother on the panhandle swears by them... if you say they actually HELP with first timers casting then I will definitely check them out, many thanks!

I am looking to troll, cast, and jig for stripers and blues this summer in new england, and ideally make the occasional run for some smaller tuna or mahi (but this may be 1/2 out of 10 trips). Any recommendations for the size of spinning reel that will "cover the bases" between my 3000s and 10,000 and can be trolled, jigged, and casted to the most fish without losing the fun of it? Thanks!

My current set-ups are not super fancy:
2x 3000 penn reels on 7' medium action rods
2x penn rival 30w on 6'6" boat rods with lead core
1x okuma classic level-wind 450 with a 7' daiwa harrier trolling and jigging rod
1x saragosa 10,000 on a med-heavy 7'2" shimano talus bluewater spinning rod

Slight thread drift warning because not a trolling or tuna set up BUT for Stripe Bass Fishing and any sized Blue Fish that swings at what you’re pitching, I have never fished a better set up then a Shimano Tranx 400 with the power handle on a Black Hole Special Spiral 7 3”. Most of my Stripe Bass Fishing is Southwest Ledge at night drifting live eels. I’m out there a lot during the Summer Nights, I’m not gonna get into how many 40”+ Stripe Bass and 30”+ Blue Fish that combo has caught but let’s just say a few and I am very familiar with the characteristics of fighting fish of that class with that gear. The power of that reel and smoothness of the drag in such a small and compact package is nothing short of amazing.

I would not drag an umbrella or big mojos with it but you could certainly troll plugs or soft plastics with it. It’s not designed for trolling but you “could”. Tuna fishing with it ? I have 0 experience but my inclination would be no.

I have some big Penn Spinfishers on the boat, spooled with 50lb test braid that look and feel like you can do anything with them. I use them as guest rods when I wanna put someone who isn’t a fisherman on a big Stripe Bass but I almost never touch them myself because my go to is that Tranx setup.

I do all my Tautog, Fluke and Black Sea Bassing on Tranx 300 mounted on a 6 8” Black Rock, it’s just as awesome as it’s big brother and could also be used for big Stripe Bass but I’ve got it spooled with light braid, helps me to hold bottom with a lighter bucktail when Fluking.....

Last edited:
the by far most versatile multi use set ups on my boat are by far the shimano trevala tvs66mh with saragossa 6000s. they are used regularly for everything you mention except tuna (less for trolling - but i don’t troll much for anything) plus tog, fluke, bsb. for smaller school bft keep the gossa 10k and try to find a good van staal 325g short rod for jigging or longer for casting.

for anything bigger than small school bft you’re going to need a bigger reel and a stronger rod.

I've been very impressed with the Penn Spinfisher V reels. The new VIs (with the exception of the Liveliner feature, which is garbage) look even better. The 6500s that I have are a pretty good "all around" reel, when considering the 3000s you have already. Big enough to tackle smaller mahi, cobia, and small skipjack/tuna, although if you're trolling for offshore species you should really be using small conventionals. I have mine paired up with Penn Rampage jigging rods, which are stout enough to handle most tasks.
I have 6 Spinfisher V ranging from 8500 to 10050. I fish them very hard. I buy the Plus Plan Warranty for $24.00 at West Marine and trade them in for a NEW one every 34 months.

Back