Trolling motor on 2001 Parker 1801 - Bow Rail Concern

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkahan

Reaction score
OK, sorry if I am not following the correct thread for this issue. Based on previous threads and great advice from members, have run the trolling motor wiring, determined location in console of batteries, charger and breaker. Next step is to deal with bow rail and light. Bow light will be removed and separate port and starboard lights added (Taco was mentioned as a good supplier). Wondered if anyone had a picture of the location where the Taco lights were placed such that they would not get crunched at the dock??? next is the bow rail. Regarding the TM, am shopping and plan to purchase the Minn Kota Terrova, 80# thrust, 60" shaft. I'd like to keep most of the rail for grandkid safety and simply cut out out the front nose. My concern is that leaving the remaining sections of the rail will force the TM shaft to block the anchor locker door from opening. Not a huge issue but wondered if anyone who has done this install has any suggestions (pictures at the correct angle to tell clearances, mount location, etc would be great of course) for a newbie. Appreciate any and all insights, suggestions, pictures. Thank you and regards.

Search for a post I made in May 2019...it shows pictures of taco light locations and angle of 60 inch trolling motor that still allows use of anchor locker when motor is stowed or deployed. I think the thread title is Inshore Chaser now owns a 1801. Hopefully this helps. BTW you only have about a 1/4 inch of error room when setting the motor angle to ensure use of the anchor locker.

Inshore Chaser - Thank you for the assist. Taco lights are in and the TM wiring completed (except for the Battery Tender plug). I'm thinking of going with the MotorGuide XI5 for my Parker as you have done. I was originally set on using the Minn Kota since I have a bad back and it had the lift assist but after playing with the MotorGuide yesterday, it should work fine. I'm curious if you have any installation tips?? It looks like you put the TM on the starboard side but I was planning the port side. Any special reason for that? (I may have enough wire to get over to the stbd side but not sure). Note that I have the tall bow rail, cut in the front of course for the TM, if that matters in terms of how the TM head fits. I also plan to use a quick release bracket. I've studied the few pictures you have posted previosly to determine TM placement but really can't pin it down till i have the TM and bracket in hand. Anyway, excited to finally complete the TM project. Thank you again for the help. Regards.

If you're undecided about port/starboard use it correct any list. I had a shop install mine. They put both the motor and the batteries on the port side. Since i am almost always by myself (on the port side, behind the wheel) it created a pronounced port list. I may move something to even out my trim.

Inshore Chaser - Thank you for the assist. Taco lights are in and the TM wiring completed (except for the Battery Tender plug). I'm thinking of going with the MotorGuide XI5 for my Parker as you have done. I was originally set on using the Minn Kota since I have a bad back and it had the lift assist but after playing with the MotorGuide yesterday, it should work fine. I'm curious if you have any installation tips?? It looks like you put the TM on the starboard side but I was planning the port side. Any special reason for that? (I may have enough wire to get over to the stbd side but not sure). Note that I have the tall bow rail, cut in the front of course for the TM, if that matters in terms of how the TM head fits. I also plan to use a quick release bracket. I've studied the few pictures you have posted previosly to determine TM placement but really can't pin it down till i have the TM and bracket in hand. Anyway, excited to finally complete the TM project. Thank you again for the help. Regards.
The only tip I have is to note that the base of the quick release mount can be mounted in at least 2 positions. I have my mount bolted to the trolling motor in the aft most position...allowing the trolling to extend as far possible towards the bow. You may have to study it a bit but you will see how it works. Good Luck!

When these motors are in the "Stowed" position....The prop sticks out on the left side....Thats why the "Ususally" get installed on the Port side....The prop hangs over the edge and if you hit the power button....The prop will free spin and not strike the boat.

Back