Trolling Motor on 25XX or 23XX Pilothouse?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WW128049

Reaction score
Looking to mount a trolling motor on my 2520XLD (2007). Has anyone done so on either a 25' or 23' Parker Pilothouse boat? Looking for installation experiences. I want the trolling motor primarily for "Spot Lock" anchoring and ease of adjustments in deeper water.

And that's what everyone wants them for....1st forget the Minkota....the repair shops are full of them.

Go Rhodan

The ligistic's will be a lot......Bow rail removal.....Yea...I know what your thinking.....I'll just cut a section out.

No...It will look like crap and make a weak rail.

Next is battery storage....3----- 12V batteries take up a bunch of room......Don't even think about tying in your Start and House batteries....It's a completely separate system.

Then the length of the shaft you will need.....Yea it will be big....It will take up a Lot of room...and it will not be pretty on the Bow of a pilothouse.

warthog5":popsf7jx said:
And that's what everyone wants them for....1st forget the Minkota....the repair shops are full of them.

Go Rhodan

The ligistic's will be a lot......Bow rail removal.....Yea...I know what your thinking.....I'll just cut a section out.

No...It will look like crap and make a weak rail.

Next is battery storage....3----- 12V batteries take up a bunch of room......Don't even think about tying in your Start and House batteries....It's a completely separate system.

Then the length of the shaft you will need.....Yea it will be big....It will take up a Lot of room...and it will not be pretty on the Bow of a pilothouse.

Appreciate the reply.

After researching online and speaking with others, including charter captains running other boats, I agree on the Rhodan.

I have seen pictures of trolling motors on a 2520 and a 2320. Neither looked like they modified the bow rails. So, not sure that would be required.

I was thinking of putting the batteries on the cabin floor where my porta potty is now. I sent an inquiry to the guys at Parker and their response was that the floor is capable of supporting 3 batteries.

If anyone in this group has ever actually done a trolling motor installation on he bow of a Parker Pilothouse boat, I love to hear from them. Thank you.

WW128049 just sent you a personal message

I just watched that Youtube vid in the above link.

Not sure how I feel about mounting it like that?

But if your not removing the Bow rail.....there is not much choice.....They will be no more docking on the Port side.......and I'm sure they did it that way , due to always docking with the STB side aginst the dock and vision from helm.

fannin":1wc3yliy said:
A local Charter captain (Pete Dehlberg) here on the Chesapeake Bay runs a trolling motor on his pilot house judge with good results. https://youtu.be/un5JDa2Ztho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this video. I am aware of at least 2 others that have mounted trolling motors on their Parkers in this manner.

I'm getting close to buying a Rhodan for my 2520XL SC and would love to see videos, photos or info from Parker owners who have gone this route. Thanks.

Phil

fannin":2bk5c4qt said:
A local Charter captain (Pete Dehlberg) here on the Chesapeake Bay runs a trolling motor on his pilot house judge with good results. https://youtu.be/un5JDa2Ztho

Pete has his motor mounted on the side like that because he is a Humminbird and Minn Kota pro staffer and longest Minn Kota shaft currently is 72". It works for him because he often has people casting off the bow in shallow water and he was also able to keep his bow rail.

Judge from the factory offers Rhodan as an option due to the fact that they offer an 84" shaft. Here is one on a 265cc, which is the same hull as the pilothouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywqI5B77hAg

I have completed the install of a 36 volt Rhodan with an 84" shaft on my 2520 XL SC and would be glad to text pictures to someone who can post them. It is mounted on the port bow about even with the windlass and folds down to storage position across the deck in front of the forward berth. I cut about 4" out of the railing just forward of the rail support that is even with the rear of the windlass and was able to slide a 9" stainless steel rail tube with an ID of 1.26" over the rail forward of the cut. This is then slid back across the opening and against the vertical post behind the cut to close the opening. Works great!
The three group 31 AGM batteries are located in front of the anchor well access hatch door at the front of the forward berth and the motor plug is installed on the hatch door. The wire from the motor is fed to the plug thru the small hole in the anchor deck hatch. The motor unit had to be shimmed to level it and the nuts and washers were installed by reaching thru the deck hatch door and the forward berth hatch door.....not an easy task.

Note: After making the railing cut, the railing forward of the cut moved outward about 2" due to the tension in the railing. This allowed the 9" rail piece to be slid on. Closing the opening by sliding the rail piece to the rear requires pulling the railing back into alignment . Tension holds the sliding rail piece in place.

Phil

PhilR":1w5z1ind said:
I have completed the install of a 36 volt Rhodan with an 84" shaft on my 2520 XL SC and would be glad to text pictures to someone who can post them. It is mounted on the port bow about even with the windlass and folds down to storage position across the deck in front of the forward berth. I cut about 4" out of the railing just forward of the rail support that is even with the rear of the windlass and was able to slide a 9" stainless steel rail tube with an ID of 1.26" over the rail forward of the cut. This is then slid back across the opening and against the vertical post behind the cut to close the opening. Works great!
The three group 31 AGM batteries are located in front of the anchor well access hatch door at the front of the forward berth and the motor plug is installed on the hatch door. The wire from the motor is fed to the plug thru the small hole in the anchor deck hatch. The motor unit had to be shimmed to level it and the nuts and washers were installed by reaching thru the deck hatch door and the forward berth hatch door.....not an easy task.

Note: After making the railing cut, the railing forward of the cut moved outward about 2" due to the tension in the railing. This allowed the 9" rail piece to be slid on. Closing the opening by sliding the rail piece to the rear requires pulling the railing back into alignment . Tension holds the sliding rail piece in place.

Phil

Phil- Sounds like an installation I and others would like to see. If you text me the pictures, I will post them. I will PM you my text number.

Thank you.
Walt

I texted photos to Walt for posting but he's having a problem due to photo size. Stay tuned.....

PhilR":diwpuuqz said:
I texted photos to Walt for posting but he's having a problem due to photo size. Stay tuned.....

If you’re using a smart phone install Tapatalk. You can post pictures with it.

Can you send these pictures to me? I'm looking at doing the same install on my 2006 2520XLD.

Here's the pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 1,176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,159
I have a 2320 and have a 84" mounted on the bow of mine. I really like it! I went with Rhodan as well and mounted the batteries under the bench seat. I have a charger also installed with 3 31 series batteries. I had a custom bracket made that mounts over my Windlass. I didn't want to lose the ability to anchor if I rafted up or was fishing in super strong current. If any body needs pictures let me know. I did have to cut my bow rail but I fish all the time and noticed very little difference in its performance when I fish. I have thought about putting a hinge system on it with a magnet and had originally had planned on doing just that. But I use it all the time so it is so much easier just dropping it in. I love thing and am glad I can still use my Windlass as well. There are times where I will sit in super strong current for hours and it is nice for me to have both options. With what I did I lost a little bit of Shaft length but am very happy with everything.

PM me if you need a picture.

Rereading on this thread.....I came across something interesting.

Pete has his motor mounted on the side like that because he is a Humminbird and Minn Kota pro staffer

I have a 12 X 40 RV shelter where I work on boats...It is covered above that by a Large oak tree.

Recently I had a 18ft skiff with a Hummingbird & Minkotta setup come in. The job was other stuff.

But what I noticed was the Hummingbird would NOT lock in until moved out from under the shelter.

Every Garmin and Simrad has locked in under there quick and acurate to within 9ft.

So I asked the owner......"So what made you go with a Hummingbird?"

He said "Their the only ones that interface with the Minkotta."

I just nodded my head. :)

What the Hell do you need that for?

You motor to your spot......Looking at your MFD chartplotter.......The wreck pops up on the screen of the Sonar.

Deploy Minkotta and hit Anchor/Spot Lock.....Start fishing. :)

Back