Twin standard rotation motors… anyone with experience?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is an off-the-wall one, but here goes:

After 18 months of waiting for a set of 200 Yamahas, with no estimated time of delivery in sight, I went looking for some answers. Turns out, you can get standard rotation outboards pretty readily, with a fair number in stock. It’s the COUNTER rotating motors that are nearly impossible to find. That seems to be the holdup for the time being, at least.

I’m sure most people can figure out where I’m going with this… realize first that I’m fully aware that this is not the correct or optimal way of doing things. I’m also not interested in changing outboard brand for several reasons, namely local dealer support and parts availability, so I’m not interested in hearing “switch to Suzukis” (looking at you warthog).

So… does anyone have any experience, good bad or neutral, of running two standard rotation outboards (in this case either 150s or 200s, inline 4) on the same platform? Specifically interested in someone who’s seen it done on a Parker, or another bracket boat with the outboards mounted relatively close to one another.

From what I can research, the most common issues are a tendency for the boat to heel to port a bit due to the twin paddlewheel effect, and a bit of loss of twin screw maneuvering efficiency. I can deal with both of those. From the sound of it, this was not necessarily uncommon in the 80s before CR gearboxes were commonly available. I haven’t really heard of any true horror stories, wondering if anyone has.

The plan would be to get the motors on the boat, then swap to a CR lower unit once one becomes available. This isn’t a permanent solution, but I’m pretty discouraged thinking about sitting out another season without motors.

Am I totally insane?

Did You know ?

Suzuki has engines that turn Right....and then be programed to turn left. :)

Then all you do is stick a left hand prop on it....Yes...It's True....Been building them that I know of since 2013

I do remember twin boats omc rigged without counter rotating and it wasn’t even an issue. At least my neighbors didn’t care or know. I. Eat steering was a little more difficult. This was early eighties 25 makos with twin 150’s. Long time ago.

Back