Under Pulpit Mounted Spot Light

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megmac

Reaction score
Hi, I've been working on a design for a stainless steel bracket to support a spot light, probably a Golight with remote. Looking for advice on it's environmental practically, function and wiring. Question's would be :

Is this too harsh a location?
Is this too low to waterline to function properly?
For those who have done similar, what was your wiring scheme, where did you run the wires?

Thanks

Attachments

• Iso_pulpit.JPG
    Iso_pulpit.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 285
I like this setup from Bryan2530

It is tucked in under the pulpit and wiring goes into rub rail thru insert into anchor locker then to dash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
497ce1918dc2106dfbf4747c6488026d.jpg

f24e82e3c554a637bfa8ed18be35ac07.jpg
fe10024a76ed4d62bf5fc1f374925c07.jpg

I added a 20” light bar under the pulpit. I used the bolts for the bow rail to mount it. I paid $60 on Amazon. I used it last week intermittently and it worked great. I ran the wiring up the side of the pulpit and through foredeck into the anchor locker. I followed the nav lighting wires to the helm. It would have looked better if I stayed under the pulpit until I went up onto the foredeck. It works well, gives zero glare and relative to boat costs was very inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megmac":26dmgadc said:
Hi, I've been working on a design for a stainless steel bracket to support a spot light, probably a Golight with remote. Looking for advice on it's environmental practically, function and wiring. Question's would be :

Is this too harsh a location?
Is this too low to waterline to function properly?
For those who have done similar, what was your wiring scheme, where did you run the wires?

Thanks
Here's how the GoLight is mounted on my 2520 XLD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT6mJa51KEs

Brent & Andy, thanks for your replies. Brent, I was actually looking into one from Black Oak Led https://www.blackoakled.com/collections ... ine-series but it was very expensive. I did purchase a spreader light from Black Oak and the quality is superb but this was more than I can spend. Brent, how far does your light reach? Assuming you need to adjust it on the water to get it right but once it's set your good to go. Andy, nice video, thanks for sharing. You had mentioned your switch at the helm adjusts the light opposite so just wondering if you could simply rotate the switch 180 degrees, this should get everything normal. I like your set up but may not want it in my line of sight. This is why Im considering under the pulpit, out of sight and absolutely no glare. I love designing things so Im going to either go with my design or come up with something else. My biggest concern is running the wire and hooking up

Hi megmac

I don’t have a light under pulpit yet. I have a handheld spot light that i or The Admiral use. The pic was from Bryan 2530 boat. He did a lot of projects and installed it several years ago.

Today, LED market has exploded with lots of choices. Just look at off road trucks or vehicles LED light web sites. More powerful lights, adjustable intensity, colors, remote control, adjustable angle, lots of mounting hardware, hard wiring , solar cells. Look at lights with wide spread light like car lights. It should not take long to dial in the angle or get a remote controlled adjustable mount . It all depends on the budget but under pulpit location seems the best to me.

I like Black Oak. I was planning to buy a 40 watt single pod flood light from

https://www.blackoakled.com/collections ... light-bars. For 95 bucks and run the wire thru rub rail into anchor rode locker then along the side with windlass wires to a helm switch.

I don’t think I need a high end setup but was planning to call them

megmac":3u5t6dj3 said:
Brent & Andy, thanks for your replies. Brent, I was actually looking into one from Black Oak Led https://www.blackoakled.com/collections ... ine-series but it was very expensive. I did purchase a spreader light from Black Oak and the quality is superb but this was more than I can spend. Brent, how far does your light reach? Assuming you need to adjust it on the water to get it right but once it's set your good to go. Andy, nice video, thanks for sharing. You had mentioned your switch at the helm adjusts the light opposite so just wondering if you could simply rotate the switch 180 degrees, this should get everything normal. I like your set up but may not want it in my line of sight. This is why Im considering under the pulpit, out of sight and absolutely no glare. I love designing things so Im going to either go with my design or come up with something else. My biggest concern is running the wire and hooking up

Hi Megmac, I'm new to posting here; don't know if this will work.... I tried just unscrewing the four screws and turning the GoLight control switch up-side-down. The original installer did not cut out a rectangular hole; instead he drilled three round holes, and the control will not fit the other way/flipped without additional cutting; it's not important enough to me to cut it out; maybe some other time.... I have 40+ other videos posted where this one was. There are many of the videos that show there is little-to-no obstruction of my field of vision with the light mounted there; also, it is high enough where spray and/or green water does not hit the light.... I did not install the light there, but I do like the end result..

Andy":1u6wv4om said:
megmac":1u6wv4om said:

Hi Megmac, I'm new to posting here; don't know if this will work.... I tried just unscrewing the four screws and turning the GoLight control switch up-side-down. The original installer did not cut out a rectangular hole; instead he drilled three round holes, and the control will not fit the other way/flipped without additional cutting; it's not important enough to me to cut it out; maybe some other time.... I have 40+ other videos posted where this one was. There are many of the videos that show there is little-to-no obstruction of my field of vision with the light mounted there; also, it is high enough where spray and/or green water does not hit the light.... I did not install the light there, but I do like the end result..
I meant to add. In the video I am zooming in on the light, and I agree with you that it appears to me obstructing the field of vision; when view normally, without zoom (as viewed normally with my eyes from the helm seat, the is no obstruction... It seems to me that when a light is mounted under the pulpit, that a lot of the light is blocked and/or reflected off the anchor.

9171797a8c0c6e72ee95451e087e0ebe.jpg
958474c8130064f6d789892ab2e4acd5.jpg

My light is a combination flood and spot. These two pictures are short range; but, you can see there is very little, if any, light blocked by the anchor and no glare at all. When on plane the hot spot of the light is about 100yards in front of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy, started thinking about your configuration with the golight. Here is another concept I've designed. I've made the height of the light centered on the rail so there will be even less of a distraction with in-line sight if there is even any now and doesn't need to be mounted upside down. Its forward of rail so there should be absolutely no glare off anchor. I didn't want to drill thru the rail so I've added a few clamps. What do you think?

Attachments

• Iso_rail mount.JPG
    Iso_rail mount.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 174
  • side_rail mount.JPG
    side_rail mount.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 174
Brent, thanks for the update. Yes I did end up finding the right Bilge hatch I believe but from another distributor but appreciate the information. This is the one I found https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/innov ... deck-hatch The cut out dimensions are only a 1/4" difference and this looks like the one I took out. Will see when it arrives. One issue I forsee is getting the back row of screws in, the one's closest to outboard. With the hose coming out of the outboard it's impossible to open the hatch door far enough to put screws in. I didn't want to kink it too much. I might have to wait till spring when the shrink wrap comes off to see if I can move outboard enough to open that door.

Attachments

• bilge hatch cover.JPG
    bilge hatch cover.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 154
Back