Uniden UM525 VHF Radio?????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Fish

Reaction score
Does anyone have real world experience with the Uniden UM525 VHF radio?

UM525BK.jpg

Powerboat Reports (which I tend to take with a grain of salt) gives the radio a "best buy" rating but doesn't bother to comment on durability or ergonomics.

Word on the street is that this is the first product engineered by a group of people that were hired away from Standard Horizon by Uniden to help resurrect Uniden's once stellar reputation.

For about $170.00 it is loaded with features and has a HUGE display.

I've seen it as low as $150 at the Defender sale, coming up next weekend. (you can buy online during their sale too)

It's been on the street a year, so I hope they worked out any bugs. It is loaded with features that are very impressive.

I have a Uniden handheld that has been great, but don't know anyone who has bought that particular model yet.
Competition is good!
Interesting thing is... could they have copied the general design of the Icom 502 any closer and not be sued? :D

Don't take what I say literally as I am conjecturing here. I've read the PowerBoat Reports. I've read writeups on Uniden. I've seen them in stores.

I bought a spare VHS antenna last year and in the store said I might buy a second VHS radio. I was in but one store, a BOAT US one, and when I asked about it the one salesman said avoid them. He said they were being returned for problems on channel 9.

Need to hear from users or ones that tested for longer time. I like PowerBoat tests but not everything can be tested real world.

Dana

Megabyte":ofv5ejpp said:
....Interesting thing is... could they have copied the general design of the Icom 502 any closer and not be sued? :D

I find it more interesting that Icom has released the M504:

M504_pr.jpg

Is the larger screen on the 504 in response to the Uniden model?

I bought the 625 which is the same with a color display mainly because of the cordless mike. Installed it but havnt used it except for testing. the mike works great.Has all the functions of the main radio including loud hailer and foghorn.Ive used it up to 100 yards from the boat and its clear as a bell.

Go Fish":2t8u05s5 said:
I find it more interesting that Icom has released the M504:
Is the larger screen on the 504 in response to the Uniden model?

Probably...
And I see that as a good thing! :)

Back