Unwrap time

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
Supposed to be warmer weather this weekend. I will be going down and taking off the shrinkwrap, and starting the commisioning list. I will be cleaning and whistlin' whilst I work......

Spring is almost here!

I too will be taking advantage of the warm weather. My plan is to wax the hull on Sunday. I no longer cover my boat during the winter. I found that the boat actually stays cleaner uncovered.

Brad

Parker":1q3ia7zc said:
I too will be taking advantage of the warm weather. My plan is to wax the hull on Sunday. I no longer cover my boat during the winter. I found that the boat actually stays cleaner uncovered.

Brad

interesting, i was just wondering if the $500.00 to shrink wrap was not needed ?! Whats there to protect ? Fiberglass? everything is in the pilothouse except the raydome.... i think i may not wrap next year.

btw.... just finished a coat of wax, bottom painted & ready to go !!!

maybe you all could come to florida, we never have to wrap them here, only worry is hurricanes.....

delidon":3oxlzn0l said:
we never have to wrap them here, only worry is hurricanes.....

Lets see... Winter lay-ups or dealing with hurricanes... :shock:
I suppose there are differing downsides no matter where you live. :mrgreen:

delidon":1y3yxy27 said:
maybe you all could come to florida, we never have to wrap them here, only worry is hurricanes.....

Or California! All the great weather and no hurricanes. :D I had no idea what "unwrap time" even meant until I read this thread.

Brian

052520":3jet4jbp said:
Parker":3jet4jbp said:

Brad

interesting, i was just wondering if the $500.00 to shrink wrap was not needed ?! Whats there to protect ? Fiberglass? everything is in the pilothouse except the raydome.... i think i may not wrap next year.

btw.... just finished a coat of wax, bottom painted & ready to go !!!

The Parker 2520XL (Colleen Ann) next to mine in my marina spent the winter uncovered, and she looks great, so you may have something there....

Par":kxy7v2ni said:
I had no idea what "unwrap time" even meant until I read this thread.

Hey Brian... Here you go brother! :D

Image-AA4662026D9C11D9.jpg

I used to shrink-wrap mine, but decided since I lay her up in early Jan after my last CBBT trip and break her out again in Mar, it was a waste of money. This year I followed Kevin's approach, built a wooden frame, and tossed a blue tarp over her.

BTW, I unwrapped last weekend, and will splash her tomorrow. I feel a CCNPP "rips" trip coming on. :D :D :D

052520, I don't shrink wrap, I've used a wood frame and the same green tarp for 6 years that cost me about 50 bucks. I wouldn't consider not covering the boat in NE in winter. That huge aft deck in a bad winter is going to fill with snow, turn to ice, clog your scuppers, until you've got 1000lb. block of ice in there. Mines up on jack stands and all that added weight would make me nervous too. Not to mention the water seeping thru inspection plates and the deck being soaked all winter. Thanks, but I'll take the 2hrs in the fall to cover up my investment.

I never covered mine!
I came out of the water early Jan will be back in in a few weeks!
I winterized everything that needed to be done and thats it, just closed the pilot house door.
I emptied out the boat last week and started a good cleaning.
Had the motor running today to burn off the fogging oil and I worked on a bunch of projects today and will finish most of them tomorrow including new plugs and changing all filters and fluids, rewiring a few things,
changing the friging windshield arms that keep the window open :evil:
and then round up a crews who can run a buffer all day and wax the boat!

I splashed today and ran a 30 mi circuit from the mouth of the Potomac to the mouth of the Patuxent and back. Checked out the Solomons Naval Recreation Center entrance and marina. Next time I go through, it will be dark and on the way to the "rips" for some fishies.

After reading your posts about uncovering your boats yesterday, I got the itch to uncover mine too. Came close, but decided to wait 'till next Saturday if we have favorable weather. One of the great things about these boats is it only takes a few days to get them ready for launch. I ended up raking leaves and doing yard work, so when the weather breaks, I'm outta here! :D

Mine's a 93 never been covered. Just the wooden door trim (my least favorite feature) has show wear. Maybe this year I'll varnish it...

Back