Upgrading from Honda 225 to new style fly-by-wire 250

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
Well, we decided to pull the trigger on a re-power. Just dropped the boat off at the shop last night, and the new motor is being hung today. I'm very interested to see how the lower final drive ratio (2:1) and larger prop affects performance (along with the extra 25 ponies). Will post an update when she's back in the water and broken in.

The next project on the list is going to be some sort of "flotation pods" that mount to the bracket to get the scuppers up out of the water while at rest.

FWIW, the new fly-by-wire control is a work of art. Can't wait to see how it feels on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Yea we ship water at rest. Put two guys back there and a cooler and we’re standing in an inch if water all day. It’s annoying.

I have checked the bracket. Nothing in there. But it’s the old style Stainless Marine bracket without much flotation

Quick update on this - we just splashed her last night with the new engine and did the first 2 hours of break-in (idle for 15 minutes, 2,000 to 3,000 rpm for 45 minutes, then an hour of 2,000 to 3,000 RPM). When we were done with that initial break-in we were able to take her up to 4000 and 5000 RPMs. (redline is 6300)

Initial impression: WOW. I am surprised at how much difference the extra 25 horses and a lower final drive ratio makes (2:1). WE went from something that was like driving a 1/2 ton pickup with a non-turbo V6 (good enough but not great) to something that feels "right". The acceleration and hole shot actually feels like a ski boat now by comparison - its amazing.

Its a longer shaft motor that we mounted up higher on an adapter plate, which finally gets the power head up out of the wash when we're not on plane.

I've got some work to do on dialing in the prop and engine height - I think the engine is mounted too low and it could probably benefit from a 4-blade prop now that it has the torque, but I'm going to put some hours on her first.

looks good , I stopped by the slip , sure is shiny and the white cowl makes so much sense over the dark colors. I am jealous of the 2 to 1 final drive, should work really well.

looks good , I stopped by the slip , sure is shiny and the white cowl makes so much sense over the dark colors. I am jealous of the 2 to 1 final drive, should work really well.

That bright white sure makes the Parker look it’s age!

The fly by wire is really nice - so smooth.

Back