Used Edson or new Lewmar wheel?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman1001

Reaction score
Thoughts on wheels? For the same price would you:

1) buy a used Edson w/power knob
2) buy a new lewmar with knob
3) just buy a knob and add to existing Parker wheel

I added a Edson Power Knob to the stock destroyer-style wheel on my 1700. It works great, doesn’t slip, and looks very nice.

I like 13 1/2in wheels with the suicide knob.
Now....there are 2 styles made....one has the knob to the inside of the Rim in the spoke ....and one has the knob in the rim.
I've had both and bought the one to the inside by mistake, as if your shopping.....and don't look closely.

No big deal right? Well it is...It takes a fair amount of more effort to turn the one to the inside of the Rim.

Examples :

https://www.amazon.com/NovelBee-Dia...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
https://www.amazon.com/CREDSTAR-Sta...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Pay VERY close attention to the nut size. You will notice in the 2 above....They have different nut thread sizes. and it's been so long ago when I was doing this that I forget what you need.

Monte, I'll pick Door Number 3!....
I've used Edson knobs on boats since the early 1980's. The old ones look and perform just like a new one. Recently, one of the Edson top-caps fell off the knob on my cockpit control station, and 'ker-pluncked' off the gunnel into the Pamlico Sound. I called Edson to order a new cap. (It was listed on their site for $20.00 + shipping). They sent me one, 'no charge'. Didn't even charge me shipping. They're a great company with great products, and great customer service.

I like 13 1/2in wheels with the suicide knob.
Now....there are 2 styles made....one has the knob to the inside of the Rim in the spoke ....and one has the knob in the rim.
I've had both and bought the one to the inside by mistake, as if your shopping.....and don't look closely.

No big deal right? Well it is...It takes a fair amount of more effort to turn the one to the inside of the Rim.

Examples :

https://www.amazon.com/NovelBee-Dia...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
https://www.amazon.com/CREDSTAR-Sta...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Pay VERY close attention to the nut size. You will notice in the 2 above....They have different nut thread sizes. and it's been so long ago when I was doing this that I forget what you need.
Great points! I’m convincing myself, with the help of my friends on this site that Edson is the only choice. I’ve only used the knobs that were integrated into the wheel rim and agree, that’s the way to go.

While a Edson is nice....I can't justify the cost. On the fold down Crows nest...I took a brand new wheel after 2 outings and put it in the blast cabinet.
Why? The sun flashes your eyes badly. I've seen people wrap them...I've seen them painted Black....To Hot!

Before & After

Attachments

• 100_5747.JPG
    100_5747.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_6503.JPG
    100_6503.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 2
DFF79352-3460-494C-B593-59362A4AAB1C.jpeg
I went with the Lewmar 13.5 wheel with the integrated power knob. Haven’t really tested it out on the water yet but the quality and finish of the wheel is great. Don’t mind the hole in my dash, I’m in the middle of demo right now on another project.

View attachment 35872
I went with the Lewmar 13.5 wheel with the integrated power knob. Haven’t really tested it out on the water yet but the quality and finish of the wheel is great. Don’t mind the hole in my dash, I’m in the middle of demo right now on another project.
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Bought Edson wheel … adding knob this year… good grip and looks great on boat

Attachments

• 654AF5B3-60CC-4F38-8243-797A983AB997.png
    654AF5B3-60CC-4F38-8243-797A983AB997.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 3
I had an Edson power knob on the destroyer wheel. Worked great and super high quality. I just switched to a 13.5" Gemlux with a knob and waiting to give it a try in a couple of weeks. Gemlux is great stuff and reasonably priced compared to Edson. That said Edson is still the best IMO.PXL_20230318_163118518.jpg

A new Lewmar wheel with a knob can be a good option if you prefer to have the peace of mind that comes with purchasing new equipment. However, it may be more expensive than a used Edson wheel.

I had an Edson power knob on the destroyer wheel. Worked great and super high quality. I just switched to a 13.5" Gemlux with a knob and waiting to give it a try in a couple of weeks. Gemlux is great stuff and reasonably priced compared to Edson. That said Edson is still the best IMO.View attachment 36015
Looking at getting same wheel . How do you like it? Power knob spin nice ?

Back