Volvo Penta I/O Steering Actuator Rebuild

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
My steering actuator is leaking and I've sourced a nice used unit with low hours. I'd like to order the rebuild kit and install the new o-rings before I install it. I've seen a few videos online and read a few articles and I don't see the need for any special tools. I called a hydraulic shop in Ventura to see if they could assist and they said they could not because special tools are needed.For those that have rebuilt one, were any special tools needed? The pictures show the actuator and the attached Seastar hydraulic cylinder. Ill also be rebuilding the Seastar unit but that seems pretty straight forward.
These reason for getting the used part was to avoid the downtime with pulling this part, sending it off, and having a week or more of downtime. New part was about $900. Rebuild service about $475. Used unit with less than 100 hours $200.

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Opted to not rebuild it and just purchased a rebuilt unit for $800. I still need to rebuild the Seastar hydraulic unit.

The volvo penta i/o rebuild is not offered by volvo...but aftermarket or left over parts can be had online. Usually easier just to but the new actuator.

As far as sea star, thats a simple and quick rebuild. I believe its 70 ish per side with end caps but haven't checked for a while.

Back