Water in my tank!?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quimbys

Reaction score
8E9393C6-F845-4EB4-BB48-99C16498BB3A.jpeg

I need some advice.
There is no fuel in my bilge, but upon having issues with my engine not running well and having multiple fuel pumps die on me, I decided to check the condition of my fuel by emptying the contents of my fuel/water separator filter into a water bottle (see picture above). The fuel is less than 6 months old. The boat is used frequently.
The boat is a Parker 2320 Extended Cabin (1994)
Inboard engine- 2016 Marine Power 5.7 EFI
7DDCDBCA-9E95-4638-AA81-2DAFF8956304.jpeg
B8EA87D0-93B7-4B93-A15B-24A77E2E4977.jpeg

There are no signs of the tank ever being replaced (ie. fiberglass repairs in the deck)
I replaced both pie plates in my deck with new ones about 1 year ago.
I also emptied the gas tank and made sure it was spotless 6 months ago. 502F132F-622B-4CE3-A3F1-8922A36BA843.jpeg

Clearly I’m getting water in my gas tank, and who knows what else into my tank, but how?
It has a Perko vent on the Starboard side and I always make sure it’s closed, unless I’m filling it with gas.

I need some intermediate steps to try before cutting the floor out and replacing the gas tank (again, there is no fuel, and no fuel odors anywhere in my boat).

Thanks in advance for any advice and expertise you can provide.

View attachment 35107

I need some advice.
There is no fuel in my bilge, but upon having issues with my engine not running well and having multiple fuel pumps die on me, I decided to check the condition of my fuel by emptying the contents of my fuel/water separator filter into a water bottle (see picture above). The fuel is less than 6 months old. The boat is used frequently.
The boat is a Parker 2320 Extended Cabin (1994)
Inboard engine- 2016 Marine Power 5.7 EFI
View attachment 35109
View attachment 35110

There are no signs of the tank ever being replaced (ie. fiberglass repairs in the deck)
I replaced both pie plates in my deck with new ones about 1 year ago.
I also emptied the gas tank and made sure it was spotless 6 months ago. View attachment 35108

Clearly I’m getting water in my gas tank, and who knows what else into my tank, but how?
It has a Perko vent on the Starboard side and I always make sure it’s closed, unless I’m filling it with gas.

I need some intermediate steps to try before cutting the floor out and replacing the gas tank (again, there is no fuel, and no fuel odors anywhere in my boat).

Thanks in advance for any advice and expertise you can provide.
Nice looking Parker! .... How old is that fuel filter? I have never seen a fuel filter with rust and corrosion like the one in your photo. When I change the filters, I too dump the filter into a clear jar. It's a good practice. Do you always get your fuel from the same source? (Could this just be from a bad batch of fuel?)

Nice looking Parker! .... How old is that fuel filter? I have never seen a fuel filter with rust and corrosion like the one in your photo. When I change the filters, I too dump the filter into a clear jar. It's a good practice. Do you always get your fuel from the same source? (Could this just be from a bad batch of fuel?)
Thank YOU!!!
I don’t think the fuel source is at fault.
The 100 gallons of fuel has been exchanged a few times over the last 6 months due to running the boat, and from reliable sources, so it’s fresh.

My hypothesis is that somehow I’m getting dirty bilge water intrusion somehow, but no fuel leakage & no fumes has me puzzled.

Thank YOU!!!
I don’t think the fuel source is at fault.
The 100 gallons of fuel has been exchanged a few times over the last 6 months due to running the boat, and from reliable sources, so it’s fresh.

My hypothesis is that somehow I’m getting dirty bilge water intrusion somehow, but no fuel leakage & no fumes has me puzzled.
Are you changing/replacing the fuel filter regularly? How many run-hours are on the filter in the photo? If that filter is as old as it looks, that might be the only issue.

Are you changing/replacing the fuel filter regularly? How many run-hours are on the filter in the photo? If that filter is as old as it looks, that might be the only issue.
Filter is less than 30 hours old.

Filter is less than 30 hours old.
Here's just some thoughts then.... It's obvious by the pictures you posted, and what you're saying, that you maintain the boat in great condition.....
There are a lot of posts here on CP about fuel tank replacements. I can't remember any, that didn't start with having visual fuel leaks and/or strong gas odors/smells. You mentioned you had no fuel leak or smell.
Your boat is a 1994, and you think it's the original tank because of no signs of. A lot of 1990's era boats have needed tank replacements, but there are still a lot that have not ...
How long have you owned it? Look at the tank ID label/capacity plate for the manufactures date of the tank.... Just because it appears there has been no 'surgery' on your deck does not mean there has not been one. There are many tank/deck replacements by CP folks who do miraculous jobs; often better than the original.
You replace your fuel filter regularly; have your other fuel filters been rusted and corroded like this one in your picture..... I have a 3-4 of my old filters; you cannot tell that they are not brand new ones.... (except for the Magic Marker writing in the outside; date, engine hours).

Here's just some thoughts then.... It's obvious by the pictures you posted, and what you're saying, that you maintain the boat in great condition.....
There are a lot of posts here on CP about fuel tank replacements. I can't remember any, that didn't start with having visual fuel leaks and/or strong gas odors/smells. You mentioned you had no fuel leak or smell.
Your boat is a 1994, and you think it's the original tank because of no signs of. A lot of 1990's era boats have needed tank replacements, but there are still a lot that have not ...
How long have you owned it? Look at the tank ID label/capacity plate for the manufactures date of the tank.... Just because it appears there has been no 'surgery' on your deck does not mean there has not been one. There are many tank/deck replacements by CP folks who do miraculous jobs; often better than the original.
You replace your fuel filter regularly; have your other fuel filters been rusted and corroded like this one in your picture..... I have a 3-4 of my old filters; you cannot tell that they are not brand new ones.... (except for the Magic Marker writing in the outside; date, engine hours).
Just pulled the sending unit and here’s what the 50 gallons looks like. You can see a little white stuff on the bottom- it’s not too bad. Tank is stamped 1994.

Attachments

• 8190DE96-8CA8-422A-9A30-029333A2063B.jpeg
    8190DE96-8CA8-422A-9A30-029333A2063B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Just pulled the sending unit and here’s what the 50 gallons looks like. You can see a little white stuff on the bottom- it’s not too bad. Tank is stamped 1994.
That proves it's the original 1994 tank. (I was hoping it was a newer tank, and had been replaced somewhere along the line; that would mostly negate the thought/need of another tank replacement; I've not heard of any Parker replacing a tank more than once). I'm at a loss, but, I'll bet the CP guru's will be offering their expertise and will find a solution; they always do! With no fuel smell, nor leak still makes me think the tank is ok. I'm still wondering why the fuel filter is corroded, and that the rubber gasket is torn. I use Yamaha filter; I've not used the Sierra's; maybe the corrosion in those are normal?.... The torn gasket must have happened when you removed it, otherwise it surely would have leaked fuel. I can see how your filter is installed by the engine, so water is not resting on the metal. I'm sure you wipe a little oil on the gasket when you install them... By the way, I owned a 22' with a Mercury 470 I/O for 5 years (1978-1983).... Is that the original engine in your Parker? It looks like a new engine!

Last edited:
If you don’t smell fuel it’s a good sign but if you think it’s bilge water in the tank then a fuel tank pressure test is a low effort way to either put your mind at ease about the tank or identify a problem. I think 3 psi is max pressure to go to- you don’t want to stress the tank, you’re just checking if it leaks down or not over a period of time.

One other easier thing is to double check if your fuel tank vent on the hull is set up to avoid taking on water where the hose runs higher than the vent so only air moves through it and nothing liquid. Then last thing is maybe see if you think your gas cap o ring is sealing well- if you’ve been out enough to go through multiple 100 gallon tanks of fuel then it seems crazy but might be possible enough spray has either gotten in that gas cap or the hull vent.

Lots of good ideas.

Water can get in the fuel from vent hose, bad O ring on fuel,fill cap, from the pump and fuel sender bad gasket and leaking deck hatches. You could have tank cleaned and pumped then start with clean tank and new fuel,.add A Racor 2 microns fuel and water fuel filter or add two inline snd drain off and inspect often.

Any chance someone added water to fuel,tank instead,of fresh water tank if have one? Or a POS is vandalizing your boat?

Or foam around tank built in coffin box and foam is saturated, rotting the tank?

There is a drain from front to back? Is it clear?

If you don’t smell fuel it’s a good sign but if you think it’s bilge water in the tank then a fuel tank pressure test is a low effort way to either put your mind at ease about the tank or identify a problem. I think 3 psi is max pressure to go to- you don’t want to stress the tank, you’re just checking if it leaks down or not over a period of time.

One other easier thing is to double check if your fuel tank vent on the hull is set up to avoid taking on water where the hose runs higher than the vent so only air moves through it and nothing liquid. Then last thing is maybe see if you think your gas cap o ring is sealing well- if you’ve been out enough to go through multiple 100 gallon tanks of fuel then it seems crazy but might be possible enough spray has either gotten in that gas cap or the hull vent.
I will definitely investigate these sources, but I’m feeling quite certain Ethanol is to blame and I need to start using a stabilizer!

Yes, I live in the Southern California beach area and the fuel has some Ethanol
You guys in Southern California just think you have humidity. In Florida it's for real.
Get away from the ethanol fuel. It's more expensive at the pump but cheaper in the long term.
Clean out the tank. Use non-ethanol fuel. Add the Racor filter. Probably never have another issue with fuel.
If the tank and hoses are not ruined. Ethanol eats everything. Here is a small engine carb that ethanol gas was used.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You guys in Southern California just think you have humidity. In Florida it's for real.
Get away from the ethanol fuel. It's more expensive at the pump but cheaper in the long term.
Clean out the tank. Use non-ethanol fuel. Add the Racor filter. Probably never have another issue with fuel.
If the tank and hoses are not ruined. Ethanol eats everything. Here is a small engine carb that ethanol gas was used.

Great idea if non-ethanol fuel is available in your area. Most areas do not have it available such as NJ....

I’m not even slightly convinced that what’s going on in your tank is even remotely related to ethanol issues. You’ve got a leaking sending unit gasket combined with leaky deck inspection ports or an issue with the fuel vent or an issue with a fill or vent hose or a hole in the tank or you’ve gotten a bad fill somewhere that contained water but trying to blame that issue on ethanol is just going to stall your progress in getting to the bottom of where that water is coming from…..

Latest posts

Back