What size screen

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrox117

Reaction score
I will be upgrading GPS / Fish Finder in my 1801 and wondering what is the largest size screen other owners have been able to install.
Thanks

Not sure of it will help; but, the 1042XSV button or the 1242XSV PLUS touchscreen was the largest offered on my 2520 XLD

Depends on what your setup looks like.

Are you flush mounting it? If so, your size options are going to be pretty straightforward; measure the area you have available on your dash and choose an appropriately sized unit. Most manufacturer's online sites have a "specifications" tab where they will show you the installation dimensions of the unit. Be sure to look on the inside of the console to make sure there's nothing mounted on the inside that will interfere with your installation or need to be moved.

Are you bracket mounting it on top of the dash? If so, the world is your oyster. You can go as large as you want, as long as there are no other interferences to get in your way like compasses, other electronics, etc. I have a Simrad GO 9 XSE on top of mine, which replaced the compass (removed by previous owner). It's adequate, but I wouldn't go any smaller. A 12" screen would work nicely up there.

A few pictures of your setup and what you're trying to do would help us, help you.Dash Screen.jpg

I will be mounting like yours but I do have a compass about where your GPS is mounted. Thanks for the info.

I currently have an 8" screen on my 1801. Will be installing a Lowrance HDS Live 12" Monday. I looked at the dimensions. The 12" will fit nicely, the 16" would overwhelm the console. Will have pictures next week.

I will be mounting like yours but I do have a compass about where your GPS is mounted. Thanks for the info.
Honestly (and the mariner in me is killing me when I say this) on a boat this size, I'd ditch the compass. How often do you plan to operate out of sight of land or landmarks? If it makes you feel better, get a handheld compass and stick it in your emergency box in case everything truly goes down. But a larger MFD screen is going to be of more use to you as a navigational aid than a compass.

I currently have an 8" screen on my 1801. Will be installing a Lowrance HDS Live 12" Monday. I looked at the dimensions. The 12" will fit nicely, the 16" would overwhelm the console. Will have pictures next week.
Thanks

Honestly (and the mariner in me is killing me when I say this) on a boat this size, I'd ditch the compass. How often do you plan to operate out of sight of land or landmarks? If it makes you feel better, get a handheld compass and stick it in your emergency box in case everything truly goes down. But a larger MFD screen is going to be of more use to you as a navigational aid than a compass.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on that issue...as a near shore angler, i feel the risk of not having a dash mounted compass is minimal. Would rather have the space.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on that issue...as a near shore angler, i feel the risk of not having a dash mounted compass is minimal. Would rather have the space.
Thanks for sharing that, given some thought I agree with your response.

ttrox,
Did you buy a new unit yet? I bought a Garmin UHD94sv over the winter that will get installed this spring on my 1800. For me, its the right viewing size at a good price point. I rarely stray from behind the console and my eyesights still pretty good so 9" will be plenty. For comparison...I've been using a handheld Garmin 78sc with a 2.6" screen for navigating for the past 8 years so 9" to me may as well be a movie theatre screen!

That is the same unit I am looking at right now. Thanks for your input.

I ha v a 942xs and was disappointed it doesn't include side view. I see the new 943xv does, and in UHD. I'm thinking about getting one for the cabin and putting the old one in bulkhead steering station. 98% of my boating will be in less than 50' of water, but I want to know if the sonar frequency can be set lower if I get out in deeper water. That would be with the 943xv and the g54? transducer.

I do believe multiple frequencies are available for the 943xsv...Garmin states:
-ClearVü/SideVü (260/455/800/1000/1200 kHz)-
Not sure if any of those are low enough for you.

Back