What style of anchor do you run?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshkaj1991

Reaction score
Hey All,

What style of anchor do you all run? I am going to be installing a bow roller (no pulpit) and samson post behind the roller but am curious what kind of anchor do you guys find works best on your Parkers. Mine will be on a 2320 and will be anchoring in sand, mud, and rocky bottoms. Here in SoCal the current isn't much of an issue. I am thinking of going with a 22lb bruce/claw or a similar weight plow-type anchor (similar to Rocna but those are a bit pricey).

My 2320 came with a 14 pound Lewmar Delta plow and 15 feet of chain. The anchor you choose may be different depending on if you are storing it on the bow or in the anchor locker.

I will be storing the anchor on the bow roller so either a plow of claw type should be okay. My only concern with a plow style is that I will be using it in rocky areas quite often but also some mud/sand (which is where a plow type is superior). I was thinking a 16lb anchor with 30' of 3/8" chain should be sufficient for me.

Do you guys use the delta plow in rocky bottoms? If so, how do they hold?

I appreciate the input

On my 2320 I've been running with a 22lb Lewmar claw and 50' of 1/4" chain. I wanted to add weight forward anyway, but have also found this setup to be pretty reliable for anchoring around the Channel Islands. No windlass, so I get minor grumbling from the deckhands that have to pull. But not my problem. Lol.

I would also be inclined to use an anchor ball. Way easier to pull, plus it helps rinse everything of mud. You will also need a lock to firmly secure it while underway, and rig to the bottom of your anchor so it will trip and be retrievable if it gets caught in the rocks.

A generic plough ancor came with my 2120 SC, and I had a very hard time getting it to set in sand. I just purchased a 17 lb m2 mantis. Most of my anchoring is in sand. I'm in the cape cod area. Has anyone had any luck with the M2 mantis anchors? I think I went a little larger than needed but there were a few close calls when my hook pulled near a rocky beach.

I use a Rocna in the Salish Sea.
It has a problem if there is thick kelp on the bottom but otherwise in mud and sand it's a dream. I keep it on an E-Z Anchor Puller spool and it is a match made in heaven.
I initially balked at the price but, compared to just about every other boating expense -- say, monthly slip fees -- it's a drop in the bucket.

18 lb "Sea Claw"w/25' of chain, lewmar 1000, on a 2320. Hook up within casting distances of rock piles and lighthouses in Delaware Bay. 3 or 4 knot current behind us on a gravel bottom w/ no problems.
Sea Claw, Englewood Fl. is a great anchor

Back