What's the best way to make my new 2320 Parker w/F300... slower?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much $$$$ ?
It's a lot more than I paid last time I was shopping for a SS 4blade propeller, lol.
I'll let Ken do the talking, the supply appears extremely limiting and there maybe some production issues on top of it. Mine was in the 7-8 hundred range IIRC, but it was ordered months ago.

Finally got to swap the prop and test it today, the new PowerTech OFS4.

OEM - SWS2
1630189498524.png
1630189646307.png

Swapped with this:
1630184526793.png
1630184674225.png

The conditions were perfect... for the purpose of this test!

4-5ft chop with 6s period. Ouch.

1630184280874.png

It was really crappy, I could barely hold the phone to take pics.
Normally, I wouldn't go out in these conditions but it was the exactly right sea state for testing my working assumptions for the new prop.
1630184411133.png

RESULTS:
The long and short, the OFS4 exceeded all expectations.
As stated at the beginning of this thread, I was hoping to accomplish better ride in rough conditions, in this regard this prop exceed expectations, and there appear to be additional benefits.

PROS:
Most important: the boat can stay on plane and plow through some big stuff at 15-20mph at ~3,500 RPM, no tabs
The hole shot is quicker
Midrange torque is improved and the boat seems more agile
The motor seems more quiet at mid/high RPM (that was a complete surprise to me)
The WOT ~45mph, max trim w/o cavitation ~6,000 RPM (it was 50mph, ~5,800 with OEM)

CONS (sort of)
There is a touch of vibration/chatter while idling in gear at 500-600 RPM, goes away around 800 RPM
WOT speed 4-5mph lower in flat water (that was expected, it went from 50mph with SWS2 to ~45mph with OFS4)

Up or down the channel:
1630193066737.png
1630193245861.png

FUEL BURN
TBD.
Based on today's results, there is no question this prop will give better fuel economy in rough conditions.
For example, with conditions like today and needing to slow down to <20mph - the factory SWS2 couldn't keep the boat on plane while the OFS4 allows the boat to stay on plane and just plows through 4fters.
In head sea I was doing close to 20mph, and around 30-35mph in following where these boats seem to excel.

The SWS2 (OEM) is fantastic in flat water, top speed ~50mph, and probably better fuel economy. I will miss that on the last few miles each trip coming back to the marina in the channel, it is usually pretty flat and I go WOT.

BUT - for going offshore around here - the OFS4 rocks.

Many thanks to Ken at Prop Gods, his recommendations with this prop were spot on, the prop does exactly what I was hoping it would.

--

Last edited:
Finally got to swap the prop and test it today, the new PowerTech OFS4.

OEM - SWS2
View attachment 30458
View attachment 30459

Swapped with this:
View attachment 30456
View attachment 30457

The conditions were perfect... for the purpose of this test!

4-5ft chop with 6s period. Ouch.

View attachment 30454

It was really crappy, I could barely hold the phone to take pics.
Normally, I wouldn't go out in these conditions but it was the exactly right sea state for testing my working assumptions for the new prop.
View attachment 30455

RESULTS:
The long and short, the OFS4 exceeded all expectations.
As stated at the beginning of this thread, I was hoping to accomplish better ride in rough conditions, in this regard this prop exceed expectations, and there appear to be additional benefits.

PROS:
Most important: the boat can stay on plane and plow through some big stuff at 15-20mph at ~3,500 RPM, no tabs
The hole shot is quicker
Midrange torque is improved and the boat seems more agile
The motor seems more quiet at mid/high RPM (that was a complete surprise to me)
The WOT ~45mph, max trim w/o cavitation ~6,000 RPM (it was 50mph, ~5,800 with OEM)

CONS (sort of)
There is a touch of vibration/chatter while idling in gear at 500-600 RPM, goes away around 800 RPM
WOT speed 4-5mph lower in flat water (that was expected, it went from 50mph with SWS2 to ~45mph with OFS4)

Up or down the channel:
View attachment 30461
View attachment 30462

FUEL BURN
TBD.
Based on today's results, there is no question this prop will give better fuel economy in rough conditions.
For example, with conditions like today and needing to slow down to <20mph - the factory SWS2 couldn't keep the boat on plane while the OFS4 allows the boat to stay on plane and just plows through 4fters.
In head sea I was doing close to 20mph, and around 30-35mph in following where these boats seem to excel.

The SWS2 (OEM) is fantastic in flat water, top speed ~50mph, and probably better fuel economy. I will miss that on the last few miles each trip coming back to the marina in the channel, it is usually pretty flat and I go WOT.

BUT - for going offshore around here - the OFS4 rocks.

Many thanks to Ken at Prop Gods, his recommendations with this prop were spot on, the prop does exactly what I was hoping it would.

--
Hi Swatski. nice in-depth evaluation!

I forgot to add Ken's contact info, I was very impressed with his service and communication.

Ken Reeves
[email protected]
941 735 5808

--

A quick update - love this new prop, it's great for plowing through some rougher stuff at low speed, the boat can stay on plane at 3,400-3,600 RPM and barely 20mph, which is much more comfortable as I would have to go quite a bit faster to stay on plane with the OEM prop.
The OFS4 is definitely a keeper.

Going to echo 4 blade and permatrim. First run today with permatrim and it's like a different boat.

I also have a 4 blade prop.

Going to echo 4 blade and permatrim. First run today with permatrim and it's like a different boat.

I also have a 4 blade prop.
do tell, how different is the ride? I bought my boat with permatrim already installed, and I am curious to know what the difference is... I may be repowering soon and need to decide whether to keep the permatrim.... Thanks. I have yammie 250 now with 4 blade prop with permatrim and wide trim tabs and can plane as slow as 12mph getting 1.7mpg

I have a 2120 with a 200hp 4 stroke so keep that in mine.

Also note that as part of the permatrip, I had a Windlass and radar install, all of which are under 25lbs added towards the mid and foward section of the boat so you can have an idea.

In it's stock form with a 3 blade 15x19 prop, I get great top speed (45mph) but very laggy hole shot.

replaced with a 4 blade 14.5x17, I losted about 9 hours on the top end but got good hole shot. However, keeping the bow down ALWAYS required me to play with the trim tabs. In rough seas this is not ideal. I'm about to put on a 10hp Yamaha kicker in the back and knew that if I don't get the bow lift issues reduced, I'm going to have an issue.

Yesterday we went fishing for the first time with a permatrim (undermount), the water was calmer yesterday than our normal outing, 3-4ft swells @13 seconds.

I noticed that I don't really have to rubber neck over the bow. Even my passengers noticed the difference. The ride is much more comfortable than before.

I meant to post the following in this thread a while back but got distracted.
Parker Pilothouse Boats are extremely sensitive to weight aft while underway. The big cockpits are inviting on a nice day and passengers always want to sit aft. That’s fine when the boat is stopped and has less impact on very calm days but when it’s even a little rough, that aft weight will make the boat perform a lot worse then it needs to and will make staying “on plane” exponentially more difficult then if you shift that passenger weight forward.

A hundred pounds in the stern has more impact on the ride, fuel economy and performance then 500 pounds does up front........

Quick update - still LOVE the powertech 4-blade. Love it.
No permatrim, with the trim tabs down I can plow through 3-4 footers on plane at 15-20mph.

I also frequently run with passengers sitting in the back, it amazes me how comfortable and dry the ride is back there!
This is a pic shot running up the Hudson river at about 40mph, note the walls of water on the sides and dry passengers in the back.

1635908821566.png
1635909123632.png

Last edited:
20mph in 3-4ft seas is very impressive
Please note, those speeds hover around 15-20 mph range, basically just allowing me to hold the boat on plane while plowing through; I would not describe it as comfortable, lol.

Please note, those speeds hover around 15-20 mph range, basically just allowing me to hold the boat on plane while plowing through; I would not describe it as comfortable, lol.
Gotcha, with permatrim you will be able to plane even slower...

This is a bit off topic, but...
We have new boat coming in late March. Sadly, will be selling the Parker.
it's a fantastic little boat, short on creature comforts... four ladies in my family and that porta-potty under the cabin cushion never got used, yet, lol.
We own it, in northern NJ, will post in classifieds as soon as the weather warms up - here is my current situation:
1643483090435.jpeg

--

it's a fantastic little boat, short on creature comforts... four ladies in my family and that porta-potty under the cabin cushion never got used, yet, lol.
We own it, in northern NJ, will post in classifieds as soon as the weather warms up - here is my current situation:
View attachment 32067

--

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re moving up. Looked like you had a good time with your Parker but as a family cruiser the Parker’s are somewhat austere boats.

I will miss reading your posts, you livened this board up a lot and someone is gonna get a really nice 2320.

So whats next??

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re moving up. Looked like you had a good time with your Parker but as a family cruiser the Parker’s are somewhat austere boats.

I will miss reading your posts, you livened this board up a lot and someone is gonna get a really nice 2320.

So whats next??
You are too kind. I do plan to stick around though, this is a great crowd and I really love the Parker.
Never had a boat with a fully enclosed cabin and it is the cat's meow!
I'll miss the "battle tank", a perfect descriptor for how I feel riding this boat. If it was just me, it's a keeper.
But... we have four kids and three of them are teenage ladies (with a lot of friends...), lol.

I was not really planning on moving on, but something came up on the used market - a bit of a unicorn - a 2019 edgewater 280cx, and I just had to jump on it and pull the trigger. Funny thing, it was a new listing but boat was already sold when I called however their financing fell through (or something) and the dealer called me back few days later... I was too happy! Otherwise, it would have been few more years for us as those EWs are not coming up used often, they only make about 20 a year, and the new ones go for ~350k, pushing 400 with enclosure, trailer, taxes etc. NUTS! I had quotes from the local dealers and met some at the NYC boat show this week, but no one has any 280cx inventory so it'd be a long wait, anyway.

The 280cx is very large (gargantuan) as it has a berth under the floor making it just high and bulky. Here is my wife standing by a 262cx and a 280cx for size. The head in 280 is about the same size as in a 747, lol, so the ladies will be fine.
1643493625207.jpeg
1643493645441.jpeg

Good news is, I'll still have the Parker for a while and plan to start early this year in March or so, weather permitting. We slip in Carteret on the Kill channel, so it is fairly protected. THere will be more pictures coming of my Parker riding the NY Bay. Love it!

--

You are too kind. I do plan to stick around though, this is a great crowd and I really love the Parker.
Never had a boat with a fully enclosed cabin and it is the cat's meow!
I'll miss the "battle tank", a perfect descriptor for how I feel riding this boat. If it was just me, it's a keeper.
But... we have four kids and three of them are teenage ladies (with a lot of friends...), lol.

I was not really planning on moving on, but something came up on the used market - a bit of a unicorn - a 2019 edgewater 280cx, and I just had to jump on it and pull the trigger. Funny thing, it was a new listing but boat was already sold when I called however their financing fell through (or something) and the dealer called me back few days later... I was too happy! Otherwise, it would have been few more years for us as those EWs are not coming up used often, they only make about 20 a year, and the new ones go for ~350k, pushing 400 with enclosure, trailer, taxes etc. NUTS! I had quotes from the local dealers and met some at the NYC boat show this week, but no one has any 280cx inventory so it'd be a long wait, anyway.

The 280cx is very large (gargantuan) as it has a berth under the floor making it just high and bulky. Here is my wife standing by a 262cx and a 280cx for size. The head in 280 is about the same size as in a 747, lol, so the ladies will be fine.
View attachment 32070
View attachment 32071

Good news is, I'll still have the Parker for a while and plan to start early this year in March or so, weather permitting. We slip in Carteret on the Kill channel, so it is fairly protected. THere will be more pictures coming of my Parker riding the NY Bay. Love it!

--

Congrats on the new boat! I can’t say I’m surprised. Parker’s are more hard core fishing boats. All your posts were family joy rides.

The good news is it’s a great time to sell your parker. I’m sure you’ll fetch top dollar for it.

View attachment 32067

--
I wish you well with the new boat, and with the sale of your Parker..... I was happy to hear you'd be sticking around CP, and hope to see more of the fantastic photos you post....

nothing fancy. The new pedestal is a seapension. The yeti behind it now has a nice thick cushion to keep your butt happy. Way better then the bench seat.

removal was 6 screws on my 2016.
Do you think you could get another seapension seat behind the forward seat???

Back