Windlass problems!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarino

Reaction score
Looking to troubleshoot… we were out a few nights ago Striper Fishing and my friend tried to use his Windlass and it seemed to move a little but then it stop and it would trip the breaker or fuse (not sure). Clicked that little arm where the red button is at the helm and again the windlass moved slightly and tripped again. This happened over and over then we just manually deployed the anchor. Any ideas where to look or check or why it is jamming . It’s not my boat but I remember on one of my boats if you pulled the anchor up too much ,it jammed it and would trip a fuse and my reset was near one of my batteries. I couldn’t find it on his due to nighttime. We haven’t gone back to the boat to look at it. He bought his Parker 2520 a few months back so he is in the Honeymoon period and doesn’t completely know the boat I would imagine. The windlass has worked since he bought it.

Thank you

Last edited:
Clicked that little arm where the red button is at the helm and again the windlass moved slightly and tripped again.

That is a circuit breaker.....It's tripping because of to much amperage being drawn.....Why is that? Needs investigation.....Is it a Power down model or Free Fall?

That is a circuit breaker.....It's tripping because of to much amperage being drawn.....Why is that? Needs investigation.....Is it a Power down model or Free Fall?
Free fall

Start by looking at all the wiring closely.....Look at the windless....Disingauge it and see if it turns freely.

You have bad wiring or component.....A jammed up windless....or a bad windless

Start by looking at all the wiring closely.....Look at the windless....Disingauge it and see if it turns freely.

You have bad wiring or component.....A jammed up windless....or a bad windless

Any idea how to disengage it?

Use the tool that came with it. Push the button on circumferential edge of the capstan in and lock it by releasing the toggle on the vertical face of the capstan. Engage the tool in the capstan and rotate the capstan clock wise as viewed from the port side. This will unscrew the capstan and allow it to deploy the rode.

Agree with above. The”little red arm” is the circuit breaker lever that you are resetting. The circuit breaker is doing its job protecting your circuit from overload. It is tripping because you have a problem- either a mechanical jam or electrical/ wiring issue which you now need to troubleshoot.FB131117-924A-49D0-A0C6-507DCF95C77B.jpeg

Use the tool that came with it. Push the button on circumferential edge of the capstan in and lock it by releasing the toggle on the vertical face of the capstan. Engage the tool in the capstan and rotate the capstan clock wise as viewed from the port side. This will unscrew the capstan and allow it to deploy the rode.

My friend recently purchased the boat and I am betting that the tool did not come with the boat . I don’t even know what the tool looks like. I will do alittle checking on the Internet.
thanks for the info,much appreciated.

Agree with above. The”little red arm” is the circuit breaker lever that you are resetting. The circuit breaker is doing its job protecting your circuit from overload. It is tripping because you have a problem- either a mechanical jam or electrical/ wiring issue which you now need to troubleshoot.View attachment 30743
Thank you

I had a very similar issue with my windless, but luckily for me, it was the rope jamming. Too much rope was bunching up near where the rope comes into the anchor locker. Now, I just make sure that area stays clear.

My friend recently purchased the boat and I am betting that the tool did not come with the boat . I don’t even know what the tool looks like. I will do alittle checking on the Internet.
thanks for the info,much appreciated.
You can insert a standard 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to turn the capstan

Back