Windlass recommendations?!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tito

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m getting tired for pulling the anchor what windlass do you recommend for my 2320 with pulpit? Does chain and rode size matter!’?
my Parker is an older 2000 model. Or if you have a good one to sell I would be interested.
Thx !!

You'll probably get a few different points of view on this- but I have had Lewmar windlasses on most of my boats in my adult life-and have never had an issue. I'm pretty sure my 2320 had the Prof-Fish 1000 model. I had 300 feet of anchor line and 30 feet of chain on that setup that worked well for anchoring in depths up to about 120 feet.

If you want a great windlass contact Good Windlass in Barnegat. Lewmar is ok but is a PITA the way it installed on Parkers. The hause hole is not center of the anchor locker and if you fish in anything over 50' you will have to go down below and sweep back the rode otherwise it will get jammed. I have 2 Parkers over 15 years and both had Lewmar but the Good windlass will blow the away, They will install it properly as well so the rode will go down the center of the anchor locker and there will be no need to constantly sweep the rode back

Lewmar 700 FreeFall..... It takes 1/4in chain and 1/2in Rode.

The Lewmar mentioned above 1000 series takes larger chain.

I run 1/4 chain the length of the boat 23ft boat = 23ft chain......25ft boat = 25ft chain.

I expanded the anchor locker to hold 600ft of Rode. Built a mold and laminated a new piece.

Windless was installed on a block that I built....If I built it again.....It would be built of alum.

The block serves 2 functions....Raised the windless , so the chain does not drag on the Pulpit and creates a deeper drop into the anchor locker.

These Parkers for the most part have a whimpy sized anchor locker. That affects the operation of a windless.

Attachments

• 100_5085.JPG
    100_5085.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_5094.JPG
    100_5094.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_5113.JPG
    100_5113.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_5154.JPG
    100_5154.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_5147.JPG
    100_5147.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5145.JPG
    100_5145.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 55
Hi guys,
I’m getting tired for pulling the anchor what windlass do you recommend for my 2320 with pulpit? Does chain and rode size matter!’?
my Parker is an older 2000 model. Or if you have a good one to sell I would be interested.
Thx !!

I have an older Simpson Lawrence with a gypsy wheel and the capstan drum mounted on my bow. I installed the windlass in 2006. I have 300’ of line and chain and the system functions perfectly. I initially used the windlass a lot for about 4 years and then progressively started using an anchor ball with the anchor, line and chain stored in a tote. When I was setting up my boat, I was 100% convinced that I needed a windlass, seemed almost like an essential piece of kit on a Parker Pilot House.

My opinion after 15 seasons with the same boat is that a windlass on a Parker 2520 is completely unnecessary. I can deploy and retrieve my anchor using an anchor ball retriever faster and more efficiently then I ever could with the windlass.

I know this isn’t exactly what you were asking for but I’d skip the windlass entirely and put the $$ you were gonna spend on the windlass towards a quality autopilot........:ROFLMAO::)

I installed a Lewmar this year. The labor to install it was higher that expected. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with a Lone Star drum windlass.

I replaced my Lewmar fish/pro with a EZ anchor drum and really like the way it works. My son and I installed it ourselves (really I watched and handed him tools). Now my anchor compartment is for storage.

I replaced my Lewmar fish/pro with a EZ anchor drum and really like the way it works. My son and I installed it ourselves (really I watched and handed him tools). Now my anchor compartment is for storage.
Wow, I like this concept so all the rode and chain stay on the drum spool and you no longer need the anchor locker. Is it much easier and straight forward to install?
Thx

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to add....Installing the Remote control, to me is not a Option....It's a nessisity....You can move and control the boat in so many different way's.

We use to anchor up at the Island...Stern to the beach......Big anchor /Windless out in the water....Engine trimmed up......Small anchor on stern clete . Step off of swim platforn into 12in of depth......The windless and remote allowed for easy adjustment to the beach.

Wow, I like this concept so all the rode and chain stay on the drum spool and you no longer need the anchor locker. Is it much easier and straight forward to install?
Thx
It was easy to install, but my son did the work. On our boat, all of the wiring that was in place was the correct wiring for the new drum. The hardest part for him was working in the anchor compartment securing the drum and connecting the wiring. It's a small space to work in.

You may need a Patriot or Rebel E-Z Anchor Puller drum anchor winch. 30 years in the marine industry and no pulling. Our units are hands-free, tangle-free, nothing to jam. Watch our general promo below and call if you're interested!

https://www.ezanchorpuller.com/pages/videos
The line and anchor chain capacity chart for your drums is very east coast oriented. No one on the west coast would run 10' of chain on a 30' boat unless they really didn't know what they were doing. I have a little over 30' of 1/4" chain on my boat, how much 1/2" rope might the EZ 3 or EZ 4 hold with that much chain? Thank you!

The line and anchor chain capacity chart for your drums is very east coast oriented. No one on the west coast would run 10' of chain on a 30' boat unless they really didn't know what they were doing. I have a little over 30' of 1/4" chain on my boat, how much 1/2" rope might the EZ 3 or EZ 4 hold with that much chain? Thank you!
Hey A^4! I totally get where you're coming from on the chart reading- all of our units can hold 10' + of chain, but we tend to use that as a frame of reference. I have a perfect example of a Rebel EZ-4 holding 50' of chain along with 75' of nylon and 500' of 1/4" dyneema on Pacific Bill's Parker Boat below!

Please dont hesistate to DM or call 1.800.800.1640 if you have any more questions or are curious about which winch would be best suited for you!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Hey A^4! I totally get where you're coming from on the chart reading- all of our units can hold 10' + of chain, but we tend to use that as a frame of reference. I have a perfect example of a Rebel EZ-4 holding 50' of chain along with 75' of nylon and 500' of 1/4" dyneema on Pacific Bill's Parker Boat below!

Please dont hesistate to DM or call 1.800.800.1640 if you have any more questions or are curious about which winch would be best suited for you!
Thanks so much. I'll give you a call when I'm ready to get that drum on there!

My Parker 2330 came with an old POS rope only good windlass. Very outdated with a bad motor. I bought a new motor for it, only to realized it didn’t accept chain!!! (Great company/old model). After asking around it became clear the Lonestar drum winches are a local favorite and quite possibly the best money can buy. Look them up. I said screw it and bought a GX2 loaded 330’ of 4mm spectra, 8’ topshot, 30’ 5/16” chain. Proper setup and huuuuuuge difference over a windlass. Installed it myself, super easy.

AFDEBE98-188E-4B42-AB50-70FD278041BD.jpeg

...I said screw it and bought a GX2 loaded 330’ of 4mm spectra, 8’ topshot, 30’ 5/16” chain. Proper setup and huuuuuuge difference over a windlass. Installed it myself, super easy.

Why spectra???
You want the rope component of your rode to have stretch. In other words, get the cheapest nylon you can get.

Why spectra???
You want the rope component of your rode to have stretch. In other words, get the cheapest nylon you can get.
Spectra has a much smaller diameter for the same strength, which is needed to pack enough line on those drum winches which have limited line capacity. Using normal nylon you’d never get a useful amount on the drum.

With 30’ of chain and an 8’ stretch section, the ride should have plenty of shock absorbing capacity.

Back