Winter Storage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tireddiver

Reaction score
It's getting close to winter storage time.
This is my first year with my 2001 2520 DV

I need to supply my own boat stands as a memeber of a club.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on the type I should use?

It seems to me I need two diferrent sizes, two taller for the bow and two shorter for the aft.

I see they offer the type of stands I think I need at West Marine and I figure they probly have some sort of fromular for determining the right size by hull design. But I get a little leary of taking advice from a counter person that looks like the only experience they have with boating is from the bath tub.... :roll:

Anyone with prior experience with setting this up?

Brownell is the standard it seems up here in the NE. They have a good advice and Selection page.

http://www.boatstands.com/index2.htm

West sells the same brand with only the usually 30% markup. I started early and found a set for $80. That is 27" up front and 24" in the rear. I cut 3 6x6X8 PT into 2' sections for my blocks. This gives great access to the bottom.

MarkL":3pdvdhlk said:
That is 27" up front and 24" in the rear. I cut 3 6x6X8 PT into 2' sections for my blocks. This gives great access to the bottom.

Same here Mark.

Today was haul-out day for me :(

Here is my forward blocking pier and stands

pierforward.jpg

and here is the aft blocking pier and stands

pieraft.jpg

a few minutes of pressure washing -BEFORE- the micro-slime growth has a chance to harden up into concrete.. :shock:

haulout2006.jpg

and she'll be a snap to touch up with more ablative next spring. 8)

I love the smell of atomized saltwater slime in the morning....smells like....Old Bait!
haulout20061.jpg

Sad day...hauling out......but hey....It's the first day of 2007 Project Planning !! :lol:

Thanks to All

cbigma
Those Photos were just the ticket...and the height suggestions were what I was looking for..

Wish I had started the process sooner, looks like I'll be paying a lot more than 80 bucks for a set of 4...

porkchunker
I hear ya brother, hate to find my dream boat on her side! :(
The chain suggestion is a mandatory item in the club where I keep the boat.

Again thanks to all
I was all set to get these when I was confused by the various sizes.
As I suspected one or more of you old salty dogs would have the experience & right advice

Porkchunker":19aa2m9c said:
Don't forget to chain those stands together so she won't topple on a cold windy winter day.

Ah, excellent point Porkchunker. They are usually the last part of my cover system to go on.

I've gotta move each stand again to pressure wash the part of the hull -under- the stand pad, and I will probably fuss with the blocks in the cribbing a few times,,, because....well,, just because :lol:

(She spends five months up on those blocks,,, I want her to be comfortable) :roll:

Then, in a couple of weeks, following the obigatory de-rigging, cleaning, OB winterizing, I will rig out the rest of the cover system.

So the whole process could take a month or so...depending upon weekend schedules and the weather....Glad I don't live in Buffalo! They are shoveling 2 feet of snow outta their cockpits! :shock:

cbigma":28z5t5gc said:
...(She spends five months up on those blocks,,, I want her to be comfortable) :roll: ...

Five Months on blocks!!!! Ouch, I don't think I could stand that. As it is now, I winterize from the 1st of Jan until mid March, when we start fishing the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant (CCNCP) hot water outflow (aka "rips."). 2-1/2 months is hard enough on me.

I guess that is why this Montana boy is headed to the Norfolk, VA or Elizabeth City, NC areas for retirement.

Back