Wood vs composite

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkbateman

Reaction score
Do the 2021 Parker 1801 boats have any wood in them , or are they 100 percent composite now ??

Do the 2021 Parker 1801 boats have any wood in them , or are they 100 percent composite now ??
Unless they have recently changed I think all Parkers have wood throughout the boat. I maybe wrong but that was the case just a few years back.

Unless they have recently changed I think all Parkers have wood throughout the boat. I maybe wrong but that was the case just a few years back.
Yes , they used wood stringers “fur” encapsulated in fiberglass and in the floor system. But I thought someone told
Me , they are now all composite

Thankfully, Parker still uses wood stringers, bulkheads, floors and transom. Wood is a stronger, more durable building material than any of the synthetics. And good luck getting a screw to hold in NidaCore or even Coosa.

With wood, you simply need to seal any hole you drill into the material

And there in lies the problem.....Half Ass work and not enough attention to detail by people that work on the boat after the boat has been built.

Thankfully, Parker still uses wood stringers, bulkheads, floors and transom. Wood is a stronger, more durable building material than any of the synthetics. And good luck getting a screw to hold in NidaCore or even Coosa.

Thx. I have no problem with wood in boats at all. I agree , it is a tried and true material for boat building.

The only issue i have ever had with wood is in the manufacture of the hull. The wood used must be perfectly dry before use to insure a strong long lasting structure. I had a bay liner that a wet wooden stringer was sealed into the hull resulting in dry rot.

The only issue i have ever had with wood is in the manufacture of the hull. The wood used must be perfectly dry before use to insure a strong long lasting structure. I had a bay liner that a wet wooden stringer was sealed into the hull resulting in dry rot.
This is a just a clarification; meant in a very positive tone. There is no such occurrence as 'dry-rot'. Wood cannot rot, if it is kept dry. The term 'dry-rot' came about after someone saw wood that had at some time wet-rotted. Then someone or something came along and fixed 'the leak', which eventually dried out the wet-rotted wood. The dried-out, wet-rotted wood became known a 'dry-rot'... (my 'career' was in the building-sciences field, and we regularly dealt with rotted wood in homes, buildings, and... well, boats!)...

Go To Parker web site and watch the build process videos

Wood in stringers and sub frame are encapsulated. Other areas where wood is used are covered with gelcoat and cockpit deck is gelcoat covered wood and bottom of it is sealed. Videos show no wood in hull
There is wood in.pulpitd. decks, gunnels, wheel house, correct me if wrong. On my Parker, I had some problems with doodads installed by former owners and boat yards

Back