Would I need a radar pedestal?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Installing a 3g radar on the top, I see lots of 2120 with same radar with no pedestal, wonder if there'll be any benefits if I added one

theoretically, the higher it is the better it sees.
that being said - how high a pedestal?

pedestal is also to get above t top clutter like outrigger bases etc and make the array level at cruise.

all around light bars that attach to pedestals are great too.

I mounted a Garmin Fantom 24" on my 2520XLD. No pedestal; however, I did use extra nuts and washers on the top side of the mounting studs to achieve a 5 degree tilt. I don't have any interference from any other equipment mounted on my roof. The Fathom is a digital unit which doesn't emit as much radiation as a standard Magnatron unit so that may have some benefit.tempImage0tBv7W.png

I think the 5 degree forward rake and the physical appearance are two reasons to use the pedestal. In my opinion, the radome just looks better on a pedestal.

They "LOOK" a Lot better phisically with the mount.....Battlewagon is the brand you want.

With mine being mounted on the roof I have less to worry about when towing. I still get low tree limbs.

Is there an elegant way to snake the wires on the roof to the helm? The newer models appears to have a hump which makes it possible to snake wires. the 05 only have the conduits at the corners so when I penatrate through the roof, it seems the only way is to clip the wires exposed on the roof and down the pillars.

In theory you’ll see more higher up. The 21 and 23 have step down cabins so I would put a pedestal. I had a local fabricator make mine for 80 bucks. I didn’t want a painted one be because it will just flake and peel in time.

Attachments

• 67954A35-CA0C-4AA0-90DB-18D5EB3F32F4.jpeg
    67954A35-CA0C-4AA0-90DB-18D5EB3F32F4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
In theory you’ll see more higher up. The 21 and 23 have step down cabins so I would put a pedestal. I had a local fabricator make mine for 80 bucks. I didn’t want a painted one be because it will just flake and peel in time.

The 5-8 inches of height most pedestals give is not going to make any difference in how far you can "see" with the radar. Think about VHF antennas. 8 feet makes a difference.

seems like mixed opinion here. It's a small boat and I won't need to detect anything really far, mainly for peace of mind of nearby obstacles. Going to mount it straight to the roof and if it doesn't work out I'll add a pedestal.

The 5-8 inches of height most pedestals give is not going to make any difference in how far you can "see" with the radar. Think about VHF antennas. 8 feet makes a difference.

Well the pilot houses on the smaller boats are sunk down/step down. So I chose to do it that way. When going down hill is a big swell the additional inches could help but I guess for the most part I agree.

It seems to me getting it up in the air a bit would keep the radar from frying your brain if you're standing in the cockpit behind the pilot house.

It seems to me getting it up in the air a bit would keep the radar from frying your brain if you're standing in the cockpit behind the pilot house.

It isn’t really much of an issue with modern radars in the size/power range we’re discussing. Even in the larger commercial open array radars, the tag-out requirements are more to keep my deckhands from getting whacked in the head by the antenna than any radiation concern 😂

Anything less than a naval surface search/fire control radar at short range isn’t much to worry about. But those WILL do fun things to your bridge electronics and lifeboat pyrotechnics within a couple hundred feet of not sectored out correctly 😳

Built my own a few months ago per the recommended down angle from the gallery here

Attachments

• 3A58B0EE-6489-45E9-BB18-A488F44AB507.jpeg
    3A58B0EE-6489-45E9-BB18-A488F44AB507.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 4BE658FE-7C1A-487F-9963-32F2E356D2C8.jpeg
    4BE658FE-7C1A-487F-9963-32F2E356D2C8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: A-K
i think you definitely need to at least be above any “clutter” (antenna mounts, outrigger mounts etc). and it def does look good.

can’t hurt (?). for the (?) $150-$250 why not ?

Attachments

• 86C7AED3-80EB-4AB0-9E10-5373C3A48E0A.jpeg
    86C7AED3-80EB-4AB0-9E10-5373C3A48E0A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
It isn’t really much of an issue with modern radars in the size/power range we’re discussing. Even in the larger commercial open array radars, the tag-out requirements are more to keep my deckhands from getting whacked in the head by the antenna than any radiation concern 😂

Anything less than a naval surface search/fire control radar at short range isn’t much to worry about. But those WILL do fun things to your bridge electronics and lifeboat pyrotechnics within a couple hundred feet of not sectored out correctly 😳
That is good to know. Less worry.

Back