Wrong measurements from parker!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joemo650

Reaction score
Hello all. Have been a member to the forum for a while since I bought my 03 2120 with a new 2019 suzuki DF 200A out here on the west coast about 9 months ago, but have yet to post until now. I've learned a lot about our brand of boat on here, even made the decision to go to a 4 blade prop from the great info I've found here.. Fished this boat hard for those 9 months, trips to the farallons, pulled her up to Fort Bragg for tuna, she handles the rough water outside the golden gate beautifuly. But the fun must come to an end eventually. Being a 03, the time had come to replace the fuel tank. I called around, to get her into a shop and one said they would do the work. So I went and contacted parker to get the dimensions of the original tank, which they were able to send my I'm a rough sketch. Seemed legit. No reason for parker not to be straight forward with things like that considering how critical the measurements are on their boats. Took those measurements from parker and sent them to my tank guy to have it built. Long story short the measurements were incorrect! Top of the tank was exactly the same, 54"x34", but the way the bevels face is bow/stern, instead of port/star the the original. So my questions to the experienced parker owners is this:
1. Has parker given wrong measurements before? Maybe they changed the design of the tank in between 03 and now and they gave me dimensions for the new design?

2. Have any of you gotten the wrong size tank and made it work? Definitely no refunds on custom tanks! Haha

3. Is tje bottom of the coffin in the 2120 structural to the hull? The illshapen tank does fit in the coffin but sticks up 2" above the deck. Should sit about 3" below it. Can you cut the coffin to fit? Or would having the tank modified to fit, adding another bevel to each end be the best option? Again, the measurements were given to me directly to parker, then given directly to the tank builder

Greatful for any input you all might have

Attachments

• 20210523_181327.jpg
    20210523_181327.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210512_145933.jpg
    20210512_145933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I am learning that parker used two different tank manufacturers to build tanks. RDS and Florida Marine Tanks. RDS before 2008 and Florida for after. I to am looking to replace my fuel tank and need to make the right steps in replacing it. I figure I would have the tank pulled then have a tank guy use the old tank for measurements. Im down in Lompoc and we dont have but a couple of tank guys near me. Let me know what you did.

So I went and contacted parker to get the dimensions of the original tank

I just posted this on another thread, for this reason.

Here's My question...... Why do you need the tank dimensions?
You pull the tank....Then send the tank to local builder...They take dimensions right off the old tank. That way it fits and things align right back up. No excuse for not fitting.

If you start making a drawing and YOU screw up a demension.... It's your Baby...and now you have something that is expensive and will not work, or it has to be modified at a greater expense of time and $$$$.

I just posted this on another thread, for this reason.

I can sympathize with the idea of ordering the tank based on what SHOULD be accurate measurements from the manufacturer as opposed to bringing the actual old tank to the fabricator. One, not all of us have the luxury of living near a tank manufacturer; a several hundred mile trip in a truck hauling a tank (which some people don’t have regular access to) is in order for a lot of us which can be shortened to a onetime trip if accurate dimensions can be obtained. Two, with tank lead times stretching into the several month timeframe, ordering the tank prior to commencing rip-out can go a long way towards shortening the downtime for the project. I’ve been toying around with the idea of having one made for my 2530 and storing it until the existing one fails.

That said, I think a far better way to go would be to get the data off the tank nameplate and to contact the tank manufacturer directly, as opposed to relying on the boat builder to have exact dimensions.

Back