Yamaha 225OX66 Saltwater series won't crank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Parker 2510 with a Yamaha 225 OX 66 Outboard in Florida and I only get to use it 2-3 times a year for a week or 2 at a time. Last August i had it out and it was loosing power on the high end. I had replaced all the fuel filters except the VST filter prior to taking it out. I ran out of time, so when I went down at Christmas I just bought a pump from quantum fuel systems and put that on, along with a new VST filter while I was in the inner fuel tank. I started the engine and let it idle for a brief time and it seemed fine. Then I went to tilt the motor and the tilt motor ran down but not up. ( I just replaced this trim motor in August). I found it was the relay so I replaced it. It worked fine both ways. That is when I noticed my steering clicked the one way and did not work. I replace the steering helm behind the dash. All seemed fine. I went to the ramp and started up the engine. It idled fine. I pushed the neutral button in in the throttle handle and revved the engine just to see how it sounded. That is when everything cut out. It will not crank or click and it keeps blowing the glass fuse inline in the engine near the trim/tilt fuses as soon as the ignition is turned on. I have a friend looking at it now as I had to go back to work in Pa. I am ordering the Manual for that engine. Any ideas on tracking this short down would be appreciated, Alan

My experience has been that whatever you did last is suspect. Work your way back to everything you did and see if you misconnected anything or dislodged something.

My experience has been that whatever you did last is suspect. Work your way back to everything you did and see if you misconnected anything or dislodged something.
I did have the horn button off to get to the steering fill. But that works. But I was under the dash so I may have loosened something up. Thanks for your help.

Back