Yamaha exhaust repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.coast

Reaction score
Has anyone had the dry exhaust kit repair done, and did it resolve the corrosion issue. Or should you just avoid an engine with this issue.

Yes. I've repaired 4. Did all 4 myself.

It's an easy job. I can now do a complete engine in about 6 hours.

Did the corrosion return? Nope. The newly designed exhaust is a different metal and different coating than the original. The Yamaha 3.3l F225 is a very reliable engine. I'd have zero concerns buying another (factoring-in the cost to replace the exhaust)

Did the corrosion return? Nope. The newly designed exhaust is a different metal and different coating than the original. The Yamaha 3.3l F225 is a very reliable engine. I'd have zero concerns buying another (factoring-in the cost to replace the exhaust)
Thanks, for the information.

Have all four you've done been the F225? I just bought a 2008 F250. I might do the exhaust this winter.

Yes ..... all 4 were the F225. That said, the process for repairing the dry exhaust would be the exact same for the F250 3.3l.

The exhaust kit (with every single part you'll need to replace) is $800 shipped to your door.

If you want to also replace the oil pump while you have the powerhead removed, it's an extra $300-350

You'll also need to purchase the 2 upper and 2 lower mounting bolts for the swivel bracket (you'll need to cut the old ones out unless you run exclusively in freshwater). These are $20 each.

The exhaust kit (with every single part you'll need to replace) is $800 shipped to your door.

If you want to also replace the oil pump while you have the powerhead removed, it's an extra $300-350

You'll also need to purchase the 2 upper and 2 lower mounting bolts for the swivel bracket (you'll need to cut the old ones out unless you run exclusively in freshwater). These are $20 each.
Thanks

Good Chance, would you do this regardless of signs of corrosion? Where did you get the parts from and how did you learn the process?
I just purchased a 2008 F250 as well for my 23DVCC and it is a nice strong motor but I want to keep it for a while.
Thank you.

I have had five motors done. One 200, two 225s and two 250s. I have my motors scoped when I buy them. If the tech sees corrosion, I have the exhaust replaced. And yes, I include the oil pump. Why not? None of these engines showed signs of corrosion after the upgrade was performed during my ownership. Sim Yamaha has the kits for a good price. I do not do the work myself. You will be taking the power head off the motor.

I have had five motors done. One 200, two 225s and two 250s. I have my motors scoped when I buy them. If the tech sees corrosion, I have the exhaust replaced. And yes, I include the oil pump. Why not? None of these engines showed signs of corrosion after the upgrade was performed during my ownership. Sim Yamaha has the kits for a good price. I do not do the work myself. You will be taking the power head off the motor.
Here in CT Yamaha shops are recommending junking the motors instead of installing the exhaust kit. Basically pricing the work in a way that makes it unreasonable. After hours of watching YouTube on the subject the job seems reasonable.. Do you mind me asking what your shop charged for labor to do the job? I've found a Marina in NYC that will do the job all in for under $2k if you can deliver the motor to them.

Junking a motor versus the exhaust job? That’s not a good shop. Every case is different but most instances these motors can run a very long time after the exhaust kits are installed.

Junking a motor versus the exhaust job? That’s not a good shop. Every case is different but most instances these motors can run a very long time after the exhaust kits are installed.
Agree! Problem is I live in an area where financials are such that people actually prefer and are OK paying for, a new motor vs. a fixed one. So the shops cater to that.

Good Chance, would you do this regardless of signs of corrosion? Where did you get the parts from and how did you learn the process?
I just purchased a 2008 F250 as well for my 23DVCC and it is a nice strong motor but I want to keep it for a while.
Thank you.

Would I replace the exhaust regardless of corrosion? Ans: No. If I had a model year 2000-early 2005 Yamaha F200-250, I would plan on replacing the exhaust regardless of condition unless the exhaust had previously been replaced. I might even lump 2006 motors into this age bracket. But I would not be so knee-jerk to replace the exhaust in a 2007+ unless there were clear signs of a dry exhaust failure (over-heat alarm at idle, large amounts of bubbles from the lower unit at idle .... like you might see with a scuba diver under your boat, or if you see heavy scaling and pitting in the mid-section with the lower unit removed ..... inspect with a flashlight and you eyeballs). Another great test ..... remove the lower unit ..... attach a garden hose to the bronze water intake pipe in the mid section....... turn on the hose .... start the engine. If you see water coming down the dry exhaust section, then you certainly have a problem.

Where did you get the parts: I've gotten the parts from several vendors. Simply shop for the lowest price. All the kits are the same parts direct from Yamaha - Atlanta Georgia.

How did I learn the process: First .... it's not complicated or hard. There are several tutorials posted on www.thehulltruth.com. Read them all. The first time you do it will take 12-14 hours. Just label everything that you remove and put all "like-parts" into the same zip-lock bags. It's just a big puzzle.

Reactions: Efx
Would I replace the exhaust regardless of corrosion? Ans: No. If I had a model year 2000-early 2005 Yamaha F200-250, I would plan on replacing the exhaust regardless of condition unless the exhaust had previously been replaced. I might even lump 2006 motors into this age bracket. But I would not be so knee-jerk to replace the exhaust in a 2007+ unless there were clear signs of a dry exhaust failure (over-heat alarm at idle, large amounts of bubbles from the lower unit at idle .... like you might see with a scuba diver under your boat, or if you see heavy scaling and pitting in the mid-section with the lower unit removed ..... inspect with a flashlight and you eyeballs). Another great test ..... remove the lower unit ..... attach a garden hose to the bronze water intake pipe in the mid section....... turn on the hose .... start the engine. If you see water coming down the dry exhaust section, then you certainly have a problem.

Where did you get the parts: I've gotten the parts from several vendors. Simply shop for the lowest price. All the kits are the same parts direct from Yamaha - Atlanta Georgia.

How did I learn the process: First .... it's not complicated or hard. There are several tutorials posted on www.thehulltruth.com. Read them all. The first time you do it will take 12-14 hours. Just label everything that you remove and put all "like-parts" into the same zip-lock bags. It's just a big puzzle.
I agree on the years. I recall reading somewhere that the design change was implemented on 2006’s.

Here in CT Yamaha shops are recommending junking the motors instead of installing the exhaust kit. Basically pricing the work in a way that makes it unreasonable. After hours of watching YouTube on the subject the job seems reasonable.. Do you mind me asking what your shop charged for labor to do the job? I've found a Marina in NYC that will do the job all in for under $2k if you can deliver the motor to them.

It cost more in the early years. When I first had them done it was about $3200. The last one I did cost $2,000 all in. I brought the boat to the yard. They did the work with the engines on the boat, but there is a bit of deriving that takes place to lift the power head. My engines were all under 500 hours at the time.

Reactions: Efx
Back