AGM to Lithium - 06 F225 BEP Cluster Switch

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in “Electronics” and now moving to projects for help.

I’ve started doing some research on replacing my start and house batteries this spring.
I did the original project and purchased my current set in the spring of 2017. I started getting low voltage shut down on my inverter only after 30/40 minutes at the end of the season. Usually 50% discharge runtime is about 2.5 hrs. I’ve not load tested them yet but based on age, I think it’s just time for new batteries In the spring. I also added a windless last season and I had to combine my batteries one time after running the windless a long time backing in to the beach. Another sign my start has also weakened some.
Current set up:
Optima Blue Top AGM Start
VmaxTank 200Ah AGM House
BEP Cluster battery switch.
ProMariner Pronautic 1220P hardwired charger. It does have a setting for the Lifepro4 Lithium.

I want to drop in a 230AH house and around a 100Ah start that are the newer Lithium LifePro4 type.
Will it work?
Mostly only concerned with the engine charging the Lithium and if I would need to add anything between the engine and the battery’s
Thanks all,
JS

I'd say Yes.. You have a battery problem. As cheap as they are now, owning a Load tester is a Good investment. I suggested this to one of my customers that has ALL kinds of vehicles /equipment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html

Look VERY close at the Lithium batteries requirement for charging.
Lot's of Litiham's are NOT designed to be cranking batteries

T
I'd say Yes.. You have a battery problem. As cheap as they are now, owning a Load tester is a Good investment. I suggested this to one of my customers that has ALL kinds of vehicles /equipment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html

Look VERY close at the Lithium batteries requirement for charging.
Lot's of Litiham's are NOT designed to be cranking batteries
Thanks Wart. I understand on the cranking amps. I think they have that handled now on the latest ones.

Are Yamaha Outboards compatible (charging wise) with Lithiums? The manual for my 2021 F200XB says "no". Wish they were...
I think this is true related to being able to fully charge the lithium. They need about 14.6V. I’ve only run mine on a quick water test and on the charger. So far, no issues. Mine will always be back on shore power and a digital charger to bring the Lithium to a full charge. I’m hoping that negates any other issues. I’m going to connect a Bluetooth smart shunt to the battery to verify how it’s working.

I’ve run this set up for about a month now and it seems to be working fine. That said, only because I come back to shore power and a good digital battery charger to top off the Lithium each time out. I think of you are only charging off the motor, you need to look into using a DC to DC charger. I’m not 100% on that, but hopefully smarter people than me on here will figure it out. I think the Lithiums are going to be taking over soon though.

Last edited:
In my little research.... It seems that the Lithium's do not get a FULL charge off the Alt. Lithium's need a higher charging rate which is given by a designated charger for them.

In my little research.... It seems that the Lithium's do not get a FULL charge off the Alt. Lithium's need a higher charging rate which is given by a designated charger for them.
That seems to be the case. They need 14.4 to 14.6V and it appears my Yam is at about 13.5 to 13.6v. So they will charge but just not back to a true full charge. The DC to DC charger will send the 14.4 or so but they are limited on the amp side by the size of the unit and what is available on amps from the system. The net amps on my old 225 are around 28 DC amps to charge with. Again, I think I know just enough to screw it up, lol.
Tks Wart.

Back