16 degree deadrise vs 21 degree deadrise

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just recently retired and decided to buy a Parker 2520 but I'm hung up between the XL and the XLD. I like the deep vee on the XLD but the better price is on a leftover XL. It seems the XL had a modified vee at 16 degree rather than all other Parker boats with a 21 degree Deadrise. I'd like to know if there is a notable difference in ride and handleing between the two or the stability of the craft.

Jerry,

Congrats on your decision to buy a Parker. You won't be disappointed.

The issue of Mod V and Deep V has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum and you should be able to find threads with lots of comments.

I purchased a Mod V because it was a leftover that was priced right. The advantage was that it had one motor, not two, so therefore I has lower fuel costs and didn't have to spend more money for the second motor.

Having said that, I wish I had purchased the Deep V. If they had a DV with a single 350, I would have bought that. BUT, depending on what kind of seas you deal with on a regular basis, the Mod V might be just fine.

Good Luck.

Larry.....yours is like new......if Jerry decides on Mod V maybe you guys could work out a deal and you could get that DV/f350. :D

In the spirit of the day... you will find partisans on both side of the MV versus DV aisle here Jerry. :D

Modified vee - shallow draft, powered easilly with a single motor for lower operating costs, stable on the drift.

Deep vee - deeper draft, able to negotiate rougher seas at higher speeds than an MV, more roll on the drift than an MV.

I own the older 14 degree modified vee (no longer produced), and I have found it to be a strong, stable platform. By upgrading my trim tabs to 24x9's I am able to stay on plane as low as 10 kts when the Bay gets really sloppy. In a short, steep chop, you will need to learn to slow down in an MV to avoid a rough ride at the helm.

If you don't mind slowing down under these conditions, you will be rewarded with a safe and economical ride. I cruise between 4000 and 4400 rpm making between 20 and 27 kts burning between 12 and 14 gph from a single 1997 Yamaha 225 OX66 outboard.

Image-DB840A65C5C611DA.jpg

Thank you all for your advice on this matter. I was planning to run out of Point Pleasant NJ and thats a straight shot to the Atlantic coast from there and up through the New York Bight. I would like to have the option of going off shore if I wanted to without worrying about the chop.

Jerry

jerry":3b6y7bsn said:
Thank you all for your advice on this matter. I was planning to run out of Point Pleasant NJ and thats a straight shot to the Atlantic coast from there and up through the New York Bight. I would like to have the option of going off shore if I wanted to without worrying about the chop.

Jerry

.....Shhhhh. (Deep V) :wink:

jerry":31fw83js said:
I would like to have the option of going off shore if I wanted to without worrying about the chop.
My head says "Go with the deep-V for that use". But in all honesty ... I run the older 14-degree deadrise mod-V and on those days when I've 'turned the boat around to head for the barn', due to it being too rough ... if I couldn't stand on my deck to fish ... there's NO WAY anyone aboard a deep-V could fish comfortably.

To me ... the big difference between the 2 hull types is the SPEED at which you can comfortably run. That said, each does have its own advantages, e.g., mod-V more economical to run, more stable at rest, etc.

Hey Jerry,

Really old reply to this topic, but I don't get around here much.

The MOD V can get out in some nasty weather, as we saw last year.

Added 24 x 9 trims on the back and it really acts like it's a Deep V boat, but you have to slow down a tad bit. Not 10 knots, but more like 20-22 knts, vs 30 - 35 knots.

I have a DV and a MV boat now and the benefits of the MV are so great, it is hard to believe that they sold many DV boats. Just put the proper trims on a Parker MV and you will enjoy a dry, comfortable ride. The banging and loss of control on a Parker 2520 MV is because Parker didn't put the proper trims on a stock boat to begin with and thus, got a bad name on the MV boats.

Ask yourself a question, what's more important, smooth ride to the fishing spot and completely enjoy your trip, or...... very slightly rougher ride swapping lies and getting out to the hole, then a smooth comfortable drift wherever you are.

We spent alot of time on the 2520 MVSC this last year on the west coast and just pounded fish! Longest day was a Coos Bay Oregon fishing trip out 65+ miles off of the Oregon coast, in rough weather, but damn was it nice! Also, many Halibut drifts when the other boats were standing by at the docks. 2520 MVSC will Git-R-Dun everywhere the DVs will. I was really asking the same question at first, but did the right things and our boat is a cadillac on the water. Save the extra money and get yourself an autopilot. Simrad AP-26 and some radar. Let the DV guys pass you on the way out at 2x the fuel burn, then laugh while they pound around the back deck trying to fish.

Attachments

• going-out2.jpg
    going-out2.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 3,268
since this one just popped up new, ill add my input. im a deep vee guy. we run a 2530 with twin Yamaha carbed 150s. i will say that powerwise, the twins are necessary for us. however, a single 350 probabaly would do the trick like TOL said. so, you are gonna burn a few more gallons. however. i run out of indian river inlet, DE, which is pretty close to your targeted waters. if you want to run to the canyons, you want a deep vee. there is no such thing as too much deadrise in our area, because there is no such thing as a calm day either. now, i will say that i have never ridden a modified vee with larger tabs. that is a result of the fact that none of my parker-owning friends have deep vees. that said, i cannot comment on the ride of such a vessel. similar, i would say, to the way that most (with some exceptions) of the modified vee guys cant comment on the supposedly "rip roarin'" drift of the deep vees. lets put it this way: in our boat, any day we can run in, we can fish in. weve never been able to run to the grounds and then not be able to fish due to a poor drift. the mod vee drift must be amazing indeed, if its better than the deep vee's which is pretty amazing as it is. bottom line: if youre looking to cruise the bay, be able to run more slowly and save a few bucks on fuel, go for the mod vee. if, on the other hand, you dont want to take 5 hours to get to the grounds (which, by translation, means either an overnight stay or a 1 o'clock sailing time), want twin engines for additional safety (which does mean more maintenance costs) and the ability to run more comfortably in rougher seas, and are willing to spend a few more bucks at the pump, then the deep vee's your boat. finally, as i said, i dont now of anyone who runs offshore in our area that owns a modified vee. just my observations :wink:

pelagic2530":3jzbfrbk said:
... if you want to run to the canyons, you want a deep vee. there is no such thing as too much deadrise in our area ...

Can't disagree with that! And if I were canyon running, I'd want twin OBs for power too.

I would have to agree on the deep vee. My old boat had a 24 degree vee and was very narrow. That thing would rock. the width of the Parkers make the deep vee very stable. They don't rock all that much.

If you are planning on running mostly in the briny blue you can either buy the Deep Vee or get yourself a fiberglass jock strap.

Please move the Ling cod three feet to the right.

New owner of a 23 se and plan on using it in buzzard bay. Any one been there in one.

Coming from a Grady Marlin i can attest as having 2 engines and a sharp entry will help offshore. I had my grady for 9 years and putting the tabs down i was able to cruise offshore to the canyons or sharking grounds very nicely...but even a deep V or sharp entry will not be enough for a 30 or under boat in rougher conditions......I have since sold the grady and purchased a Parker 23SE as my needs have changed to mainly bay/inlet fishing and I can say now after using it a few times the right amount of tab can keep the bow down enough so the entry cuts the wave and keeps from taking the crests on the flats....i'm sure that if/when launched its gonna be a kidney belt bounce!

So if it were me.... far offshore = 2 smaller more fuel engines such as twin 150's rather than 300 or 350 & deep V. Both deep & mod V need proper tabs to tune it right. Good luck with your purchase

jerry- i have run my 23se for 4 years out of pt pleasant and my 21se for 5 years before that. I go out alot. I have found that any time that it is too rough for me, it is too rough for anything under 30 feet. I do alot of drift fishing (bottom fishing & livelining for stripers) and have found the mod v to be extremely stable. I can run in just about most seas pretty comfortably, i just might need to slow it down a little bit. I take it out as far as the glory hole. The worst thing in our area is trying to come home from up north (like shrewsbury rocks or something) when that south wind kicks up. There is just nowhere to hide from that.

Jerry, I'm in my 6th season with the 25XL 16 degree single 225F setup and I love the boat. I run in Long Island Sound from one end to the other. If the XLD was available in '04 I would have bought one. I pound in a tight chop some but on the other hand I haven't ridden in a XLD so I can't tell you how much better it would ride. Both great boats but for offshore as has been said go with DV and the security of twins. IMO

I have a 23 mod vee, my buddy has a 21 deep vee. I would trade him in a heart beat for the deep vee. Even though his boat is 2' shorter it runs great in the chop. I don't have to slow up, but his boat is much smoother. I fish out of Beach Haven inlet & fishes out of Barnegat. The shallow draft works well in my bay, & in the sound in Hatteras. I don't think you have to worry about sandbars & shoals out of Point Pleasant. GL with the decision.

Back