1801 trailer axle- drop-center or straight?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
I have a 2006 1801 on an aluminum Road King trailer. I have replaced the bunk hardware and brackets with stainless steel. The boat gets splashed a lot in salt water and is thoroughly rinsed every time but the single axle is rotting out at the spindles and needs to be replaced. The axle is a drop-center and not a straight axle. My question to any 1801 owners- does your trailer have a drop-center or straight axle?

Jonas

Something to consider...

If you need to replace the axle, consider a torsion axle. (no springs to rust away)
A torsion axle will also get the center of gravity lower and provides benefits when loading and unloading at the ramp.
Stainless disc brakes and stainless hardware should also provide some longevity.

Warthog5 has a lot of experience putting together trailers that will last including axle hubs and wiring.
Hopefully he will see this post.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks Gentlemen! I've kicked the idea of installing a torsion axle around long enough, I believe I will go that direction as well as the galvanized hubs!

Just went thought the same thing with the trailer for my old Maycraft 1800. Original springs and axle lasted almost 15 years so it wasn't worth the additional expense to me to go torsion. So I purchased new leaf springs, new bushings and a factory replacement axle. Before mounting I soaked the springs in motor oil (just happened to do a change on my daughter's car the day before) for a week.

That stupid trailer rode smoother than my new Tundra. :?

Back