1994 Parker 2320 extended cabin open back project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed! It seems happier in its new position. The test will be how it does in a following sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megabyte":6pjiz0lc said:
Much cleaner water after raising it.

I’m a bit ignorant on the topic, but is that the goal to get the prop to run in as clean of water as possible for best performance?

mheltunen":sw25a2g4 said:
Megabyte":sw25a2g4 said:
Much cleaner water after raising it.

I’m a bit ignorant on the topic, but is that the goal to get the prop to run in as clean of water as possible for best performance?

Not only the prop, but raising it gets the lower unit case up where it isn't plowing water.
When the motor is rigged too deep, the lower unit plows water, and it shouldn't.
Rigged correctly, the cavitation plate on the lower should be just on top of the water when running.

mheltunen":xwnzgi92 said:
With 4 guys and 80-100 gallons of fuel (with motor raised to middle bolts) cruise 30 mph at 4500 and 40 mph at 6100. Steering is a bit heavy turning to port but may need to bleed lines. Now I need to rig it for trolling.

I am more than likely way off, but being that heavy i.e 4 guys with 100gal of fuel reaching 6100 rpms, could mean that you might be a little under propped. In my opinion and this is just my two cents, I would want to reach 6100 being as light as possible. Being loaded down, I would want to be around the 5700 mark. If this was my set-up, I would look into a prop with a little more "bite"...you can Give Ken @ prop God's and call he will either get you dialed in, tell you how dumb I am.

The propping is definitely something to consider but I want more time on it before I do That. Conditions at the time of the water test were perfect and frequently I do operate in conditions that more thrust (or torque) may be good. One of my previous vessels was propped a bit too high and when running heavy in rough seas she would struggle climbing waves.

mheltunen":2hkc8o0i said:
The propping is definitely something to consider but I want more time on it before I do That. Conditions at the time of the water test were perfect and frequently I do operate in conditions that more thrust (or torque) may be good. One of my previous vessels was propped a bit too high and when running heavy in rough seas she would struggle climbing waves.

Well said, the only way to know what you need is to use what you got. I was merely suggesting that you have room for a prop with more " bite" to help with heavier loads and the need to get up on plane. There is no doubt about it, your definatly on the right track.

This was mine after I raised it all the way up. Was running 5500 and about 40mph when taken. With me being 250 and standing in that port corner on the 2120, I’m probably dipping the rear down a tad more than where it’s normal running height would be? Yours looks like it’s just right to me. As you said, after some running time in different conditions, you will know. With the engine raised, you should expect to experience some additional tendency to cavitate if you put her into a tight turn on plane under high and or increasing throttle. When doing this maneuver, always drop your trim all down entering the turn.

Attachments

• DF1C522F-1306-4D46-A279-B0040E457C33.jpeg
    DF1C522F-1306-4D46-A279-B0040E457C33.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 171
shawnee83":mfeqiv7l said:
With the engine raised, you should expect to experience some additional tendency to cavitate if you put her into a tight turn on plane under high and or increasing throttle. When doing this maneuver, always drop your trim all down entering the turn.

^^^^. This. ^^^^
Boat handling 101.

Megabyte":37ww0yt5 said:
shawnee83":37ww0yt5 said:
With the engine raised, you should expect to experience some additional tendency to cavitate if you put her into a tight turn on plane under high and or increasing throttle. When doing this maneuver, always drop your trim all down entering the turn.

^^^^. This. ^^^^
Boat handling 101.

Yes, probably didn’t need to mention that as it’s a given no matter what height the motor is mounted. Should have just left it at, “it will break loose a little easier”, with the higher mount.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the feedback.

cutch9138":f02b6yn2 said:
mheltunen":f02b6yn2 said:

Well said, the only way to know what you need is to use what you got. I was merely suggesting that you have room for a prop with more " bite" to help with heavier loads and the need to get up on plane. There is no doubt about it, your definatly on the right track.

I appreciate the feedback. When the time comes to change prop sizes it will be a tough decision. I’m very pleased that the current prop is in the “ball park” considering it was setup for saltwater and now resides in fresh.

Life’s been busy lately and I’ve not had much time to take her out much yet. Our local fishing is starting to get into full swing so hopefully soon. This past weekend we compounded and waxed the hull. She cleaned up pretty well.
3dcb2ac6af0c662276c80b3a877a465a.heic

First trip out fishing. Not a bad evening, but discovered she does have a wet deck at slow trolling speeds. I need to get a plug that’s easily removable.
f965bf9078f47cfaadd49dd9ab573293.jpg

That’s a nice shot. Seems to be an issue I’ve heard before on the water. Was you fuel tank full? Mine is sensitive to weight in the stern. I try to only have enough fuel on board for where I’m running with reasonable reserve. Basically, I’ve found that keeping mine at 1/2 tank or so unless I’m running to the stream, makes a big difference on handling.

Back