1997 Parker 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3fletch

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am new to this forum... my name is Mike.

I am looking at a 1997 Parker 2520 which looks to be in very good condition... but.. I have never owned a boat so I know little about what I should be looking at.

Here is the limited info I have on the boat:

- Boat was stored in a garage when not in use
- 350 Chevy motor in/outboard
- 790 hours
- CB radio
- GPS navigator
- 2 LCD Sounders
- AM/FM CD player
- professionally maintained (owner's nephew is head mechanic at a marina in Solomons Island, MD
- Tri-axle trailer included

Asking price for the boat is $21,500

NADA Boats shows: Sugg Retail: $49,110... Low Retail: $10,915... High Retail: $12,425

Does $21,500 appear to be a fair asking price for the boat (i.e. is there wiggle room to go down)? I have no idea how to interpret the NADA Boats info with such a huge gap between suggested retail and the High Retail values...

What should I look for regarding condition?
Is it acceptable to ask owner to take me out for a demo ride?

Any inputs/guidance is greatly appreciated... I have been "coveting" a Parker for a long time and now have a home with a dock and boat lift on a creek that leads to Patuxent River then to Chesapeake Bay. This boat looks good and the info I have indicates the owner was very gentle with the boat (probably never been at top speed) and was fastidious about maintenance.

I am meeting with owner later today... hoping to get some input from members of this forum before 1:00 - 2:00 PM (eastern) today if possible...

Thanks in advance for any help I get with this inquiry!
(my email: [email protected])

Mike

There could be wiggle room. :)

Personally......I would not want a I/O.

Slower than a Outbound of proper HP
Louder than a Outboard
eats a LOT of deck space

I know marine mechanic's that hate them..... just because they are a pain to work on.

Mike, NADA pricing is way off on Parker boats. I recently sold a 1993 2520 inboard for $25,000 so if the condition is good the boat is surely worth it, but....
as Warthog said you may not want to deal with an I/O. It's probably in good shape given the mechanic in the family but they can be a real headache maintenance-wise. Aluminum outdrives sitting in salt water don't fare well in the long run. Unless you're a mechanic yourself, repairs at yard rates can run into big buck$.

Thanks Warthog5!

Being a newbie...

I'm not concerned with the slower speed of the I/O, but I am curious to know if its a "substantially" slower speed, to the point of seaworthiness in a following sea or other such issue... is that a concern?

Loudness of the I/O... I am hoping to get a test ride to check that out...

Deck space hog of the I/O... I'll have to check on that.. I forgot to take a picture from wheelhouse to stern when I looked at the boat and now I can't picture the size of the engine box...

There are not a lot of 1997 2520s on sale out there to do price comparisons to determine "wiggle room"... is there some source, other than NADA Boats that I could research the "fair market value" of this 1997 Parker 2520?

Again... thanks for your input!

Thanks Twoboater!!

In regard to the aluminum outdrive... if I bought this boat, I would have it on a boat lift, completely out of the water on a creek (brackish water)... I would be rinsing/washing down the exterior of the boat after each trip out... would that eliminate/mitigate the issue of corrosion of the aluminum outdrive?

See my follow-up post to other response.... is there some other web site or source for determining fair market value of Parkers?

I do appreciate you sharing the selling price of your 1993!

Hey 3fletch,

There are many more experienced Parker owners on this site than me however, since I live in your area, I felt I would share my 2 cents and another offer I found on Craigslist in our area. First, the price you mentioned in my opinion is very reasonable depending on the condition. I bought a 1997 2320 for $20k back in April w/an older (2001) 2 stroke motor on it. I feel I got plenty of boat for the money and am happy with the boat. The 2520 is quite a bit larger and more boat and if I lived on the water with a boat lift (like you mentioned in earlier post) I would definitely prefer the 2520, none the less I am harpy with my 2320.

On another note, and I have nothing to do with this ad and do not know the seller, I wish I had seen this boat prior to buying mine. It has a new Suzuki 300 motor and trailer which is worth (in my opinion) the asking price of the boat. Don't know if it's been sold or not but maybe you should check it out. Also, it is fairly close to where we live and been on the market for about a month. Many people may be worried of the age of the boat but I wouldn't be, there are much older Parker's on this site in great condition.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/5212716710.html

Good luck

Madgar,

Thank you!!!

All good info!! I will check the Craigslist ad!!

Couple things I have discovered today...

Internal gas motors - Manifold replacement usually required between 300-600 operating hours... major overhaul at 1500 - this boat has 750

outdrive/drive unit replacement - 750 hours - this boat 's outdrive has 750 hrs...

Ruh-roh... maybe...

kidfreediver,

Understood... sent a note to owner to see if boat still for sale... no reply yet... its also listed for @ $10K more than the 1997 I/O...

3fletch":1967sowg said:
kidfreediver,

Understood... sent a note to owner to see if boat still for sale... no reply yet... its also listed for @ $10K more than the 1997 I/O...

In actuality the I/0 is asking 21,500. You might be able to get him down a little maybe to 20,000 but u can buy that Parker right now for 27,000 cash??????? 7,000 more and u get a lot more boat motor electronics. 93 hull is all u we have to look at. Have it surveyed? I own a 95 2530 in great shape. You sound like u have reason and I trust u will do the right thing.

The ad for the 1993 had a phone number at the bottom and as mentioned, you can get it for 27k. What's most appealing to me is the motor warranty. Not sure if Suzuki is 3,5 or 6 but either one of them is great with a used boat for 27k. Something to think about and I know some of the Most respected members on this site swear by Suzuki. Also, 300 hp seems to me like great power for that boat. I would love to have it but will have to live through someone else to buy it :roll: Give him a shout, some individuals that list their number don't check email.
Good luck

Truly appreciate all the inputs... I'll be calling the owner of the Suzuki powered '93 today...

Again, thanks for all the help!!!

Price seems reasonable for that boat.
Although the motor box takes up part of the cockpit, it can also be a 'work table / sun pad'. Not bad, just different.

If the boat was maintained as you say, I would not be concerned. Just make sure that you keep up on that maintenance.
In fact, you should keep up the maintenance on any boat, inboard, outboard, or I/O.

Hull on that 97 is probably the same 14 degree dead rise as my 1996.
Honestly, I like my 14 degree hull better than the 16 degree XL's I've fished off of due to the lower freeboard.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about space lost due to the motor box. A 2520 has like a gazillion square feet of deck space so the 9 or so taken up by the box won't make much of a difference.

Manifolds and risers is just one of those cost of ownership things on an I/O and I don't by the 750 hr lifespan of an outdrive...

Folks... All good info...

Bad news on 1997 2520... Spoke to owner last night and boat is not seaworthy for a sea trial, and would require about $2,000 in repairs (relays for out drive and exhaust hull gasket/seal replacement) that I would have to pay for if I wanted to do a pre-purchase trial and he is not willing to adjust price below $18,500 even if sea trial and survey reveal additional needed work.

So.... I'm still shopping for a Parker 2520...

Again, I thank all for their inputs!!

Can I jump on this string to ask a similar question? I live in Alaska and do most of my boating in Prince William Sound, in the Gulf of Alaska. I currently have a 22' Weldcraft (softtop), but am looking to upgrade and came across a 2000 Parker 2520 Sport cabin on Craigslist.

I have to admit I am not familiar with and have never heard of Parker boats and in asking around here, neither have most of my boating buddies. Most of what we see around here for fiberglass boats would be like Osprey, SeaSport, and Kingfisher's.

So I have a couple of quetions: (1) people like their Parker's and they are reliable and seaworthy for offshore open water boating? And, (2) asking price is $55K which seems a bit high (Alaskans are known to be very fond of ther boats) comes with a 2007 250 Yamaha with 300 engine hours, Furano Navnet radar with GPS and color sounder, Lewmar windlass, new fuel tank and lines, and recondtioned dual-axle trailer. Does this sound like reasonable price?

Anyone know what these vessels go for (or would have) new?

Appreciate the forum and any comments readers can provide.

Thanks
John

3fletch - Yep! That's the same one! Thanks for looking. The link you showed had a few more details. Sounds like a nice well-kept boat. Was just hoping to get some opinions from other than the seller.

Thanks again!

I am the proud owner of a 1996 2520 and I really enjoy the boat. I would love to repower it with a new 4 stroke, but the old lush Merc just keeps chugging along. I would highly recommend getting a survey done on any used boat that you plan on purchasing.
The investment of a few hundred for the survey could save you thousands.

Back