200 hp Yamaha OX66 good motor?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokybo

Reaction score
I am looking at a boat with twin 2000 two stroke motors. I know they probably smoke a little, but are they that much louder and less fuel efficient than the 4's. I tried to search Yamaha bulletin but could not find anything. Will I regret the 2 strokes? The boat is in good shape and the hours are low. Any one with these motors or experience, I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance. Jim

One of the best motors ever made........period. They do not smoke excessively at all and are not gas hogs running withing normal range under 4500RPM's.

Dunno why people say this about them.

John_Madison CT":2l0kipsz said:
One of the best motors ever made........period. They do not smoke excessively at all and are not gas hogs running withing normal range under 4500RPM's.

I second that!

Parker23":2mc4dfdm said:
John_Madison CT":2mc4dfdm said:

I second that!

agreed! one of the best yami's ever. this motor has a good history, easy MX, and lots of torque. If you like the boat I wouldn't let the motors make or break the deal.

OK of they r so good and fuel efficient why don't they still make the same style motor....

I had an 1999 ox66 is averaged 1.15 mpg in an 6600 lb boat
it ran great, it ate oil and lasted till 1500 hrs

next boat was a etec on a 6200 lb boat it sipped gas 1.89 mpg min avg
2.12 high avg it sipped oil

next is my new boat 2820 twin yammie 4x pur like kittens quite as all hell and nice great on gas...

If boating is getting harder due to economic factors y have to buy oil at 20/30 a gallon and get less gas milage?????

Assume u boat inshore 25x a season 35-40 miles per trip roung trip including trolling thats
$600-700 just for oil on a 2x
now compare mpg of ox66

25x35/1.15 thats 761 gallons at $3.3 a gallon thats $2511

now save all but the oil change and filter (about $130 or less)
and assume 1.9 mpg on a 4x
25x35/18.4 thats 460 gallons @ $3.3 thats $1518

So you will save 993 on gas and 520 on oil thats $1513 PER YEAR!!!!!!

WOW $1500 and this is an avg ,....if you run conservatively you can get 2.2 mpg

in 5 years thats $7500 humm

Add that to the cost of the boat if not more!!!

"GOOD MOTOR" good for the gas companies!!!!!

Runs awesome, provided u feed it oil and dont mind the noise and expenses that can now be avoided!!!

Like we all know it for the time WAS AWESOME (WAS) doesnt mean you shouldnt buy the boat!!! just chiming in with educational info instead of "BRAVADO" or personal likes......

Some times being objective help , some people dont like this, they rather like to voice opinions or project their own ideas, which is cool...

Plus not to mention stopping to buy oil, and storage and ...lol u get it , not knocking the brand/ i have yammies, nocking the technology and cost to run as well as enviormental issues of spewing oil into water and god forbid u have to add at sea, spilling into the ocean!!!(yeah no one ever spilled in the ocean )

Yust my little take , im sure others will come in to "DEFEND" the ox66 that they love....
like i said i had one it worked great but.....hogged gas (as compared to new motors) and is LOUD as all hell!!!

Good luck any way the Parker is awesome as a brand and sometimes we have "caviar taste with a tuna fish wallet"

I don't think anyone here was saying buying a ox66 would be a better investment then a 4 stroke. The thread title was is this a good motor? The answer is yes. If you found the same boat for the same price with 4s on it would that be a better deal?....of coarse, but this would never happen the price with 4s's would be considerably more. You are absolutely right, 4S's are much quieter and economical, but comparing overall cost and MX schedule is apples to oranges. Most people if money is not an object would go with the newer technology, but since this is not the case for most, an overall package of boat and motors is considered when buying used. Sorry if you were offended.

That is exactly the case. I am looking at two almost identicle boats. Both have low hours and are about 8-10 yrs old, one has 4 strokes and is more than $15,000.00 higher. I have a 4 stroke on my boat now and love it. Never had a 2 stroke over 25hp and haven't been on a boat with them, so I don't know anything about them. A 10 yr. old motor with no hours can maybe be a bad thing, if not taken care of, 4 or 2, don't know. It's a tough decision. $15,000 is a lot of money. The 2 stroke motors look brand new, look like they were kept under cover. Trying to get some fuel burn comparisons to run the #'s. A 40% more fuel usage for 2's is a lot, if that's what they use. But if fuel burn at cruise speed isn't that much more than it's not as big a deal cause I don't run wide open much. I can't get a sea trial on the boats to compare the noise cause they are both in storage. I appreciate the feedback received so far. All comments are welcome.

Fuel burn on my single 225 OX66 is aprox 11-13 gph @ 4000 to 4400 rpm which is 'crusing speed' for my hull.

I buy my oil by the case (Penzoil full synthetic) and use Ringfree, Star*Tron, and StaBil at every fill-up.
She burns clean and will smoke a bit when cold, but not after she comes up to operating temperature.
I attribute the clean burn to the full-syn oil and the ammendments.

At idle, the 4-strokes are certainly quieter, but at speed... they are very close.
Most of the 'noise' is coming from the airbox, not from the mechanicals.

Those burn numbers are accurate. I've owned 225 and 250hp ox66's and they both burn 12-13gph at 4100rpms. The 200hp is the same block, so probably close to this on gph. MPG is completely different though, depends on many factors mainly what prop and wieght.

The OX66 line was very reliable. If they were broken in properly, maintained properly, propped and used properly throughout their life, they probably still are. However, one thing to think about is that they are now 10 years old. And with age, you also may want to look at other things like corrosion.

Decide on what are you planning to do with the boat. I'm assuming the models you are looking at are in the 25' line with a deep v. Most of the 25 Deep Vs have a 173 gallon fuel tank.

So, if you are planning on doing mostly inshore fishing or cruising, I'd think you are fine with the OX66 engines. If you are looking at shooting out offshore on a regular basis and running 250 miles round trips, I would lean toward a newer more efficient engine. Just remember. Depending on how the engines were treated, it is possible that the older OX66s are in better condition than the 4 strokes.

When I upgraded to a four stroke from an OX66, my engine had 950 hours on it. The compression was still great and it ran great. However, I did like to go offshore on occation and I was looking for more range. The two stroke oil savings is negated by the 4 stroke oil changes. The noise was never a real issue but the 4 stroke is definitely quieter. And it is nice that I don't smoke up the marina after it has been sitting for a while. But the real reasons for the repower was the increased range and my peace of mind.

Decide on your needs, get the boats and engines checked and surveyed, and make an objective decision. Just my opinion.

Best of luck with your decision.

Yes i stated like 4x that it WAS as great motor lol for a long time running................

and i do support all your efforts for info.......

i do not agree with buying 2x unless u are forced to !!!!!

If you have one , IM NOT KNOCKING IT. i am simply stating that its old tech, and that if you can try to make your life easier!!!

My 2820 at 3800 with TWIN 225 burns 18-21 gal per hr THAT FOR TWO MOTORS......with out burning oil

Buy now most of the 4 sale boats "MOSTLY" can be purchased in 4X models....In these economic times BARGAIN LIKE HELL N GET THE 4x

AS 4 the comment on sound!!!!!
BULL !@$*
NO WAY is a 0x66 as quite as a 225 4x NO WAY ....i can sit next to motor while running at high speeds and have a normal conversation.......

Jokybo,

FWIW
I put 2400+ hours on a OX66 before replacing the powerhead. It was still running when I decided to do the overhaul. Like others have said they were/are dependable, solid motors. They went out of production in 2004 because of government standards.

You will have to decide if it is worth 15K more. Personally I like the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning.

wow ok i prefer the smell of my coffee... but what ever turns u on.....my ox66 lasted 1500 then needed a stader then fuel pumps then it got louder n louder at 2100 i couldnt take it any more .....but it ran hard ......come to think of it EDSELS ran too......oh and hummers are great to drive .....from gas station to gas station... but they look good doing i too...

Just busting balls no need to reply...1 week to go to put it back in the water...thank god...

Man what they can do with photoshop. I drove 3hrs each way to look at the 25 Parker with 2 strokes. It's pretty depressing to see a quality boat with supposedly low hrs. not taken care of. Everything metal inside the cabin was salt corroded, rusted or pitted. It looks like he left it covered in the sun for 10 yrs, with no ventilation and didn't even bother to clean it up before putting it up for sale. Even the carpeted walls and ceiling was stained(probably from mold). The motors that looked brand new in the photos were discolored and faded uneven. One had exploded a piston last spring and had a new powerhead. Boat never went back in the water so the other one might be next. Probably from lack of use. Dealer said that was a $5K repair. I could handle replacing and cleaning all the hardware and stuff, but I don't think I trust those motors and it didn't sound like the price was going to drop enough to make a potential repower work. I guess I will make the long haul to check out the one with the 4s. Dealer said the 2 strokes burned 13 gals. ea. @ cruise. Thanks again for the comments.

Sorry it didnt work out
Sucks when people dont represent correctly

But after all those who chimed in about the OX66 being "THE BEST" i kinda feel bad saying "I told you so" so i wont , instead i am hoping u find one at a good price with a 4x with 400 hrs or less....

I went through 6 months of shopping and 4 states only to get a newer 06 w 4x......in my home town!!!!

I plan on keeping my boat for 10 yrs and im sure the motors will last up to 3000 hrs b4 repairs.....my buddies 225 yammies have 3200 hrs and r still going strong .....

the savings in 10 years will be 15000 plus so to me its worth it...

Good hunting

Back