2002 xl 2520 f225 prop upgrade ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdevil

Reaction score
I have a 2002 xl 2520 with a 4 stroke 225 yamaha and would like to do some small upgrades this off season as in a better prop than the stock one and what ever can be done to improve the performace a bit. I will need some advice on what to do to it and how to go about picking the best prop for my boat and any other performance upgrades. I seen the post on the permatrim plate and that seems to work well but I do not know where to start and if that is for a spacific problem or just helps out with planning out faster.
The max rpm with out trimming out the engine is about 5200 rpm at 28 mph with 3/4 fuel and 3 people or so
When trimming up it will go about 5600 rpm and will max out at 30 mph [on a good day] I keep reading posts of the same boats running much faster when all set up properly. i still have the stock black stainless prop [15x17?] on it and it is bottom painted but real clean. I generaly run the boat around 4800 rpm and it will cruise at 26 /27 mph but there isn't much gain between 4800 and 5600 rpm , it does take a bit to get it up and going but the trim tabs work great for that. what would be the best upgrades for my boat?

what size and pitch do I need? and where is the best place to order one? what is a good deal on one? how much $$
I may want to get one to give it a try before I haul it out in a couple of weeks..

Got mine from ken at prop gods propgods.com He will sell you the prop and if you don't like it will swap out with you until you are happy. Naturally, you have to pay shipping back and forth but its nice to know he will work with you.

+1 on Ken @ PropGods. I haven't even bought anything from him yet, and he's been extremely kind and helpful. I have referred several others who have bought props from him, though.

Talked to Ken from prop gods today and he recommends the a mirage prop with 15 pitch. placed the order and will have it by next weekend to test out before I pull it for the season. Seems like a good guy and knows his stuff pretty well. Thanks for the referral.

I was just wondering why he does not think the rev 4 will be a good prop for my boat seeing it works well on other 2520 xl"s.
what do you typicaly see for performance gains with the rev 4? what is the top speed on your boats and at what rpm will it turn?
He feels mine has a ton of slip going on with the boat not really gaining speed between 4800 rpm to max rpm of 5800 rpm it seems to reach max speed of 30mph at 5100 rpm and nothing more at the higher rpm. I guess we will see what happens next week.

I would be curious to observe your tests if you have room.I have talked to Ken concerning my repower w/ a 225 Opti on a 2520MVSC.Believe we have @ 2 degree diff in DR but the XL is heavier too.I started with a Mirage 15x17 before I talked to Ken and don't seem to be getting the upper RPM I should.

sorry but I had to pull the boat today so testing will not get done this season , but you would of been more than welcome to come along. Where are you from? Started cleaning and getting her ready for winter storage, what a project.

Had your early season boat picture been taken a bit later I'd have been in the photo too.My 2520MVSC is on the mooring you pass heading out of your marina.Saw you running North in the cove just after I left my boat on Monday-thought perhaps you were going to do prop runs.
Alas,I will also pull by Monday.Too early but I will be out of town til mid Nov and don't want to leave her unattended.

That is funny I never knew we had a Classic Parker member for a neighbor. I have seen your boat out a couple of times while we where fishing in the bay. how long have you had it there on the mooring and will it be there next year? What year is your boat and how do you like the merc on it? We will have to make a point of saying hello next year, have a good winter and see you in the spring..

Recognized the background of your boat photo earlier this year.Had a similar one last year with a fellow that keeps his boat over in Apponouag-can see it from the road to Crow's Nest.
I got my 95 2520MVSC last year while helping a buddy look for a new boat-he'd owned the steel hull Gullywhumper that you likely know if you have been in the cove for a while.Was primarily a sailor before with a Sabre sloop, but always had something like a 17 Whaler or 20' Lema also.Boat came with a 150 Yamaha which was a good engine but not for this boat.Found a used 225 Opti this summer and it seems to match the boat a lot better.
Have had something on the mooring for the last 18 years so I imagine I'll be out there again next spring -don't want to think about how far away that is now though.

Spring is here and we will be getting the boat out of storage april 07, it is that time again. seems like yesterday I was putting it away. Hope to get it out by the end of april to finally do the prop testing to see
what the differences are with the new prop from prop gods. The prop he recommended for my boat is the
mirage 15 3/4 x 15 pitch. I hope to see a difference for the better...

Finally got the boat in the water this weekend and was able to see how the prop performed. Everything seems to be for the better
from the use I got this weekend. She plaines right out @ about 4200 / 4300 rpm and gets up to speed real quick, I have seen a 6 to 7 mph gain on the top end.
top speed is now 37mph @ 5900 rpm .
cruise comfortable @ 4900 rpm doing 31 mph
It has a whole different feel to the boat like it was repowered..
mirage plus 15.8 x 15

Back