2007 Parker 2520 XL H.P.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stressrelease

Reaction score
HI ALL,
I'm considering buying a 2007 Parker 2520XL with a 2007 Yamaha 250hp four stroke with 315hrs. Is this adequate power for this boat?
The boat will be used on the Great Lakes for fishing.

Thanks for the quick response! The owner of the boat had indicated that the boat was a deep v. Was the 2520xl offered both hull types in 2007?

Thanks for the quick response! The owner of the boat had indicated that the boat was a deep v. Was the 2520xl offered both hull types in 2007?
If it is the 'deep'-V it will be designated 2520 XLD. And the visual tell-tale is looking at the bow. How many lifting strakes are on the hull? If there are two, then it's the deep-v. See photo; this is the deep-V; there are two lifting strakes.
1711569054244.png

Thanks again for the knowledge.
Would there be a noticeable difference in ride over a 3ft chop going 25mph between a XL or XLD?

Thanks again for the knowledge.
Would there be a noticeable difference in ride over a 3ft chop going 25mph between a XL or XLD?
The short answer is 'yes', there is a noticeable difference. But doing 25mph, in a 3 foot 'chop' in most any boat is going to be a rough ride. I'm basing this on a 3' chop in the Pamlico Sound, Albemarle Sound, and Pungo/Pamlico Rivers. (all shallow waters, with 'square' waves). A true 3' chop in these waters at 25mph, is a bone-jamming ride in most any boat under 48' LWL.... EDIT: I just noticed you're likely boating in Lake Erie. I boated there as a kid in the 1950's and 1960's and remember it being pretty rough at times. Lake Erie is the shallowest great lake, but is still considered deep water (average around 60'?...200' tops) compared to what we have here in the eastern NC rivers and sounds. (mostly 10'-16' in the DEEP parts)... your 3' chop is likely a bit less severe than ours due to your deeper water.

Last edited:
It’s not gonna be a speed demon by any means but if the engines is propped correctly and running on all cylinders it will be OK. I’d guesstimate about 35ish at WOT, comfortable cruise in the mid 20s if it’s not rough and 1.5-2.0 mpg depending on load and sea state…

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the XLD would be your deep V and XL would be your MOD V. If you can see the boat, as mentioned above, look at the # of strakes to easily determine what it is. If it is indeed a Deep V that changes everything and 250 is certainly not enough and you would be disappointed however, I don't believe Parker let a Deep V leave the factory with only 250hp. So, with that being said, I feel it's a Mod V but you do need to check that.

Also, in my opinion, I think you would be fine with a Mod V where you are fishing, especially if you troll a lot, but going 25mph in 3'chop is not recommended in any Parker (unless your under 30 years old or own stock in Advil).

Parker did not offer a 2520 XLD (Deep Vee 21-degree deadrise) in 2007 with a single engine. It is most likely a 2520 XL (16-degree deadrise) those were offered with a single F250 or Twini F150s in 2007. It is not uncommon for people to call the 16-degree XL hull a deep vee to because it was deeper than the original Parker 25' hull that was 14 degrees and usually called a modified vee. The 2520 SLD (2 seat cabin) was offered with a single F250. The SLD did not have a motor bracket.

I was one of the owners of a 2520xl with the 225hp from factory. 2005 model. Yes it had 1100 hrs on it when replaced with no corrosion issues after 18 years. It was definitely underpowered with more than 2 people or over half tank of fuel. My neighbor has a 2007, same model with the 250, completely different characteristics underway. My top-speed was right at 36 under ideal conditions and light load. His is 38mph.

I have now upgraded to a 300 Yamaha. This engine is a perfect fit for my use on Chesapeake Bay. It now feels like a smaller, lighter, and more responsive boat. Very satisfied, the engine does not sound strained to push the boat, quieter, better gas mileage, a lot higher cruising speed, much higher top speed but like others have said, a 3 ft. Chop will jar your teeth out. However, with this engine in those conditions you can bow down with tabs, and trim down to get the bow down so the flair gets rid of most of the pounding and still stay comfortably on plane to stay underway.
Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
We had a 2008 2520 SLD with a 250HP Yamaha. This was a Deep Vee with the engine mounted on the transom. I believe the boat topped out at around 36 MPH when fully loaded. We typically ran heavy with lots of Scuba tanks, weight belts, ice, gas and crew. Our trips were runs to the Channel Island here in Southern California. We delt with afternoon wind chop and 3-to-5-foot swells on a regular basis. Definelty had to throttle back on the bigger swells, but the boat always handled the conditions very well.

Thanks all for the feedback about the Parker 2520 XL with a 250 Yamaha four stroke. Currently I have a 1997 Sportcraft 232 with volvo penta 5.7 I/O for power. Its time to get a bigger boat!

Back