2010 - 2520XL Review

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMR

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I bought my Parker 2520XL earlier this spring as a 2010 holdover with a 250 Yamaha and took delivery on May 3. Since then I have put 30 hours on it. I have only taken the family out once and I have been fishing the rest of the time.

If anyone cares to read it, here are some of my ramblings:

1. Ride - lots of talk about MV vs DV, etc. Well, I couldn't be happier. Maybe I don't know what a good ride is but so far I have been able to cruise a about 4,200 RPM's which gives me 24 MPH and I use 9.8 GPM. This is typically with 3 people and was around 140 gallons of gas in the tank and assorted gear. Sure, it pounds sometimes but I fool with the motor trim, trim tabs an speed and am able to find a great ride in your classic confused chop of LI Sound.
2. Docking - HA! The day I picked it up I nailed it mint, 3 times in a row. I took my family out over the next weekend and ended up sideways in the slip, I have two small ones and a wife so I was essentially by myself, thankfully some dudes were able to lend a quick hand. Since then I have observed that the tide actually pushes the boat around much more than the wind. So, I find that I back in the same direction no matter the wind and I have done great since. They put a boat next to me last weekend and it actually makes it easier. I still get a few butterflies coming in but it is not as big a deal as I thought. Easier than a boat launch. My dealer tells me to use the main controls but I find the second station easier, it is tough to see at night.
3. Fishing - just perfect, couldn't imagine a better boat for fishing. Lots of bass trolling and drifting so far. I love it. Second station is awesome. It fishes 3 guys no problem.
4. Motor - I never liked Yamaha but it is growing on me. I loved my Evinrude E-Tec and miss it, but so far the Yamaha has worked great, I would love to put a 250 E-tec on the boat for a couple days to compare the two.
5. Mishaps - while tied up in the wind one day the marina/dealer called to say that the dock rubbed off the gelcoat on the corner. Well I was pretty fired up but I have to say they fixed it perfectly, $400 later I feel poorer but the boat is fine. I think the slip is too small but I think I can tie it up to prevent damage.
6. Initial quality - there were a few small chips on the deck, probably from being a leftover, there was a gelcoat crack on the 2nd station and the washdown pump broke after a week. At the 20 hour service the dealer fixed it all, mint, no problems.
7. Dealer - Boats Inc. is really great, they treat me like gold, probably because it takes a lot of gold to buy and keep one of these but they are awesome.

All and all a glowing report. I think for sure that I bought the right and can't wait to have some fun this summer.

Guys, sorry, I have just a couple more thoughts:

1. Garmin 4212 - Awesome, love it, wicked easy to use, 12" screen is nice, pretty good visiblity from the back, I wish it were better, tinted windows make it hard, radar is pretty cool I have to say, sonar holds bottom without any exceptions

2. Carpet in the pilothouse - must have, I bought based on someone elses template, it fit just about perfect except for wireway on the port side, oh well, can't even tell it bulges up

all sounds good glad you are enjoying the new boat!!!

There is gonna be a parker rendezvous at Duck island which is right off the coast of Westbrook ct, on August 13th you should join us!!! (see thread in rendezvous section) bring the family, will be a fun day of grillin and chillin, its an easy ride from Niantic and a great Anchorage! Hope to see you there! 8)

Nice to hear you enjoying the boat.

A few things I have observed while docking my Parker.

1. Boats Inc. slips suck!!!! The fingers are too small for a 25 Parker.

2. The wind always grabs the pilot house so if you figure for that and use it to your advantage docking will be easier.

3. Parker raft ups are fun, hope to see you there, and tell all your Boat's Inc, brethren.

look forward to seeing you guys, let me know about this rendezvous more when you get a chance

also, yes, I like the entire set up at boats inc. except the piers are short and i think the boat next to me is way to close

any other marina options out there? i like good access to the race and then east to Weekapaug and stuff

I kep my other boat at Spicers but from Woodbury it is a much farther drive

thanks guys

Excellent report! 8)

Docking can be challenging in any boat. A single motor on a bracket, more challenging than any... but with practice, it can be done, and done well.
Fishing on a 2520... best of any boat out there! :wink:

Enjoy!

Back