2120 DVSC GPS/SOUNDER experience and suggestions needed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo sabe

Reaction score
Guys - Will likely be needing a GPS/Sounder and have not purchased marine electronics for about 9 seasons and need info to catch up. Would like to select a model that provides accurate position and ease of operation with C map or equivalent. On the sounder side, I just need decent resolution for bottom fishing down to 400 feet max and dual 50/200 transducer with the ability to zoom a section (usually the bottom 15-30 feet). I assume that a thru hull would provide best reception and detail but am open to suggestions. In looking at other posts, I see that many current models are touch screen which does not sound like the best idea with wet fishy paws but, again, I would appreciate hearing about the experience of others. It would be nice to flush mount since I am not going to be able to see too much from the cockpit anyway.......what's the best idea on flush mount vs. bracket ?

I need to keep the expense on this to the best value somewhere between 1000 and 2000 but the closer to 1000 the better.

All info and suggestions appreciated.

thanks -
sarge

KS
I run a 2120SC and have been very happy with my Garmin 740s...s for sounder along with the Garmine HD18 Radar....I run a good 50/200 Htz transducer thru hull....works at speed...love the touchscreen..pinch the enlarge/ decrease , etc....mine is on a bracket...sometimes you just want to change the angle...no can do with flush mount...I have posted a bunce of mods...pics may shoe Garmin..
With the new 740 xi out ( these have CHIRP sounder technology which wont work with non CHIRP transducers.....the 740s will be a deal
The 740s was on sale at Newport Beach West Marine for $750...so you may be able to find a deal on this unit and get a radar set for $1000 more.

I have a Lowrance HDS 7 touch with sidescan and also a transom mount transducer. I also have the 3G Radar and purchased the entire unit for somewhere around $3k. I think you would able to get the HDS 7 touch without radar easily for the price range you are posting.

I am still learning to use the sidescan but both have the ability to zoom in on the bottom. The transducer is a 50/83/200 and it works well for bottom fishing and also keeps the signal while running.

I also have an HDS 5 Gen 2 with buttons on the boat. I do not recommend the button version over the touch. I used to have a Garmin unit and thought it was easier to use (search for points, check tides) than the Lowrance. The touch version of Lowrance is much easier but the button version requires several screens and is not intuitive to me.

Good luck.

Steve

Furuno for depth/fishfinder. ... anything else - chirp or not - is in 2nd place.

For GPS units, I go with the ergonomics and ease of use/interface. Some models one has to wade thru multiple screens just to navigate around, fugheddaboutit!

I do prefer separate units for my main helm, but put a combined GPS/fish model (Lowrance Elite 5) in my toona tower and I'm really surprised and impressed at how well it works, since the entire thing was < $400, albeit it has a small screen.

TimC2520":p7bd0yfu said:
http://www.boemarine.com/furuno-gp1870f-7-color-gps-chartplotter-fishfinder-combo/

If you don't mind a combo unit, pair this with a B60 thru hull and you are probably just under budget (<$1,000).
Tim:

That's a SLICK looking combo unit. As much as I prefer single units, when I downsize to a <20' cuddy ... something like that would be ideal!

mildew2":2z7yoq2b said:
Always Garmin GPS for accuracy and simplicity....Furuno F.F.and thru-hull for sure.
J.M.O.

I agree. Ever watch Wicked Tuna? Furuno is what all those guys run for sonar as well. Must be a reason commercial guys like the Furuno.

By gawd I despise anything Garmin ...

The only useful item worth purchasing, to me, is that Rino combo civilian radio/GPS unit.

TimC2520":3opu3157 said:
http://www.boemarine.com/furuno-gp1870f-7-color-gps-chartplotter-fishfinder-combo/

If you don't mind a combo unit, pair this with a B60 thru hull and you are probably just under budget (<$1,000).

I added one to my boat this season and I really like the unit. I use it as my primary fishfinder and a back up GPS to my Garmin 3010c with radar. Keep in mind that the unit is priced very good but you do have to purchase the new CMap 4d cartography and the transducer which adds to the cost of the unit. He may go slightly over a grand with a b60 and CMap.

I went with the unit because of the sounder hard drive being the same as the FCV587 and the fact that it gave me a back up gps (My antenna went bad on my garmin during a charter trip this year so I found the importance of a back up system as I had to finish a trip without gps). I even opted for it over the new "chirp" units after talking with a developer for one of the big marine electronics companies who claims that the CHIRP units out there are only better in ideal water conditions. He claims the digital single pulse stuff is still better in most water conditions, especially with the poor water conditions we have in the Chesapeake.

Yes, the 4D charts dont come with the unit but they are very very impressive! http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/marin ... de_mod.pdf The unit is easy to use as well. Downside is that it is only NMEA2000 (no 0183) and you cannot add radar.

Here are some shots of how I have mine set up:
385159d1388414941-furuno-1870-f-chartplotter-e1.jpg

386291d1388853161-furuno-1870f-garmin-740s-1870b.jpg

386385d1388869231-furuno-1870f-garmin-740s-1870a.jpg

Back