2310dv tab upgrade

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soshe1

Reaction score
Hello All,

Getting ready to start my much needed tab upgrade. The main goal of project is to be able to plane at lower RPM and hopefully increase fuel economy. After adding a folding tuna tower and creating more drag, my already poor fuel economy at slow speeds has gotten much worse. Anything to increase fuel economy at slower speeds is worth the investment. I've already been working with Ken @ prop-gods trying to get more stern lift out of the prop. Unfortunately the much raved about Rev4 did not work well with my newer 4.2L yami 250. Also looking into a permatrim, and will look more into that after the tab upgrade.

I'm planning on upgrading to a bennett tab, re-using my Lenco Actuators. (Similar to GrouperJim's post).

Looking at going with either: 9" x 24", 9" x 30" or 12" x 18"

Questions on the correct tab to use:

1) My boat is now more top heavy after adding the folding tower and can be a little "tippy" at times depending on the conditions. Does this have any influence on the size tabs I go with?

2) Bennett recommends 8" min clearance from centerline of outdrive to the start of trimtab. If I go with a 9" x 30" tab im very close to the 8" and may even encroach a little more. Any negative effect from this?

3) I have Large 1kw thru-hull transducer with high speed fairing block. Ducer is right in front of where the 24" or 30" tab would mount. does this have any influence on which tab I should go with? Will the water displacement from the ducer effect how the trimtab works?

Also, does anything on the lenco actuator need to be modified to work with the bennet tab?

Thanks,

Josh

Also pulled this from the bennet website

Bennet recommends to use a 12" chord when:

Extra Lift — Slower boats (less than 15 mph), semidisplacement
hulls, boats over 50 feet, outboard
brackets or boats with any other feature that require
the additional lift of a 12" chord. The 12" chord
provides greater surface area, thereby utilizing more
water flow and providing more lift.

Not sure what to go with: 9" or 12" chord

What do you guys think?

If your 2310 is basically the same hull as the 2320 then I know many have gone with the Lenco 12 x 18's Edgemount utilizing the Lenco actuators mounted in the same place and offsetting the tabs. You need to stay with the edgemount style tabs (if that is what you now have) if you are keeping the Lenco actuators. I'm planning on doing this to my 2120 over the winter/early spring. I installed a Permatrim a few months ago and I can't say enough good things about the improvements that it made on my boats performance. I also raised my motor to the top hole the same day so some of my improvements may have been due to that but I can't say exactly which ones for sure due to not testing individually. Mine now planes quicker, flatter, tracks straighter at slow speeds, planes at much slower speeds and doesn't porpose anymore. The ride feels like I now have a boat that is 2' longer. So far I think it has been the best $150ish that I have spent on it. I'm thinking after I do the 12 x 18" tabs it will only get better. Especially the ability to bow down into a good head sea chop at slow plane speed along with a little more stern lift which should increase fuel economy? As for changing to the Bennett tabs but not the Bennett hydrolic actuators and controls etc...? I'm not sure how much difference that will make. I think most folks change to the Bennett system for the hydrolic actuators and their controls. I'm sure one of the other guys can chime in on that one. Good luck with your project.

23 dv 8.5 beam, engine on a bracket use 12x18.

Engine not on a bracket then you can use the recommended distance provided by the trim tab companies. I always center the actuator because that type of stuff is easy for me to do. Others have left the actuator alone which leaves them offset to one side but they report good results.

Speaking of actuators, after I sold my boat I realized a had a NIB Lenco actuator stashed away. Anybody in the Tampa/St Pete area want to stop the house it's yours.

Thanks for the responses. Gonna go with the 12" x 18" tabs. Probably gonna do project in Jan / Feb. Will share new data when complete.

Tight lines!

Josh

Back