2320 and 2520 fuel burn questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsol

Reaction score
Asking if guys could chime in with their fuel burn rates. Please let me know which model Parker and which motor you have. Trying to decide between a 2520 and 2320 to buy so any other opinions would be appreciated.

I have a 2011 2520 XL with a 250, with 3 fisherman, 3/4 tank of fuel, and assorted odds and ends i burn between 10 and 11 gallons an hour cruising at about 24 mph as i recall that is like 4,200 rpms, i try hard to get the fuel burn to 9.9 gallons an hour which is possible when i trim it just right, that is a pretty comfortable cruise in most of the seas i fish, it jumps up pretty quickly to 13 gallons an hour when you push the throttle to 4,500 rpms and 26 or 27 mph, i don't do it much but like 5,200 RPM's and 30 + MPH is like 18 or 19 gpm, it makes me sick to think i'm spending $100 an hour, so like i said i don't do that very much so those higher numbers are not reliable, i only fish 12 miles from my marina so going 24 mph is just fine with me

i wouldn't try to sell anybody on anything but i can say that i really love my 2520, oh man, is it awesome, perfect for me and two guys fishing or me the wife and my 5 yo and 7 yo

HULL: '92 vintage mod-V (14-degree deadrise) 2520, lots of windage with the tuna tower and she weighs in at a hefty 3-tons loaded, less crew and ice.

MOTOR: New suzuki DF250 4-stroke with 4-blade PowerTech 16" diameter wheel.

TRIM TABS: Bennett 9" deep (off hull) by 24" span (width across hull) trim tabs

PERFORMANCE: No less than 2mpg at speeds to 40mph, have seen 3mpg @ cruise 23-28mph, depending highly on the sea state. Note I run a fuel computer with instantaneous fuel efficiency readout. And with the BIG tabs (highly recommended) I can dial in a 10-20% improvement. One day I ran with 3 people aboard and the next day with 9 people aboard, same amount of fuel, same run., same conditions ... and that strong Suzi with that huge 4-bladed prop gave me only 1mph less at both cruise and WOT even with an extra 1/2-ton aboard! Fuel burn was just a tad more, but to the 1st decimal place. No Yamaha 250 motor will do that, and they're not 250 horsepower without running 89 or higher octane fuel anyway ...

DATA: I don't do gallons-per-hour (GPH) as to me it is a USELESS number unless you know the corresponding speed (read value). GPH alone is like saying I drank 3 beers ... well OK, duh ... were they 12-ounce, 16-ounce, or tall boy 22-ounce mugs?

I recently sold my 2007 2320 with a Yamaha 250hp and bought a 2011 2520 XL with a Yamaha 300hp. When propped correctly I"m pretty surprised how similar the fuel burn between the Deep Vee 2320 and Modified V 2520 XL actually are. On the 2320 at 4600 RPM with a load of 4 guys my fuel burn would typically be about 13 GPH speed at that RPM would be 26 - 28mph depending on the sea state. On the 2520 with 3 guys I was able to get 28-30mph 4200 RPM's and fuel burn is 12.7 GPH. Once you get above 4200 RPMs on the 300 she starts to really drink fuel.

From the seat of the pants feel, the Deep V of the 2320 needed more RPM to get up on plane and stay on plane where the the MV 2520 can plane at much slower speed and lower RPM. The 300 Yamaha has much more torque and snap than the 250 so I'm sure that accounts for some of that.

06 2320 yami 250 with 12x24 tabs, perma trim, rev 4 17p prop.
full of fuel and 2 - 3 guys 2.4 mpg 4700 rpm at 29mph in perfect conditions = 1-2 ft wind chop.
If i have to buck 3-5 ft wind waves with a little trim then 18 -22 mph at 2 - 2.2 mpg rpm doesn't seem to matter.

worst case - If its like my last tuna trip out of Westport, WA end of September and I have 600lbs of ice, all the tuna gear, full 65 gallon bait tank, full tank of fuel, 3 guys and i am in a 5 ft swell at 12 seconds with 1-3 ft wind waves I started at 2 mpg at 22mph and conditions gradually deteriorated to 5 and 10 with 3 to 5 ft wind waves by the time i was 50 miles out at which point i had tabs and motor trimmed most of the way down doing 16 mph at 1.5 or 1.6 mpg and boat is still planing and the ride was comfortable. Did 186 miles round trip some of that trolling and burned 95 gallons

QwikSticks":21067tnl said:
planing and the ride was comfortable. Did 186 miles round trip some of that trolling and burned 95 gallons

That must have been a very long day, hope you found some long fins in those miles.

Thanks everyone!!!

I really appreciate it. What a difference from my 28 trophy that burns nearly 20 gph. I especially appreciate quiks comments as I am in Washington state. Mostly Puget sound/straights fishing.

Keep em coming, tell me how much you love your boat.

Stacy it was a looong day that we pushed until almost dark hoping for that late afternoon bite with 1 fish to show for our efforts. Only saw 4 other boats out there and i knew 3 of them - everyone had a tough day.

jsol the 2320 is an awesome boat that fishes like a much bigger boat since its a true 23 which probably compares to 25-26 ft of the other brands that the marketing dept adds anchor pulpits and euro transoms into the length which is most. It takes up of every inch of a 30ft slip. Ride is great if you dont push it to fast in rough conditions. I am ussually not any slower than the other boats going out.

1st? Dale what type of fuel computer, 2nd? where do you buy just the larger tab plates. I have a 2011 2320sl with factory installed Lenco plates.

where do you buy just the larger tab plates.

Think about the position that the ram is mounted at on the boat. Tab's have the ram in the center of them. So a wider tab would tend to call for moving the ram and redrilling. Then filling holes from where it was mounted before.

Back