2320 w/225 yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duct Man

Reaction score
I think I am having a problem and looking for someone who will listen!! My engine WILL NOT REV ABOVE 5000 RPM'S!!! And yes it was trimmed up down and in the middle doesn't matter. Parker performance data and other owners have all said it should rev between 5800 to 6000 RPM'S. I have taken to two different places and everyone keeps saying change the prop but if Parker and other 2320's will rev this high Why wont mine? The last yamaha dealer said they put it on the computer and it even shows the motor has never been above 5000 rpms and they want to charge me severval hundred to water test because there is not codes. Do they not stand behind manufactures and there data? Anyways I love the boat not so sure about the motor just want it running right so no worries or at least one less when i am offshore. Is there a dealer in the Ocean City, MD. area that is willing to fix the problem instead selling me a prop?

What size is the prop??

Comparing to what other guys are running on that boat would be a good start.

grouperjim posted some info at the top of the power section on props he tested.

Get the pitch and diameter of the prop that you are currently running and post up.

The sad fact is you do need the correct prop. NO BOAT alive, regardless of brand boat or motor EVER lives up to the claims made by the engine manufacturer. Once you load it down with gear and paint the bottom - forget it. Those tests are nothing but 'ideal' conditions and do not reflect the actual use of YOUR rig.

Another thing, OBs are rated to + or - 10% of the HP label. If that is a 4-stroke Yam 225 you have, they have never been a barn burner and are lucky to put out 225 ponies. You could have one on the low side that is still legal to sell - you just need to pitch it properly.

I'd also raise the OB as high as you can, prop dependant of course. FORGET about Mfg'rs claim and correct your rig. The long life of the motor depends on it.

Prop match's Parker info. which I believe was 14.5x19. Maybe i am reading to much into this but I thought almost 1000rpms was enough of a difference to be concerned. When you raise the motor is there a lifting point on top under cowling as I had ask the dealer it is setting at now and they would not do it for me. One other thing that might be of interest or could be nothing is from 3/4 throttle to wot there is no proformance difference like to old quadrajets on a chevrolet alot of sucking air but RPM'S and speed stay the same.

I would think that with the 23 and a 225 you may be able to spin a 19 but chances are the 18 or 17 pitch would be better. IF you have a local prop shop take it there and have them take some cup out so you are at 17 or 18. Shouldnt cost more than 30-45 bucks. They can usually go up or down 2 pitch sizes. Alot has to do with the weight of the boat how much crap you have on it and trim. I know you said you trim it up but my boat wont turn more than 5200 unless i trim the crap out of the motors. Trim that thing at wot until you start to cavitate then drop then back in a little. Make sure your trim tabs arent deployed either. BUt if you have the 19s i think you might be over propped unless you like to fish alone with a small amount of fuel.

My 2003 2320DVSC noched with the F225 spins a factory 14.5X19 and at wot usually turns 5800 depends on conditions but 5600-5800 and top end is about 40. She doesn't jump on plane but once up she does very good. Shoudn't be too much different than mine. I have no idea what holes the motor are in though.

i wasnt meaning 19t or 19s it was more 19 plural. It depends on the diameter and kind of wheel. Do you have bottom paint? bunch of stuff make a difference. I know Grouperjims running an 18 on his 23 with 250 so thats why i was thinking 19 might be a bit much.

I have the 2320, bracket, and 225 4stroke. I have a 17" prop and RPMs is 6,000-6,100. I guess the trade off is top speed, which is only in the low 30s.

Bottom paint... amount of bottom growth... temp of the water... state of the water... amount of weight (carriage) all has an effect.

My feeling is that a 17p prop might get you where you want to be, but you need to find a prop shop that will work with you on this.

I have a Mirage 17p on my 2520 MVSC and she runs 34 kts at 5100 rpm... heavy, just to give you a comparison.

'Prop magic' is a black art, but you can dial it in with a little effort.
Good luck!

Prop might be your problem or you might have a high rpm fuel shortage.

A fuel shortage could be caused by partially clogged filters, incorrect fuel line diameter or a high pressure fuel pump that is not outputting the correct amount of fuel.

Does it go up over 5k and then drop back under 5k by itself? Or break up, stutter or surge at WOT?

You could also just need a throttle adjustment as you may not be at WOT when you put the hammer down.

Do you run ring free? It added 300 rpms at WOT for me and I use it regularly now.

i have a 2008 2320 225hp and was doing a lot of investigating on prop's should be a 17 pitch, but if u run with a lot of weight u can have the prop shaved down to a 16 to reach 6000 rpm.

2007 2320 F250 Rev4 17 pitch

Load it down with ice, full baitwell, gear and family. Planes with no problem, engine runs smooth and quiet.

Between work and the weather when I can get back to the boat Parker recomended checking throttle linkage for proper travel and adjustment Other than that I guess I will change the prop to get better performance sounds like most are getting Good performance from the rev4.

How are you raising the motor i seen the slots so you dont have to completly unbolt but what is a safe(To the motor) way of lifting ? Wood block and jack under lower unit or does it need to be lifted from above?

Back