25' with a diesel......questions....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaleH":1cntb4fv said:
Comparable equipped boats realize 15% better efficiency with the duo-prop. Bigger HP with large wheel would be good, though usually limited on I/O applications.

one of the worst things you can do to a marine diesel is NOT run it.

like dale said, low compression diesels should get 10k hours +

detroit 71 series motors were common to go 20-30k hours between rebuilds, more if naturally aspirated.

even modern high compression diesels are reliable - but must be run and used regularly. My work truck with a series 60 has 540k miles and 16,000 horus on original engine (no rebuild) and doesnt smoke or burn oil.

previous advice is big: bring a marine diesel mechanic with you. preferrably one who knows volvos.

AkJohn":2wlvxma8 said:
so how hard is it to access that area from underneath to thru-bolt a rail?
I presume thru-bolts would be the proper method of mounting?
John:

The newer Parker rails use a single 3/8" bolt from below and up thru the washboards into the downtubes of the rails. Access isn't bad at all, with variety of socket tools if needed, or slower going with a box wrench. LUBE those bolts up well with LokTite, or grease & lock washers, which will ease the assembly.

If I were YOU and going to buy a new rail formy Parker, I 'd get the optional 'West Coast' TALLER front bowrail. A std one cost me $1100 about 4-years ago. Biggest KILLER will be shipping ... I got mine shipped for 'free', but had to wait until a Parker boat was delivered to my local dealer, as it was wrapped and packaged into the cockpit, just "along for the ride" :) .

You might not have that option to Alaska :( .

Back