2520 Horse Power Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishenmission

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1993 2520 and it has twin 2-stroke '93 yamahas 200 hp mounted on a bracket, I've never run this boat yet. I'm concerned about the gas consumption, I fish on the north shore of Long Island sound no ocean runs planned. My question is could a single 225 or 250 4-stroke be able and saftely power this boat???? I feel nows the time to re-power since both engines need to have the carbs over hauled.

Your thoughts

isnt a carb overhaul maybe 500 per carb? If so then i dont think it matters how much gas you burn it wont make up the price difference. Plus it will be nice to know you have 2 motors if one does break down even if youre only going a few miles. Then even better because you can get back by yourself and it wont take hours. However, if you want to get a new motor a single 300 etec or 300 suzuki would be my choice for the torque it would create. Not that I dislike Yamaha but the new motors arent coming out for a little while and IMO not proven since its a new product. Plus they will obviously come with a price premium since they are new. Suzukis are known for swinging large diameter props which is what you would want for your heavy Parker.

actually the carbs cost $120 per engine 40.00 per carb. and the boat is a deep vee. I'm concerned about the gas consumtion

FishFactory":3s4nilif said:
fishenmission":3s4nilif said:
per . I'm concerned about the gas consumtion

IMO, you will never pay for new 4 stroke Yamahas with gas savings. Before you shell out for "carb overhauls", try a heavy dose of WalMart "fuel injection cleaner". Worked for me.

True; but besides saving on fuel costs I think the overall benefit of a 4stroke may be worth it. Quiet, cleaner (for you and for the environment), no filling oil reservoirs, longer range, better re-sale value, etc.

I am by no means a "go green" advocate but some of our older engines are absolutely killing our environment....as are a lot of other things in the world....

Well if you want 4 strokes and have 12-25k to burn then a big single 300 or twin 150s would be the ticket. In all reality you are going to get roughly 2.0 mpg with twin 150s or a little less depending on conditions and load. so figure out what you are burning now. Not arguing for either side I have twin 225 4 strokes. But what youre wanting to do aint cheap. And if you arent constantly having issues with the motors and there isnt anything major wrong with them where its a several thousand dollar fix leave em.

BradV":m1mam3l4 said:
isnt a carb overhaul maybe 500 per carb?
Yam carbs are EASY if you have the factory OEM service manual. I'd contact Andy (SIM) @ http://www.shipyardisland.com/ and tell him I sent you.

Yam carb kits are pricey, and at 6 per motor, it would add up. Personally, I'd Seafoam them before any carb rebuilds. I'd opine that rig @ comfortable cruise of 3500 to 4000 RPMs would be 1.2 to 1.6 mpg.

If it were me, I'd overhaul what you have and get them running well for at least a season. Work out any bugs in the boat and her systems, and get comfortable with her.

After that, decide on what you really want to do. If you decide to re-power, having a nice running pair of 200 two-strokes would be money in your pocket, and smiles to the person who buys them. :wink:

There are still a lot of folks out there who love their two-strokes, and are willing to buy a pair of nice running ones.

By this time next year, the new Yamahas will be out, and you'll have options!

Good luck with whatever you do.

I agree i wouldn't repower a boat if you have never even used it. I think the idea of twins is alot safer than a single engine. also i wouldn't be too concerned with saving gas because boats are just not good on gas like cars. but if you are dead set on a repower then i would check out the evinrude etecs because the are great motors and also are very quiet. they are really good on emissions too.

thanks for all your advise,

I read one reply about Wal-Mart fule injector cleaner, are you saying to spray the carbs or disasmble them then clean?

Seaform what is that? I've never heard of it. Should I remove the carbs and let them soak for a couple of days in this stuff????

I love hearing from you sounds like good aadvise and money saver!

FWIW..This E-10 fuel is really hard on Carburated engines.. My brother had problems using it after it was forced on us.. He began using Startron every fill up and his problems went away. I also use Startron in my injected engine.

FishFactory":3iz3v4u0 said:
fishenmission":3iz3v4u0 said:
per . I'm concerned about the gas consumtion

IMO, you will never pay for new 4 stroke Yamahas with gas savings. Before you shell out for "carb overhauls", try a heavy dose of WalMart "fuel injection cleaner". Worked for me.

Do the math...how long will it take you to recover the cost of a new motor based on the improved gas mileage. I suspect you will grow old, get too feeble to fish, sell the boat, and your kids will be pasting your obit into their scrapbooks before you even get close.

Dave

aka

Back