2520 questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daydreamer

Reaction score
I am thinking about moving up from my 2310 to a 25' parker and was wondering how the 2520 is to drift fish. Where I fish there can be others that are doing the same so it is always important to be able to see what is going on in front of the boat. I also fish around pilings so keeping an eye out is critical at times while you are fishing in the back. I know you can order the second station to be able to control the boat while fishing in the back but how hard is it to see around the pilot house. I would look to move to a center console but I like the storage that a w/a or pilot house give me and we fish up until the end of december so it is nice to get out of the wind.

A pilot house will obscure your sight more than a W/A.

With the emphasis that you are giving on this the CC will be easiest, but it has other problems.....Like protection from the elements

I've been fishing my 2520 for 14 years now. Much of my early season fishing is spent fluking in the back, some pretty skinny water where the channels are narrow and there are ALOT of boats, buoys and sod banks . Believe me when I say, you will need eyes in the back of your head. I'm 6'2" and still can't look over the pilot house roof to see what or who is in front of me as we drift. I am always ducking down and scoping out the windshield from the cockpit while drifting, but there are still many blind spots. I miss a CC in these instances (very much so) but once that "season" is over, I have no other complaints. For the rest of the season, having that pilothouse rocks.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. With th W/A you can see through most times and the crowed drift fishing does not creat a big issue. Sounds like the pilothouse will be harder to see that the drift is ok.

My boat is probably not a good comparison, as most of the 2520's have a rear bulkhead and a door.
That alone makes sight lines a bit more difficult.

When I am drift fishing, I have found that my boat likes to drift stern to the wind.
Also, when I am drifting in open water, I do so with the motor off.
The only time I drift with the motor running is in current and around rocks or bridge pilings.

Having the rear station is a huge asset.
My boat did not have one when I bought it, and it was added later.
Because of that, I opted to slide the rear station further aft than what the factory rigs their rear stations.
That allows me to sit on the washboard and drive in the 6kt zones, or while trolling.
I also reversed the controls from the way the factory rigs them. I prefer it that way.

I'm posting two photos here.
The first is my cockpit with the drop curtains in the up position. Visibility is pretty good.
The next photo is with my 2520 MVSC on the left, with a 2520XL on the right.

My boat is an older model hull with a 14 degree deadrise. The XL hull is the current 16 degree deadrise hull.
Also notice that the XL is sporting a factory rear station.
My boat is the 'low rider', but I do like the lower freeboard for fishing.

Honestly, I'm fine with the visibility on my boat, but if I do run someplace like in Ego Alley, I drive from the forward helm.
Everywhere else, I relax on the starboard washboard and enjoy the day.

Docking... especially starboard to, is *much* simpler from the rear station.

Attachments

• Cockpit1.jpg
    Cockpit1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 448
  • Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 448
Thanks Capt Kevin. Did you order your boat with the open back or did you have the work done after purchase? If you ordered it that way do you know if the factory still makes the boats this way? I have a 2010 2310 that I have owned since new but I am looking to move to a larger boat. The dealers in our area (Richmond VA) have a very limited supply so it is hard to get a feel for the different parkers. I was on a 2520 last year and I liked the room but it was a charter so I did not have to worry about the boat. I am planning on taking the family up to the frederick MSSA fishing show this weekend and I understand a parker dealer will be there. I hope to get some information from them as to the options to make the boat more drifting friendly. My other option is a 2510 which seems to be much harder to find in Richmond. Maybe that is a better option. I undertand that there is a long wait time for boats to be built by parker. I think it is already backed up to May and we have not got into the boat show season.

Daydreamer":2g9r9eek said:
Thanks Capt Kevin. Did you order your boat with the open back or did you have the work done after purchase? If you ordered it that way do you know if the factory still makes the boats this way? I have a 2010 2310 that I have owned since new but I am looking to move to a larger boat. The dealers in our area (Richmond VA) have a very limited supply so it is hard to get a feel for the different parkers. I was on a 2520 last year and I liked the room but it was a charter so I did not have to worry about the boat. I am planning on taking the family up to the frederick MSSA fishing show this weekend and I understand a parker dealer will be there. I hope to get some information from them as to the options to make the boat more drifting friendly. My other option is a 2510 which seems to be much harder to find in Richmond. Maybe that is a better option. I undertand that there is a long wait time for boats to be built by parker. I think it is already backed up to May and we have not got into the boat show season.

My boat came with the open back option from the factory. I'm the second owner, and I bought it in 2003.
The original owner bought it from a dealer in Delaware who is no longer a Parker dealer.
Of the three 25' models, the 2520's appear to be the most popular, if you go by the number of owners here on CP.

The open back is a no-cost option if you order one, but several people here have removed or modified their rear bulkhead.
According to the factory, it can be done because the rear bulkhead is not a structural component, though wielding a sawsall is not for the weak of heart.

The dealer who with be at the Frederick MSSA show will most likely be Tri-State Marine out of Deale.
Ask for Ron Young, aka 'BoatRon'. He sometimes drops in here on the forums.
Good luck at the show!

Back