2520 XL & XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTR

Reaction score
I am looking at the 2520 xl & xld and I have a few questions for anyone with experience on a 2520 xl and xld. Any and all information would be appreciated. I would use the boat mainly in the Florida Northern Gulf of Mexico.

How much steering control do you have with twin outboards as compared to twin inboards?

Is there a big difference in the ride between the xl and xld?

Will the boat get on plane with one engine?

Any problems with either boat (handling, visibility, layout, etc.)?

What is the draft with the engines down (xl & xld)?

How well do the twin 150's move the boat?

Would you choose a different motor over the 150?

When and if I need to, I will repower with 200s, never been on the XLD, my boat is great, we use alot, no complaints at all :)

I have the XL and a single 250 4 stroker.
Great boat for So Cal. I was worried the ModV would pound but rides been great. Great economy too.
Wish I had the 2nd steering outside the cabin.

I have a 25xld. Power is good overall. When docking I tend not use the wheel but the engines instead. Pretty hard current where i dock on inside slip with very little room to screw up. Use the throttles and presto. It is certainly different then twin inboards, but there is enough space between the units to give turning radius using only throttles.

If you can get this boat to plane with 1 engine you would have to be low on fuel and alone. I don't see it happening.

Yes, big difference in ride. I am sure someone will disagree, but offshore I would only go XLD.

As far as the motors go i can top out at around 44-45mph pretty well loaded. I don't see any reason for twin 200's considering the extra weight.

When we go offshore we usually fish between 30 - 40 miles out. I was wondering about the xld and excessive tipping / rocking compared to the xl. The boat will also perform a lot of family trips (near shore, island hopping, scalloping, etc.).

Thanks for the help.

1. You can definitely control the boat with the engines, but I don’t know how it compares to inboards.
2. From what I’ve heard, the XL is really more suited for inland waters and pounds in swells. I know I can put the bow down on my XLD and it really smoothes out the ride.
3. I have twin F-150’s and there is no way it will get on a plane with one engine. The props are set up for twin engine operation and you would be lugging the engine terribly if you could manage to do it even with bigger engines.
4. Visibility, I had to get used to being in the pilothouse. After I became comfortable in the pilothouse, I am very pleased with it.
5. Draft, no idea and since I use mine in the ocean and offshore it’s not a concern.
6. My 2520 DVSC does over 40 MPH and is faster and has more acceleration then all my friends similar boats with inboards. I can’t imagine myself wanting or needing any more HP. I have a notch transom, and I’m not sure how the notch transom or having the engines on a bracket affects the situation.

Good luck, and the fact that the boat has a 9 ½ foot beam, makes it very stable. I’ve had 3 guys leaning over the side while pulling lobster nets and I never even give it a thought.

I have a 2007 2520sl, which I believe is the same hull as the xl but without the bracket. With a single f250 I can do 41mph and I also cruise +/- 30mph at 2.4mpg. I am very happy with the hull and if it gets snotty I use the tabs to keep the bow down and I have no issues. For me, the boat is very economical, perfect for Catalina trips and I go offshore quite often. I always check the weather and never go if it's going to be snotty. Maintinence is cheaper on one motor not to mention the price I paid for the boat. It's a trade off, also the 16 degree hull is very stable. I have not been on the 21 degree so I can't compare, but I am very happy with my choice- for what that's worth. I only wish I had more power when the boat is loaded down with gas, bait tank, gear and more than 4 people. Also, it jumps onto plane quickly, I actually never use the tabs unless it's a bumpy or I need to balance the load.

Brian S":6b4hn63a said:
I have a 2007 2520sl, which I believe is the same hull as the xl but without the bracket.
I have not been on the 21 degree so I can't compare, but I am very happy with my choice- for what that's worth.

I think the SL was a 23' DV? The 2520 is either a mod v (XL) or a DV (XLD). The are both referred to as sport cabins which is why you see them described as 2520scxl or 2520 scxld.

If you have a single 250, you either have the 2520 mod v or the 23 dv.

I don't think the bracket comes into play in either case.

In any case, I have the 25 ModV and wish I had the DV ride with the MV economy and stability at anchor.

John_Madison CT":1wa2jpzh said:
The XLD (21 degree deadrise) will ride much better than the XL (16 degree deadrise)

The XL (16 degree deadrise) will be more stable at anchor and on a drift than the XLD (21 degree deadrise).

The 2520 comes in an SL. I have the SL (16 degree). I believe the SL is "Standard Length (pilothouse)" and the XL is "eXtended Length)". The SL is a notch transom while the XL is a bracket.

I honestly don't know who started the myth that the DV (21 degree deadrise) Parkers are bad on the drift or at anchor.

This simply isn't true. Remember, there are boats out there with much steeper deadrises.....(i.e. Regulators are 24 degrees)

IMHO, the DV is an excellent blend of ride and drift/anchor characteristics.

John_Madison CT":1ukkei7k said:
I honestly don't know who started the myth that the DV (21 degree deadrise) Parkers are bad on the drift or at anchor.

This simply isn't true. Remember, there are boats out there with much steeper deadrises.....(i.e. Regulators are 24 degrees)

IMHO, the DV is an excellent blend of ride and drift/anchor characteristics.

Just to be clear, didn't state the DV was bad on drift/anchor. In fact I've been on both boats, and the DV Parker is a very stable platform. Just stating that a 16 degree hull will be more stable than a 21 degree hull.

Bottom line, which has been said many times before it comes down to compromise.

channel_surfer":hwma908e said:
The 2520 comes in an SL. I have the SL (16 degree). I believe the SL is "Standard Length (pilothouse)" and the XL is "eXtended Length)". The SL is a notch transom while the XL is a bracket.

They made an SL in 2007?

TheOtherLine":1lkganqt said:
channel_surfer":1lkganqt said:

They made an SL in 2007?

Yup, I own one. They still make it but isn't included on Parkers web site.

channel_surfer":1qckbhay said:

Both hulls and pilot houses are allmost the same length 6" difference. SL Pilot House is 53"L, 73"W, 76" Headroom, XL Pilot House Is 59"L, 82"W, 76" Headroom. The 2530 has the extended length pilot house by 30" over the 2520XL. The major difference is the notched transom (SL) or bracket (XL). I picked the SL because I like the open feel of the notched transom and frequently land fish over the transom when trolling. I also do not like the brackets because of the extra weight of the fish box and extended length of the boat (stem to prop). Many have mentioned using trim tabs to plane with the XL. I do not use trim tabs unless it is rough and want to plow as the factory tabs are more than sufficient on this design. I also like the extra room where the transom box is in a XL. The SL is easier to dock in a slip as it is virtually shorter. I have driven both and the SL was the one for me. No looking back.

the XL is for the extra cabin,and with the extra cabin it also has 2 extra seat's.i fish in the gulf and in a real tight chop 3-4's if you try and run over 20 MPH it will pound a bit.i just bury the tab's and keep it around 20 MPH and it is a decent ride for me and my broke neck.

Attachments

• horseshoe2 025.JPG
    horseshoe2 025.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,926
Back