2530 Real World Fuel Consuption and Range

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otolith

Reaction score
I feel guilty of betrayal just by asking this question but I was at West Coast Marine, the local Parker dealership and had to wait an hour for UPS to deliver a part. Guess what I did during the wait?

So my question is, what is the real world fuel consumption and range of a 2530 with two Yamaha 200s?

Is there anyone on this forum who has this configuration and give me an honest, real world expectation?

Fuel capacity on the new 2530 is listed at 156, significantly less than the 2520XLD @ 179. I thought the capacity reduction was to keep the cabin from atop the fuel tank but the 2520XL is also 156 gallons. I assume there's a perfectly logical explanation but I don't get it. What's up with the reduced fuel capacity?

Also, since we're on the subject, how does the 2530 perform with two 200s? I have two 250s on my half of a 2820 and it certainly doesn't lack for power. It does drink fuel like crazy!

Mine is setup like that, hold 174 fuel and runs 16-18 gph at cruise depending on trim and sea conditions.

Tops out at 40 knts but sucks it down at that speed.

Its for sale, would be great in Baja. :mrgreen:

Thanks Bryan,

16 - 18 gph @ cruise, what kind of speeds at this consumption range?

Tops out at 40? That seems low to me. my 2820 with two 250s does considerably more. I would have thought the 25 with 200s would be more comparable.

Actually, from my point of view, it wouldn't be great in Baja. I think it's too wide for trailering. It "may" be great for my use in CA. I have an older 2520 in CA, which I love. I was at the Parker dealership the other day and had a chance to look at the new 2530 up close and personal. Very nice. I used to spend three or four days a week, filming underwater. My boat worked out real well for me but I was younger then. That 2530 does have a certain appeal.

How's the ride? Have you had it out in rough seas?

What is the year of your boat? Hours?

BTW, this is my idea of a great boat for Baja. This is my 2300CC.

Attachments

• 23_01.jpg
    23_01.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 263
Otolith wrote - "" Fuel capacity on the new 2530 is listed at 156, significantly less than the 2520XLD @ 179. I thought the capacity reduction was to keep the cabin from atop the fuel tank but the 2520XL is also 156 gallons. I assume there's a perfectly logical explanation but I don't get it. What's up with the reduced fuel capacity? ""

Otolith - I will try to explain this as I recall a conversation from my plant tour a few months ago. My facts may not be exactly correct, but should at least put you in the right direction. Anyway, we were looking at a 2120 mold and I asked why they had reduced the tank capacity from 100 gal to 90. The answer had something to do with baffling and new EPA regulations designed to prevent overflow into the water. He told me that the tank was actually physically exactly the same size. He mentioned other models that this was true for as well but I don't remember which ones. It might be all of them? I'm sure someone else here may be able to add to this?

Oh that's just perfect! The EPA!

Weren't they the ones behind forced ethanol? Has there ever been anything practically or environmentally worse than ethanol?

otolith":16pcok6q said:
Oh that's just perfect! The EPA!

Weren't they the ones behind forced ethanol? Has there ever been anything practically or environmentally worse than ethanol?

I agree, ethanol has been a disaster across the board.

This brings up a good question. I think I'll create a new post to ask about ethanol and outboards.

I don't worry about it with my 2300CC / Yamaha 250, because I buy fuel in Baja, where they won't allow ethanol!

I only purchase marina gas for mine. Here, it's always 89 octane and ethanol free. I keep my boat in a storage yard on a trailer and could make a slight detour to a gas station on the way to the ramp, but I refuse to put ethanol gas in it. It's tempting sometimes though as I could probably save close to $1 a gallon.

Otolith, unrelated but many years ago I had a long distance with a girl from Hermosa Beach and we took a weekend trip to a place called Rosaritta Beach Hotel down in Baja somewhere. It was a somewhat small place as I remember it. This was about 25 years ago. Have you ever heard of it?

shawnee83

Rosaritto Beach, sure I know of it. I pass it all the time, it's just south of the boarder. Just south of, although it's now connected to, TJ.

That's interesting you guys get non-ethanol at your docks. I don't think it's available here in The People's Republic Of California but now that you've brought it up, I'll have to check and see.

I don't care what anyone says, ethanol is not about environmental issues, it's about greased palms in congress. Ethanol is a much worse environmental issue than most people are aware of. For one thing, there is no place to legally dump bad ethanol gas. At least not here, "that I know of". I know a lot of people who deal with small engines, boat engines, motorcycles etc. They're ALL dumping that stuff anywhere they can.

The small engine and marine guys here are in the same boat. The marinas here wouldn't sell any gas if people heard they had ethanol gas. Of course, it's actually been good for them to have the non ethanol as now even people like me who could easily buy at a regular gas station go out of there way to use marina ethanol free fuel. Over the few winter months that I don't run mine I still highly treat my fuel with Sta-bil stabilizer and some Dry Gas just to make sure I don't have any issues. Luckily, I only don't run roughly for Jan, Feb and maybe a little of March. The advantages of a Sport Cabin and reasonable climate. :D

I HOPE the marinas here sell non-ethanol gas. I'll certainly have to figure this out before buying a twin four stroke set up. If the marinas don't sell non-ethanol gas, my only other option would be racing fuel or Avgas.

I posted a question on the subject, as a separate thread. Dale replied and said "buy only what you need store your boat with empty tanks".

When I stepped into half ownership of the 28, the first thing I had to do was deal with two year old gas. I didn't even risk trying to start the engines, I just started dumping fuel. It took a lot of work to drain the tanks. Both pumps were bad from sitting the entire time with the engines up.

Yeah, now that I'm thinking about fuel issues, I don't know if twin four strokes is such a good idea.

Both the 28 and my 2300CC are in Baja. My 2520 diesel is here in CA. I've dodged the ethanol issue. I'm going to have really look into this.

I'm sure I'm wrong according to expert opinion, but here in NC and since I only have 2 to 3 months out of the year that I don't run mine, I've always run my tanks very low but not empty. Even on my old 2 stroke cc I did this. That last few gallons of fuel though, I highly treated it with regular stabilizer and or stabilizer for ethanol and usually a large dose of SeaFoam treatment. I made sure that I ran some of that treated fuel thru the engine, especially the 2 stroke with carbs. I've never had a problem firing right up in the spring. I would put a limited amount (like 5 to 10 gallons)of fresh fuel in the tank in the spring to mix with the old treated gas and I would run it again as low as possible right away. Then I would change out the fuel/water separator filter and sometimes the engine fuel filter also. After that, they were good to go. I never liked the idea of injectors/fuel pumps and carbs sitting empty. I thought the drying out of gaskets, floats, diaphragms etc from being dry was worse for them? Like I said, I'm sure the experts out there would disagree. I do think that if you live in colder climates where you wrap them up and are down for 6+ months, this strategy may not work so well. I would think since you are in CA and Baja, you don't have that many down months either for your boats?

Down time is considerable. I have a boat / boats in Baja and I have a boat in CA. It's about six months of each, which means a potential six month down time.

Back