30 amp inlet install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzumi

Reaction score
Need to install an inlet on my 2520 so I can power an onboard battery charger while the boat is in the slip.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding product recommendations, location, etc. For instance, it looks like there is the Marinco stainless steel inlet or a square white inlet. Which do you recommend? And how about some of those proprietary locking ones with names like Smartplug or EEL?

Also am I right that I would have the inlet feed into a distribution/breaker panel and then the breaker runs to my charger? Which panel/breaker do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all advice!

John

Edit: I'll be hiring a marine electrician to do the install. I'll line up the items, though.

Need to install an inlet on my 2520 so I can power an onboard battery charger while the boat is in the slip.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding product recommendations, location, etc. For instance, it looks like there is the Marinco stainless steel inlet or a square white inlet. Which do you recommend? And how about some of those proprietary locking ones with names like Smartplug or EEL?

Also am I right that I would have the inlet feed into a distribution/breaker panel and then the breaker runs to my charger? Which panel/breaker do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all advice!

John

Edit: I'll be hiring a marine electrician to do the install. I'll line up the items, though.
Hi jzumi, I'd steer clear of the white plastic ones; they are not very durable. I've had Marinco and Hubbell on past boats, and of the two I'd recommend the Hubbell. I've not owned the Smart-Plug or EEL (Warthog is likely an expert in the newer high-tech stuff). The Marico relies on plastic threads for the protective cap; I've had those strip out, and had to replace the entire unit; very expensive!... The Hubble was more durable. You see the S/S threads here? The Marinco threads were plastic. I POSTED THE WRONG PICTURE OF THE HUBBELL INLET; The inlet on the boat has 'male' prongs, like shown in the Marinco picture, But it still shows the threads, which is mainly what I was talking about.
1660925205842.png1660925354780.png

Last edited:
Are you just planning on installing a charger? If so, your easiest option would be to install a pre-wired charger with a standard 120v extension cord plug. These are designed specifically to be plugged into a standard house outlet.

Otherwise, you’re going to need to install an entire 120v shore power system to be in compliance with ABYC requirements. Significantly more difficult, expensive, and unnecessary if the only thing you’re trying to do is power a battery charger.

I use ProMariner ProSport chargers, which have worked out great for me.

Take a look at Smart Plug for the inlet power on the boat. I highly recommend it. The typical plug setups have some issues with poor connection and are a major source of causing a fire. I would also have the electrician install a galvanic isolator. Additionally all your metal parts in the water should be bonded, ie. raw water intake. Once you connect to shore power you are inadvertently connected via grounding to everyone around you. If anyone has issues with their boat and you are essentially creating a low current between boats and it causes excessive corrosion on the metal parts in the water. The galvanic isolator breaks the connection and helps prevent the issue.

Take a look at Smart Plug for the inlet power on the boat. I highly recommend it. The typical plug setups have some issues with poor connection and are a major source of causing a fire. I would also have the electrician install a galvanic isolator. Additionally all your metal parts in the water should be bonded, ie. raw water intake. Once you connect to shore power you are inadvertently connected via grounding to everyone around you. If anyone has issues with their boat and you are essentially creating a low current between boats and it causes excessive corrosion on the metal parts in the water. The galvanic isolator breaks the connection and helps prevent the issue.

All very true and precisely why I’m advocating using a pre-wired charger in this case. Adding a compliant shore power system I’m probably more headache than it’s worth for just a battery charger.

Back