'89 25 pilothouse Out with the old, in with the new!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowdog

Reaction score
The project begins. Soft spots in the deck was what made the decision to begin the project but a cosmetic overhaul was a long time needed. This is the first time I have tried to tackle a boat/fiberglass project so any insight from pioneers before me would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN0528.JPG
    DSCN0528.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0529.JPG
    DSCN0529.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0537.JPG
    DSCN0537.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0538.JPG
    DSCN0538.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0535.JPG
    DSCN0535.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0536.JPG
    DSCN0536.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 866
Just some more pics of the start of the project.

Attachments

• DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 863
  • DSCN0534.JPG
    DSCN0534.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 863
  • DSCN0533.JPG
    DSCN0533.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 863
  • DSCN0530.JPG
    DSCN0530.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 863
  • DSCN0532.JPG
    DSCN0532.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 863
Yikes!! :shock: well you are into it now!! good luck, looking forward to watching your progress!

Were those crank out windows installed on the boat???

If so we need pics of that!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good project....Lot's of folks would be scared. Not me. :)

I recommend you get that tank out now. Inspect it....I suspect you will be due for a new one. A new one would get a custom vent treatment that I have learned and would get the fill on the same side as the trucks fill...[Port side] or in the case of mine if it happens it will have dual fills on each side.

New 3/16in tank will get cleaned, sanded and Coal Tar epoxied.

This is a sample....Tank goes in a 202 Backcountry '01 model.

100_4007.jpg

100_4009.jpg

100_4010.jpg

100_4050.jpg

She is rough, but those hulls are bulletproof, so all you need is time and patience.
Why anyone would install Andersen windows in that boat is beyond me. :shock:

Looks like a good opportunity to re-window her with Diamond Sea Glass.

The hull will clean up easily with Simple Green, and bleach.
The brown stains are easily removed with Mary Kates On-and-Off.
The name, if painted on, can be removed with Easy-Off oven cleaner.
Wet sand, buff and polish, and she will look like new.

Bobby can help with the glass work. That is beyond my skill set. :)
Good luck, take LOTS of photos, and keep up with the project posts here.
We LOVE this stuff.

I would configure it back and get the 3in radius in the corners.

I'd need some cleaned up...close up shots to give more info, but off the top of my head I'd use some waxed sheet alum and screw it up there from the inside. Then do your layup from the outside.

I don't know if it has a core in it or not...Thats why I need close pix's.

While the Sea Glaze may be a higher quality product? I like the Black frames MUCH better. It makes a authoritative statement.

warthog5":392fad3s said:
While the Sea Glaze may be a higher quality product? I like the Black frames MUCH better. It makes a authoritative statement.

I think the black ones are still available.
Wynn Industries, if my spelling is correct.

I like the Wynn windows better myself, I like the black trim and they are much bigger. What I don't like is how they open, I wish they would open out more, where mine end up when they are fully open they are right in my line of sight. I have found a way to get them to open wider but I have not tackled that project yet.

And yes you can still get the Wynn windows and all the hardware. Customer service there is VERY helpful

I actually have all the correct original windows that were in the pilothouse and they are not in bad shape. A few of the frames have some surface corrosion on them but no bad pitting. I am a long way from being worried about windows but I appreciate ideas. My work boat is a 1991 2520DV and I am looking to put opening front windows in that so I the chat is good reading. Thanks for the ideas My next project is to pull off the pilothouse. I have the local marina going to pull it off with a lift and set it down on a trailer. I will post picks as it is being done. Hopefully this weekend.

I know your in NJ., But I still think this should apply.

Front opening windows are not a option......They are a Necessity!

As ugly as they were, it was nice to have the windows able to be opened. However, I am on my work Parker so much that does not have opening windows, I am just not used to having that luxury. Most of the time when I am working in the bay I would not want to open them anyway due to the green-head flies. I have a long way before I need to make that decision. I probably will end up putting in opening windows though. I am still trying to get everything gutted out of the hull. That is a job itself. Tough working on the Parker when the stripers are beginning to run and my 20' Mako CC is in the water ready to go. Good thing I can fit the hull and pilothouse in the garage.

I also have an older Parker(88' 2520).My restoration consisted of the same thing you are going through now.I replaced the 2 aluminum fuel tanks with 1 large Moeler composit tank(stringer work had to be done anyway).I plumbed it to be fueled from either side of boat.It's amazing how well these hulls will clean up.My question is about the Wynn replacement front windows.Mine are functional but,the frames and bedding look like crap.When ordering new replacments from Wynn,is this a standard order?Do I just tell them what I have,or do I have to take measurement for them?

It could go either way, but I suspect that they would have the templates from years gone by. Call Them. :)

warthog5":3pfcche2 said:
I could go either way, but I suspect that they would have the templates from years gone by. Call Them. :)

Yes, and have your hull ID number handy when you do call.
Either Wynn or Parker could help you with replacement windows if you give them your HIN.

Back