Adding a Windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyboy

Reaction score
i want to add a windlass to my 2000 2520 and i was wondering what peoples thoughts were on what company and model windlass i should install. thank you.

I have a couple of SS Lewmar Pros. These is available as a 700 or 1000. The 1000 is only about a $100 more so I'd go for more power. They are also available as a free fall model or power-down. I prefer the power down version but I understand that some fishermen prefer the free fall because it gets the anchor to the bottom quicker. But I don't fish so don't ask me!

I fish and have a power down model on my 2520 ,when powering down I have to wait for the anchor to catch up with the rode,I don't see it impeding on my placement

I have a couple of SS Lewmar Pros. These is available as a 700 or 1000. The 1000 is only about a $100 more so I'd go for more power. They are also available as a free fall

Yes the 1000 may have a little more power? BUT! It takes a larger Rode size. This means less rode in your anchor locker.
That size may not fit your cleates well either.

700 Free Fall is what you want.
Powering down in a windy or faster moving current will always have you off the exact spot you want to be.

The 700 uses 1/4in BBB or G4 chain...use the length of the boat as a guide for length of chain. and 1/2in line.

Good point on the rode size Warthog.

I only use 8-plait rode behind my chain. It lays down flat and doesn't hockle up so it flows in and out smoothly and you will likely be able to put as much rode in the locker as you want.

And BTW, everybody needs to know that you MUST match the gypsy and the chain. Check and then double-check the specs of both the chain and the gypsy before you pull the trigger on the order.

Back