Ahhhh !!! to purchase a 2x or a 4x.......

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelyNauti

Reaction score
Montauk lat 41.04'18.33N lon 71.55'33.05 W
Hi All

Sorry i havent been on line in months, been busy with Montauk Fishing Gear, Have Vegas ICAST show in a few weeks.

I have answered this question for a few before but just felt like reposting if again.

I want to be clear , I love Evinrude , my last boat had an Etec and it was at least 30 % better than my buddies comparable yammies on gas......But i am a MATH MAN

look at this

60 trips per year i avg at least..... 35 miles minimum per trip and i used at least 2/3 to a full gallon of oil, per trip minimum of XD 50 @ 30$

gas was avg. 1.42mpg @4.3 a gallon =150 but u have to add the oil !!! @ 1.16 per mile !!!!

a season's oil is is 1800 x 5 years is $9000 in oil.....NOT FOR ME !!!

i have two (TWO) 225 4x yammies on my 2820 and average trips the same and oil consumption is maybe 5% more for TWO MOTORS with no oil !!!......

So to answer your question I cannot afford to waste $9000 and dont miss buying oil !!!!

its costs me $158 bucks to change my oil once a season !!!

I still love the power of Evinrude and when they finish their new 4x i will buy it on my next boat !!!!

2x will be phased out by 2015 due to EPA and i am told its still on schedule ...

A deal is only a deal if you save money from the get go, I get up , go fishing and dont buy oil !!!

I hope i helped a little

From your subject heading I thought you were talking about T-shirts.
I only burn oil, diesel that is.

P

What is the design reason for burning that much oil in the Etec? I run a 1986 Mercury 135 Black Max 2-stroke. I run 20-30 miles and more each outing and don't go thru that much oil. I buy a gallon once a year. I still have oil left over from last year. Just added a gallon tonight. I suspect it will take me thru theyear and into next, too. Does the Etec burn oil or gas for power?
John

GotChrist?":37mj7pty said:
What is the design reason for burning that much oil in the Etec? I run a 1986 Mercury 135 Black Max 2-stroke. I run 20-30 miles and more each outing and don't go thru that much oil. I buy a gallon once a year. I still have oil left over from last year. Just added a gallon tonight. I suspect it will take me thru theyear and into next, too. Does the Etec burn oil or gas for power?
John

Really??? I say BS.

How many 20-30 mile outings a year? One?

No offense but I think your numbers are a little off.

^What Bryan said. We use our 2 stroke 2009 8hp yamaha "not too much" each season and we go through about 1.5 gallons of oil a season.

Lets say the average ratio is 50 gallons Gas to 1 gallon Oil. If your engine gets say 2 miles per gallon, you can go only 100 miles on a gallon of oil. I know etecs are a little better then this ratio. How can a gallon last you a season, unless you don't use boat.

I try to go out every Saturday. Today I went with a friend. Mine stayed parked on its trailer. Honest, I do not buy but one gallon a year. I know I have an extra sitting around somewhere but cannot find it that I bought last year. I have a 3 gallone external oil tank . It's about 3/4 full now as I just added a fresh gallon of oil. I don't use much gas. Maybe it's a God thing, a blessing for sure, or just the joy of having a light aluminum boat that gets great gas mileage. Beats me. Just sharing.

Remotely possible....

I had one of those old 2.0 liter Merc v6s. That thing was crazy efficient at cruise.

Yup, God is letting rape, murder and child abuse run rampant all over the planet but darned if He's going to let you burn too much oil.

It is NOT a blessing, it was NOT 'bestowed upon you by God', it is simple mechanical operations and math.

Sorry for the rant but that sort of nonsense just irritates me.

Parker23":a9f669ur said:
Lets say the average ratio is 50 gallons Gas to 1 gallon Oil. If your engine gets say 2 miles per gallon, you can go only 100 miles on a gallon of oil. I know etecs are a little better then this ratio.
E-Tecs or any direct-injected new technology 2-stroke will burn about 60:1 on std oil, but the E-Tec can be programmed to run @ 100:1, but it mandates the full synthetic and highly dispersement-rich oil @ $50 - $60 per gallon (at least around here).

To put it another way, if running 100:1 ration and costing $50 per gallon, this example ADDS 50-cents per gallon of fuel consumed, just for the oil used. I once burned 1200 gallons of fuel in a season, so that would be $600 extra for that season alone.

So I come up with an extra $3K in oil bills for 5-years use .. going by my 'worst case' numbers.

domo.jpg
of course that's plus shipping.

My E-tec averaged 85 - 90 to one and I liked the idea of having new fresh oil going thru my motor only once.

I agree it's probably more overall for the 2s, but do you consider the cost that gallon of gas that you buy instead of the gallon of oil you use and the fact that the oil increases the octane? What about the Ring Free that you need to add? And what about oil/filter changes for the 4s - are they figured in? And the time/aggrivation of changing oil - what if your boat is slipped and you have to pay to have it hauled to change the oil?

Just sayin'.

All prognostications are really black or white if not the old Chevy vs.Ford. I would agree that an oil change on a 4-stroke would be ballpark $150 to do yourself and a vacuum changed would help to do so on the water. For me, that's a lot better than the $600 per season for expensive DI 2-stroke oil. But we can't deny the outrageous horsepower to weight advantage of the 2-strokes, as well as a steep thrust curve (which 4-strokes don't publish, as they don't want you to see it - haha!).

But still, if repowering tomorrow, it would be a Zuke 250hp or 300hp on my stern. I myself would not intentionally buy a Yam 4-S, darn things are filtered beyond all reasonable belief ...

Your mileage may vary ...

I like to think most will burn cheaper oils costing around 16 to 23 per gallon ,these "lesser" quality oils burn worse/more !!!!

but ill still error on the side of "Rough" sea conditions and a full season of 60 trips at 35 miles average for me so thats about 2100 miles divided by 40 to be nice = 50 gallons of XD 53 @ $35 a gallon hummmmmm=====$1855 per season , 5 seasons thats $9275 for me ouch !!!!

even if i went gentle and with good seas @ 50 miles of gas to one gallon thats 42 gallon or $1475 per season x 5 years or $7350
or crazy at 60 miles of gas to one gallon ===35 gallons =$1225 a season 5 years $6125 .....

I WILL STILL BUY THE FOUR STROKE !!! im not gonna give those darn oil barrons any more of my money than i have too !!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a 4 stroke you are supposed to change your oil every 50 hours...more if you are idling a lot. So, if you are running to your fishing grounds turning off your motor and then restarting it for your return journey your numbers make sense.

My typical run is 20-40 miles followed by 8-10 hours of trolling or idling followed by the run home. For my style of fishing I would be having an oil change every 4-5 trips with a 4 stroke....meanwhile much less oil is burned by an etec at trolling speeds....I'm pretty sure for a trolling type fisherman the numbers come closer to being a wash! Not to mention that my boat is not parked in my driveway, so changing my own oil would not be an option...if there was a Jiffy Lube for boats that would be helpful, but as it is, to me I would be looking at time off the water for oil changes.

PS...congrats on getting 60 trips a year...I'm jealouse!

Back