Almost a disaster... and a couple of anchor chain/splice??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
Karen and I went out of Cape Charles this afternoon for a bit of spade fishing. As usual, the wind and wave predictions were all off and there was a nice South wind at about 15 and building instead of the predicted 5 to 10. But, I’ve fished Plantation Light enough to know how in just about any condition.

I anchored and drifted toward the rock pile and got the stern in about 18 feet of water. I kept the engine running in case of the anchor pulling or slipping.

We caught a dink of a spade right away and I was hopeful as I was marking them at 10 feet. I had four lines out and was getting nibbles but no other hookups.

In about 30 minutes the winds and the waves were kicking and 10 minutes later I decided it was only going to get worse. The rollers were approaching 3 feet and crashing on the structure.

I was motoring slowly taking up rode (with the push of a button… strenuous work I know..) when I saw the chain coming up. As the splice came up over the roller I thought, “that splice looks like it needs some work” and as the thought finished, so did the splice. The chain and anchor made a free fall for the bottom while the rode disappeared into the anchor locker.

I hate to think of what would have happened if it had given up when I was distracted or with a 3 foot roller heading toward the rocks. It would have been a sad and painful story to tell. :cry:

I’m off till Sunday and need to get out cobia fishing Wednesday so tomorrow I’ll make a trip to Va. Beach/Norfolk to get new chain and rode. I’ll use the old rode for a spare anchor. I might use my old danforth anchor and try dredging up the Delta. It should stay put on the bottom. (fortunately no one saw me loose it!)

A couple of questions: what size chain do I need to run through the Lewmar windlass?… I never measured the chain. I think it is 1/4" chain and 1/2 inch rode.

Is it hard to splice rode to chain or should I stick with pre-fab equipment?

Well..... considering what might have happened if I had stayed another 10 or 15 minutes.... I guess it is a small price to pay.

You can be sure I'll be checking that splice more closely! During the last couple of weeks I've spend many hours anchored up drum fishing and now cobia fishing.....in some rough waters some days.

Be Safe!

Richard

I would check with Lewmar and make sure I bought the right size
and quality chain and rode for the size windlass you have.
I have a powerwinch windlass and I use the prefab combo from powerwinch for my size windlass..It does make a difference..

I went to WestMarine and bought there premade setup with 20' 1/4 chain and 250' rode. Told them I could get it cheaper at BoatersWorld and they matched the price.
Check with www.lewmar.com

Splicing rope is really no problem, it just takes a few minutes. I'm sure you can find some demo's on the internet to show you how. I've found you should redo that conection every year or two.

When I swapped out the 10' of chain for 30', I used 1/4" BBB chain and 250' of 1/2 rope.

Splicing rope to chain is not hard, but someone should show you how to do it the first time. Must be done right so that the splice will go through the windlass gypsie.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":177wpuxh said:
When I swapped out the 10' of chain for 30', I used 1/4" BBB chain and 250' of 1/2 rope.

Good advice.

BBB chain works best in the gypsy, and using 30' of it is just plain smart. BBB is made to be used through a windlass and fits the 'teeth' with closer tolerance.

One reason that you might have lost your line is due to chafe of the splice on the rocks. 30' won't completely eliminate that, but it will get your splice up off the bottom to minimize chafe, and give you greater holding power by adding catenary when the seas bump up.

Megabyte":3f49qibt said:
Porkchunker":3f49qibt said:

Good advice.

BBB chain works best in the gypsy, and using 30' of it is just plain smart. BBB is made to be used through a windlass and fits the 'teeth' with closer tolerance.

One reason that you might have lost your line is due to chafe of the splice on the rocks. 30' won't completely eliminate that, but it will get your splice up off the bottom to minimize chafe, and give you greater holding power by adding catenary when the seas bump up.

There could have been some chaffing…. More likely ignorance and neglect!

There is no evidence of any unusual wear above the splice.

esfishdoc":1272r5jk said:
There could have been some chaffing…. More likely ignorance and neglect!

From what I know of the owner... none of either. It just is what it is.
Normal "wear and tear". :wink:

esfishdoc":flw8oyfr said:
A couple of questions: what size chain do I need to run through the Lewmar windlass?… I never measured the chain. I think it is 1/4" chain and 1/2 inch rode.

Richard

The answer is: It depends on which Lewmar you have. It's probably either 1/4 inch G4 chain and 1/2" line or, on the bigger Lewmars (1000 series) it's 5/16 inch G4 chain and either 5/8" line. BBB is fine.

Back