Anchors?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wharf rat

Reaction score
I have a 2120 dvsc and I am interestred in anchors. What is a prefered type? How big? How much chain should I rig it with? We drift while bottom fishing rocky reefs but anchor in sand/mud. Any insight from experienced captains of the Parker klan would be appreciated. Thank You. ej :?:

I use a Bruce or Claw anchor
With 16 ft of stainless 3/8 chain
Some use 1 ft per foot of boat
But I have found that for my 2120 SC
The Claw and 16ft of SS chain works very well
And Not to tough to raise up by hand and roller

Attachments

• Parker.JPG
    Parker.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 295
I don't have a roller, just store in anchor locker. The locker size would only fit a #8 danforth style. With my T-Top and larger console a good breeze over 10kts, she would sail and not hold.
I bought a #13 ad cut 1.25" off each end of the bar so it would fit in locker. The larger flukes and longer heavier shaft do the trick. 20' of chain. This way i only had to buy a new hook and not the whole set-up. You can also try just loads of chain with smaller anchor too.

i'm using a 13# danforth on a roller with a powerwinch freefall windlass. THe roller is just mounted to the bow and works pretty well. Behind that i'm using 30' of acco high test chain, and I have about 400' of 1/2" anchor line in the locker.

this setup allows me to anchor in stiff currents and winds. A large portion of my anchoring is done on mussel beds on the edge of shipping channels for bass, and lots of chain is the key to getting a good hold. Danforths have always done extremely well for me in all situations...

I like a danforth because you can 'float' it out by tying it off after it breaks loose from the bottom and back down hard on it, the water pressure floats it right to the surface - this works nice for us when we are bottom fishing and need to reset or move.

the windlass works OK, its nice to have sometimes, but it can be a royal PITA when it wants to be. Eventually when it annoys me enough I'll save for a lewmar freefall and some 8plait and be done with it.

I also use a 13# danforth. I have 16 feet of chain, connected in two 8 foot sections with a shackle. When we are not in the ocean, I take a section of chain out. I do alot of anchoring in the bay, and the 8' of chain just makes it a little easier to pull in.

Back