Another Trolling Motor Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFD27

Reaction score
Looking to outfit my 2011 1801 this year with an 80lb thrust Minn Kota. Only issue I’m running into is shaft length. From my research guys normally run the 60” but I’ve read a few comments that wish they had a 72”. I’m looking to use this motor back bay fluking and striper fishing along with wreck/bottom fishing outfront in 2ft or less seas. Will the 60” shaft fit the bill or just step up to the 72” ?

I have a 99 1800 and have a 62" riptide Fortrex and it works fine. Believe from 2000 on however the freeboard increase by 1 1/2" to 2". Still think it will work unless your in really rough water.

I would go with the 72" if for no other reason than you will erase the doubt. It would be bad to have the 60" and it cavitates because it is too near the surface. I just put a 87" on my 23DVCC and people told me 72" would work. I took it out to test it last weekend and the prop is about 2 feet under water. I think the 72" would come out in a little bit of chop.

I’m probably going to end up with the 72” but I’m hoping it doesn’t look goofy on the bow.

I had a Scout195 SF with a 60" 80# thrust and it was a perfect match. I fished the wrecks out front and the back bays. I believe the bow on the scout is higher than an 1801 but couldn't prove it.
That being said longer is always better. The 60" just fit on the bow really nice and when I had issues with cavitation it was time to go home anyways.

I know that doesn't answer your question, just wanted to share my experience.

I have an 1801 with a 60 inch Motorguide Xi5....plenty of length. If I added another 12 inches the trolling motor head would be hanging over the side of the boat. Not a good idea for trailing or docking. Make sure the install allows the anchor locker to open when the motor is deployed or stowed. You will also have to add side nav lights like the Mini Taco side lights (barely visible in the picture).
c303c347b40e793e9fafa5949c63c522.jpg

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Inshore Chaser":a9wtxvyv said:
I have an 1801 with a 60 inch Motorguide Xi5....plenty of length. If I added another 12 inches the trolling motor head would be hanging over the side of the boat. Not a good idea for trailing or docking. Make sure the install allows the anchor locker to open when the motor is deployed or stowed. You will also have to add side nav lights like the Mini Taco side lights (barely visible in the picture).
c303c347b40e793e9fafa5949c63c522.jpg

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

How much of the motor is underwater in flat conditions? That’s what I’m worried about with the 72” shaft is it not stowing correctly or hanging over. Last thing I’d want to do is smack that off the dock or a piling. I do know I’ll have to rerun the Nav lights. Was yours professionally installed or DIY?

I did the install. I am moving to the Taco flush mount red/green nav lights mounted just above the rub rail. You need to measure from the waterline to the top of your bow cap and see what you have. You will lose about 6" of shaft length to the mounting bracket and collar.

1990 1800 with a 60” 80lb Riptide. I wouldn’t want a 72” on mine. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhodan 24V 80 pound 60" shaft on my 1801. No problems except when the wind is greater than 15knts and fighting current in the st. johns river. She barely holds spot lock when winds exceed 15knts w/ 5 knot current. But, does well 80% of the time.

You guys take a look at a Shuttle Slide mount....I've installed 1 so far.....Fixing to do more.
TM installs are coming out of the wood work now.

Back